College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

As far as large crowds, I wonder if there is a way for temperature checks into the stadium? Like they do now with a metal detector scan, would it be too cumbersome to add a temperature check? If they could manage something like that it certainly should increase the odd of having more fans. 

Edited by Newy25

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

As far as large crowds, I wonder if there is a way for temperature checks into the stadium? Like they do know with a metal detector scan, wound it be too cumbersome to add a temperature check? If they could manage something like that it certainly should increase the odd of having more fans. 

That's a odd wound. 

On 6/4/2020 at 7:18 AM, CooterBrown said:

My boss, Husker grad, went on a rant on Tuesday about how it was the flu and nearly every death associated with it was intentionally mislabeled as COVID to get federal money.

We've got a guy at work parroting the same thing continually. True or not? Heck if I know.

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

As far as large crowds, I wonder if there is a way for temperature checks into the stadium? Like they do now with a metal detector scan, would it be too cumbersome to add a temperature check? If they could manage something like that it certainly should increase the odd of having more fans. 

Temperature checks are pretty much useless because you can still be infected and spread it without a fever.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

We've got a guy at work parroting the same thing continually. True or not? Heck if I know.

Like 1/3 of the DT thread was people spreading this lie about hospitals lying about coronavirus deaths for money. 

It's the siren call of the common people - the morons. 

• Like 4

They sort of handle temp checks at hospitals like they would bag or ticket check/scans at stadiums. You've got like three or four people you can branch off to, they scan your forehead and squirt some hand sanitizer in your hands. Obviously the number of people going to the hospital is small in comparison but I'm sure it could be done if a school were so inclined. The real issue is getting people to stand in those lines 6 feet apart. Maybe were not worrying about that anymore if the plan is to pack stadiums.

I dont know about that, but i have heard the 'rona has miraculously decreased the number of deaths from normal flu, complications of COPD, Empysema etc the past 5 months..

So i guess its both a curse and blessing? Lol..
  • Like 1

I'd be shocked if they do temp checks at major stadiums. They cost money and aren't totally reliable. Can you imagine some minimum wage or maybe even health care volunteer telling a five-figure donor he can't go to the game because the gun says he's got a fever?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:
1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Read more  

They sort of handle temp checks at hospitals like they would bag or ticket check/scans at stadiums. You've got like three or four people you can branch off to, they scan your forehead and squirt some hand sanitizer in your hands. Obviously the number of people going to the hospital is small in comparison but I'm sure it could be done if a school were so inclined. The real issue is getting people to stand in those lines 6 feet apart. Maybe were not worrying about that anymore if the plan is to pack stadiums.

Narrator: "that's not hand sanitizer"

Temp checks are kind of useless anyway and definitely useless early in the year when people are out tailgating in 90+degree weather all day. I don't know that it's worth the trouble.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Cell-enabled rectal model on a chastity belt to prevent you from removing it. The second you go above 98.6 it gives you an electric shock until you’re outside the stadium. Not sure whether I would exit any faster than I did during Rout 66...

Edited by Ignatius

8 minutes ago, nnm said:

Good luck with a temperature check on fans in Texas in September/October. Everyone will be above 100. 

Disney World is doing it in Florida and I believe they'll have "cool down tents" near the temperature check so those that fail can see if their temperature can be lowered. It's gonna be a shitshow.

I dont know about that, but i have heard the 'rona has miraculously decreased the number of deaths from normal flu, complications of COPD, Empysema etc the past 5 months..

So i guess its both a curse and blessing? Lol..

In the first 2 months, it also increased the overall mortality. At one point, NYC’s overall mortality increased 300%. The mental gymnasts then speculated that this meant we’d see a dramatic decrease in deaths later down the line from people who were close to death anyway.

The flu, which is much less contagious than C19, probably was done in earlier than normal this year. I’d guess there were probably some February-March flu deaths coded as C19, but isolated and anecdotal.

19 hours ago, Newy25 said:

More good news out on Covid. It appears asymptomatic people are not spreading to secondary infections like we initially thought. Isolating sick people who show symptoms looks like it can be an effective way to manage going forward. 

or not...

On 5/19/2020 at 12:04 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep.  Been saying the NFL is much more realistic.  And if anything we will see a flare up in fall.  No slowdown.  So again, look at Spring when there’s some chance of vaccine and a virus slowdown even without.  Fall looks brutal.  

It seems odd, as the news continues to post of spikes in new cases, but I wonder if itś just from ramping up testing...

OoZ45jY.png

I myself have started working a 2nd job in CNA to help out vs Corona for Boomers, while still working my HVAC job...
Maybe I am selfish, (& just glad we will have football), but I think we still need phase in, at best, before full stadiums...

18 hours ago, nnm said:

Good luck with a temperature check on fans in Texas in September/October. Everyone will be above 100. 

The body temperature might rise after you've been baking in the sun for a while but that wouldn't be an issue getting into the stadium. Temperatures must be checked for everyone entering the stadium. We should be checking temperatures when people enter any building.

4 hours ago, kopp0e said:

It seems odd, as the news continues to post of spikes in new cases, but I wonder if itś just from ramping up testing...

OoZ45jY.png

I myself have started working a 2nd job in CNA to help out vs Corona for Boomers, while still working my HVAC job...
Maybe I am selfish, (& just glad we will have football), but I think we still need phase in, at best, before full stadiums...

