College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

ok, i guess one person said it.

he's not wrong though.  we won't have mass gatherings like we did before without a vaccine or reliable treatment.  100,000 people in a stadium or a music festival won't be happening, but the country will open up and progressively get back to normal.  cfb as we want it (full stadiums) won't be a part of that though. at least not this year.  or maybe as country we'll just take our chances.  we'll see.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

ok, i guess one person said it.

he's not wrong though.  we won't have mass gatherings like we did before without a vaccine or reliable treatment.  100,000 people in a stadium or a music festival won't be happening, but the country will open up and progressively get back to normal.  cfb as we want it (full stadiums) won't be a part of that though. at least not this year.  or maybe as country we'll just take our chances.  we'll see.

Well, I happen to live in the city where that one person is the mayor, so it’s kind of a big deal around here. 
I do believe you are right however, especially on the West Coast. There is no way those in charge will allow large gatherings in 2020. And who the fuck knows about 2021. 

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I would think a lot of teams will test players as they return to campus and plenty of positive tests will pop up before the first practice. 

Exactly.  This isn't something they're only going to get from playing football.  They're out there interacting and mingling and getting it right now, the ones that aren't getting it right now will be getting it in June, and the ones that aren't getting it in June will be getting it in July and August.  Our current lens can't possibly reflect the reality of three months from now.  Things will look very different in September.

• Like 1

Politics in Covid-19 reported deaths in an election year??

5. Forgive me for getting a bit political this week, though frankly, politics are going to play a major role in the story most of you are here to read about. I refer you to the Colorado Sun, which had a fascinating story this weekend about COVID-19 deaths in the Rocky Mountain State. From The Sun:

The number of coronavirus deaths in Colorado State figures topped 1,000 earlier this week, and the number stood at 1,150 deaths as of Friday afternoon. But officials with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment revealed during a call with reporters that that number does not represent the number of people who have died due to COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

Instead, the death figure CDPHE has been providing for weeks is more accurately described as the number of people with COVID-19 who have died — for any reason. The number of people who have died and have COVID-19 listed on their death certificate is 24% lower: 878, according to CDPHE’s latest figures.

“We recognize that there certainly has been confusion around this topic,” Dr. Rachel Herlihy, the state epidemiologist, said during the call.

But even this latest revelation does little to clarify the battle over the virus’ death toll, which has become one of the most contentious and politically rancorous fights of the pandemic. A Republican state representative has called for a criminal investigation of CDPHE. The coroner of Montezuma County joined the media call unexpectedly Friday to directly question state officials about their reporting of death numbers. And politicians and political activists across the country have engaged in heated debate about whether the pandemic’s toll has been inflated or undercounted.

The issue even drew a pointed response from Gov. Jared Polis at his own news conference on Friday.

“What the people of Colorado want to know is not who died with COVID-19, but who died of COVID-19,” said Polis, who has rarely expressed such public frustration with his health leadership before. “And the numbers are very close, of course. There’s only a few cases that we’re aware of where there is some gray area. But where there is a gray area, we should always use — for reporting — the numbers that come from the physician or the coroner that actually addressed the patient or inspected the body.”

Come on. I mean, really, come the blank on. As a society, with our economy in shambles, there’s no room for this game. Listen, every life is precious. Every life should be mourned when it is lost (Note: I still don’t want a funeral or memorial service when I die; don’t get it twisted). However, when an 84-year-old man in hospice contracts coronavirus and dies, he didn’t die from COVID-19. He died with it, and there’s a distinction. There’s a very real distinction.

If, conversely, a 40-year-old healthy woman contracts coronavirus and dies of COVID-19, we should all be digging into how that happened. Fortunately, that’s not happening much.

And until it does, and until you can prove to me that it does, I’m growing more and more skeptical of the government entities producing these COVID-19 numbers. I don’t know if they’re politically motivated, financially motivated or both, but I no longer trust them even a little bit.

And I’m hardly alone.

https://n.rivals.com/news/mccready-10-weekend-thoughts-presented-by-harry-alexander-200?ga_source=tm

On 5/16/2020 at 8:33 PM, utee94 said:

Exactly.  This isn't something they're only going to get from playing football.  They're out there interacting and mingling and getting it right now, the ones that aren't getting it right now will be getting it in June, and the ones that aren't getting it in June will be getting it in July and August.  Our current lens can't possibly reflect the reality of three months from now.  Things will look very different in September.

Half joking - We should form teams of players who have already had it.  The roster grows as the season goes on.  And only fans who have already had it can attend.  Free admission.  Sit as close together as you like.  The crowds grow as the season goes on.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1

Politics in Covid-19 reported deaths in an election year??
5. Forgive me for getting a bit political this week, though frankly, politics are going to play a major role in the story most of you are here to read about. I refer you to the Colorado Sun, which had a fascinating story this weekend about COVID-19 deaths in the Rocky Mountain State. From The Sun:
The number of coronavirus deaths in Colorado State figures topped 1,000 earlier this week, and the number stood at 1,150 deaths as of Friday afternoon. But officials with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment revealed during a call with reporters that that number does not represent the number of people who have died due to COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
Instead, the death figure CDPHE has been providing for weeks is more accurately described as the number of people with COVID-19 who have died — for any reason. The number of people who have died and have COVID-19 listed on their death certificate is 24% lower: 878, according to CDPHE’s latest figures.
“We recognize that there certainly has been confusion around this topic,” Dr. Rachel Herlihy, the state epidemiologist, said during the call.
But even this latest revelation does little to clarify the battle over the virus’ death toll, which has become one of the most contentious and politically rancorous fights of the pandemic. A Republican state representative has called for a criminal investigation of CDPHE. The coroner of Montezuma County joined the media call unexpectedly Friday to directly question state officials about their reporting of death numbers. And politicians and political activists across the country have engaged in heated debate about whether the pandemic’s toll has been inflated or undercounted.
The issue even drew a pointed response from Gov. Jared Polis at his own news conference on Friday.
“What the people of Colorado want to know is not who died with COVID-19, but who died of COVID-19,” said Polis, who has rarely expressed such public frustration with his health leadership before. “And the numbers are very close, of course. There’s only a few cases that we’re aware of where there is some gray area. But where there is a gray area, we should always use — for reporting — the numbers that come from the physician or the coroner that actually addressed the patient or inspected the body.”
Come on. I mean, really, come the blank on. As a society, with our economy in shambles, there’s no room for this game. Listen, every life is precious. Every life should be mourned when it is lost (Note: I still don’t want a funeral or memorial service when I die; don’t get it twisted). However, when an 84-year-old man in hospice contracts coronavirus and dies, he didn’t die from COVID-19. He died with it, and there’s a distinction. There’s a very real distinction.
If, conversely, a 40-year-old healthy woman contracts coronavirus and dies of COVID-19, we should all be digging into how that happened. Fortunately, that’s not happening much.
And until it does, and until you can prove to me that it does, I’m growing more and more skeptical of the government entities producing these COVID-19 numbers. I don’t know if they’re politically motivated, financially motivated or both, but I no longer trust them even a little bit.
And I’m hardly alone.
https://n.rivals.com/news/mccready-10-weekend-thoughts-presented-by-harry-alexander-200?ga_source=tm

Well if the numbers are like Texas, then there’s largely been underreporting of C19 deaths when looking at the spike in overall mortality in correlation with the disease. The spike was 4x that of reported C19 deaths in the 1st month.

Largely, when a person comes from home as dead with pneumonia, but no test recorded, then they are not counted as a C19 death. Texas, for instance, is bottom 5 in insured patients and was bottom 5 in C19 testing for March and April. You do the math.

Right now, a close examination of the non-homicide trends can get you pretty close to the actual mortality of C19.

Colorado I dont know about.

Here's a pretty good article re: what the gameday experience of an MLB player would be like under their new plan to return to work. Interesting to read keeping in mind how some of things things would apply to a football game...

The immensity of MLB's plan to return through a daunting health-and-safety protocol https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29186093

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This is unnecessary. Is there something worse than a sports reporter going political?

I know you love to post links and tweets and gifs (bot) but this is a no 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 10:31 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You’ll probably also have some teams (looking at you SEC) covering up positive tests for asymptomatic players

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if all the SEC teams had 95% of players show up to camp Kung Flu positive.  "Gosh, what a coincidence!"  And then they'll all play each other and ESPN will declare one of them the natl champ.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:11 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Sitting in a plexiglass box in DKR during August should be pleasant

Imagine being wedged in the 18 inches of space between the plexiglass panels at Kroger Field. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

So no conference championships? No bowls? No playoffs? Or start them in December? Will those games even gave fans?

Do we cut 3 weeks off by getting rid of the non conference games to sneak in a playoff before turkey day? 

Edited by Js1

On 5/14/2020 at 10:57 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29176482/patient-bringing-football-players-back-campus

Lincoln nails it.  SEC schools going way too fast.  Fuck it up early and forget about it.  But SEC speed, so...

Auburn and Georgia have said they will have fall football.

Edited by bullet
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So no conference championships? No bowls? No playoffs? Or start them in December? Will those games even gave fans?

Do we cut 3 weeks off by getting rid of the non conference games to sneak in a playoff before turkey day? 

All that stuff goes on as normal, just like past years when campus closes mid-December but FB teams and others are allowed to stay for their competitions.

This whole rushed schedule is just about money. Get more kids signed and paid up now; the fast-tracked schedule gives them some cushion if they need to close for a couple weeks at some point (without refunding any tuition). They have zero idea what's going to happen. I don't blame them for being pragmatic about it.

2 minutes ago, Bartles said:

All that stuff goes on as normal, just like past years when campus closes mid-December but FB teams and others are allowed to stay for their competitions.

This whole rushed schedule is just about money. Get more kids signed and paid up now; the fast-tracked schedule gives them some cushion if they need to close for a couple weeks at some point (without refunding any tuition). They have zero idea what's going to happen. I don't blame them for being pragmatic about it.

I know they go on after school ends in normal times. 

These reeks of schools saying “we don’t think it’ll be safe for students after November” (I.e, an anticipated resurgence) but student athletes should stay on campus and travel to bowls and playoffs? 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I know they go on after school ends in normal times. 

These reeks of schools saying “we don’t think it’ll be safe for students after November” (I.e, an anticipated resurgence) but student athletes should stay on campus and travel to bowls and playoffs? 

When students go home for Fall break there's no guarantee they'll have access to daily testing. I imagine the football players will be tested daily by campus medical staff, their body temps will be monitored multiple times per day, and if someone either gets sick or shows symptoms they'll be quarantined until cleared. Roster sizes will also be cut dramatically, and probably only 52 players will be able to travel. No bands. No fans. 

It will be extremely controlled, but honestly they'll be safer from coronavirus than most people grocery shopping at walmart wearing ppe

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

When students go home for Fall break there's no guarantee they'll have access to daily testing. I imagine the football players will be tested daily by campus medical staff, their body temps will be monitored multiple times per day, and if someone either gets sick or shows symptoms they'll be quarantined until cleared. Roster sizes will also be cut dramatically, and probably only 52 players will be able to travel. No bands. No fans. 

It will be extremely controlled, but honestly they'll be safer from coronavirus than most people grocery shopping at walmart wearing ppe

So you’re saying we can still have volleyball?!

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So you’re saying we can still have volleyball?!

I don't see why not. I think with medical clearances, the volleyball court/soccer field/football field/ etc will be the safest area outside your own home. Although no vaccine is expected until early-mid next year, the test time turnaround is supposed to continue to get faster, so maybe all players have to take a covid test an hour or two before taking the field and if they are clear then they get to play. 

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

You think entire football rosters across D1 will be getting tested daily? lol. We don’t have anywhere near that kind of testing capacity. Hell, the NBA, which has about the same number of players as 7 football teams has voiced a ton of concerns about blowback over the number of tests they’d have to use to test their players every game day. 

And if you have to quarantine a player for 14 days after they show symptoms, then entire rosters will get decimated. Not to mention the whole issue of asymptomatic carriers who could spread it to most of the team.  This is not anywhere near as simple or as controlled as you’re making it out to be. 

• Like 4

The analogy is flawed because there is no way to completely eradicate car crashes. Infectious diseases, on the other hand....

Sure there is, ban private vehicle ownership and take away individual drivng priveleges. Of course that wont eliminate accidents, but the fault will now lie with local/state/federal transportation agencies..and private corporations instead of individuals.

Edit- i dont want to live in such a world, just sayin..

A year from now this space will be filled with accusatory rants blaming utter chaos and death on the impatience and ignorance of teeing up football in 2020 instead of continuing distancing protocols and nixing mass gatherings.

Face it - we have become addicted to the spectacle of football; watching it on screens and in person, celebrating it in every way from tailgating to naming babies after players and coaches, and planning summer, fall and winter calendars around it.  

You damn well know in the cave dweller part of your brain stem that there is a dangerous predator outside the cave and you and your family should not go outside or he will probably kill you and eat you.  Why not be sensible and live to tailgate and enjoy your rival's humiliating losses another day?

Edited by Bama Llama
Xizybeluga
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You think entire football rosters across D1 will be getting tested daily? lol. We don’t have anywhere near that kind of testing capacity. Hell, the NBA, which has about the same number of players as 7 football teams has voiced a ton of concerns about blowback over the number of tests they’d have to use to test their players every game day. 

And if you have to quarantine a player for 14 days after they show symptoms, then entire rosters will get decimated. Not to mention the whole issue of asymptomatic carriers who could spread it to most of the team.  This is not anywhere near as simple or as controlled as you’re making it out to be. 

Agreed.

What happens when a player tests positive and his family sues the school because being a student athlete is necessary to pay for his education? What about the other teammates that test positive as a result of neglect or being in the vicinity of a sneeze on campus? Or an infected person not showing symptoms on the team plane to play an away game?

You think the Utah States of the world want to take those risks? NFL players have a huge financial incentive to play games. So do schools that take in millions. College kids do not. 

On 5/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, Newy25 said:

More emotional and personal arguments. My opinions, formed from the information are invalid because they contradict your belief system. Notice how you or anyone else will not bring anything other than hysterical scenarios when discussing this? 

I’m a sociopath for wanting to let healthy, young athletes choose to play sports? And for those who want to take away that choice, leaving many sports programs to close and deprive many without scholarships what does that make you? Do you think you are some sort of white knight by supporting a position that will likely lead to a very large percentage of student athletes without scholarships ultimately?  Let’s have an honest discussion about the risks, how to mitigate those risks and what the consequences to all student athletes will be if we cancel football. No more tweets, personal anecdotes, outliers but actual discussion based in the facts that people can make informed decisions on.

There are approximately 1,000 more Covid hospitalizations in GA since we had this conversation. Over 7,000 now

46 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:
Polio is making a gradual comeback in areas of the world with religious extremism. Don't shoot the messenger.

Hell measles was essentially eradicated in this country but is making a comeback because of stupid people.

I assume you're basing that assertion on the statistics coming out of Brazos County.

• Like 1