I don’t think it’s just testing when hospitalizations (at least in Texas) are way up. 

I was thinking the other day that this may be a good year to place some small bets on long shot candidates for playoff/championship contenders.  With all the potential benching of star players and coaches for weeks at a time, there could be a lot of chaos

2 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I was thinking the other day that this may be a good year to place some small bets on long shot candidates for playoff/championship contenders.  With all the potential benching of star players and coaches for weeks at a time, there could be a lot of chaos

I’ve got a hot tip on a school not too far from here that’s rumored to be on the precipice...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Hypothetically... how much do you think it would cost to bribe gate temperature checkers at Cotton Bowl to use a doctored forehead thermometer for anyone wearing OU colors that would show a temp over the allowed level?

$3.50

2 hours ago, Pasken said:

The body temperature might rise after you've been baking in the sun for a while but that wouldn't be an issue getting into the stadium. Temperatures must be checked for everyone entering the stadium. We should be checking temperatures when people enter any building.

You don't think people spend any significant time in the heat BEFORE entering the stadium?  In your mind, are all in A/C prior to queueing up to enter DKR?

• Like 1

From CDC's weekly letter today concerning the season:

Return to the 40 Update 
On Monday, we were so happy to see about 70 upperclassmen Football players return to campus to begin the on-boarding process as they prepare for voluntary workouts that begin on June 15. I’ve said many times that I fully expect us to be playing football in front of our Longhorn faithful at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium in the fall. We continue to plan for that, and as Governor Abbott increased the percentage of fans that can be in stadiums for sporting events from his original directive of 25 percent to 50 percent last week, our optimism continues to grow. That said, our Facilities & Gameday Logistics and Donor & Fan Experiences task forces are hard at work, and we are doing our due diligence with contingency plans for every possibility. It is a fluid situation, but rest assured, we will be prepared for whatever comes our way. 

As for the first steps towards that with the return of Football student-athletes this week, the plan’s phased approach provides for best practices and keeps the safety of our student-athletes at the forefront. The on-going first phase on-boarding program consists of a robust screening process that includes COVID-19 testing, physicals and questionnaires. Mandatory physicals, daily screening and COVID-19 safety education/training conducted by Dr. James Bray and our Sports Medicine staff also must be completed before student-athletes may begin the second phase workout program.

The on-boarding will happen in two groups, beginning this week with the upperclassmen who live off-campus in order for them to start workouts on June 15. The second group will be the student-athletes who will be living on-campus. They will be on-boarded the week of June 15-19 and start workouts on June 22. The voluntary workouts will be conducted outside at the Frank Denius Practice Complex three days a week in small groups. No other athletics facilities will be used at this time. All activity will be closely monitored by the Sports Medicine and Strength & Conditioning staffs and follow a stringent set of health and safety guidelines. One of our top priorities during this stretch is training and preparing our student-athletes in successfully handling this process while creating healthy habits and COVID-19 management skills. That starts with our five pillars – hygiene, screening, social distancing, face coverings and culture! We must create a culture of diligence and responsibility with a mission of keeping others safe, along with ourselves. That was a major factor as we on-boarded staff a few weeks back and is a big emphasis now that we’re bringing back the student-athletes. Click HERE to view our COVID-19 procedures and updates. 

15 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

You don't think people spend any significant time in the heat BEFORE entering the stadium?  In your mind, are all in A/C prior to queueing up to enter DKR?

Your body temp is not going to rise from walking and waiting in line. It might rise after you've been under the sun for a few hours. Do you understand the difference between warm and cold blood?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Your body temp is not going to rise from walking and waiting in line. It might rise after you've been under the sun for a few hours. Do you understand the difference between warm and cold blood?

Interesting question asked by a vampire.

spacer.png

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Standing in between extinction in the cold
And explosive radiating growth
So the warm blood flows
Through the large four-chambered heart
Maintaining the very high metabolism rate they have
Mammal, mammal
Their names are called
They raise a paw
The bat, the cat
Dolphin and dog
Koala bear and hog

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

Again - you don't think this is something that people do before going into the stadium?

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Again - you don't think this is something that people do before going into the stadium?

No. I don't think people wait hours to get in the stadium. Also, if your temperature is rising because you're outside then that's a good sign you have heatstroke in which case you have bigger issues. If you are hydrated then your temperature shouldn't rise unless you're a lizard. 

17 minutes ago, Pasken said:

No. I don't think people wait hours to get in the stadium. Also, if your temperature is rising because you're outside then that's a good sign you have heatstroke in which case you have bigger issues. If you are hydrated then your temperature shouldn't rise unless you're a lizard. 

I believe he's probably referring to the many thousands of people who tailgate outside for several hours before a game.  

But also, yes, that shouldn't increase your body temperature.   I just got back from a 3-mile run and my temperature was 97.4, same as it was before the 3-mile run.

This may be one way to get the lizard people to expose themselves. Finally, a breakthrough!

“Bilderberg 2020 conference is postponed due to COVID and travel restrictions, but also we’d like to the people of the world to stand up for liberty and reject temperature checks. They do absolutely nothing and are a waste of humanoid resources.”

-The lizard Bilderberg Participants.
  • Like 1

So do we think tailgating in its full form will be happening? I don’t see many companies sponsoring the big tailgates off MLK. I also don’t see Bevo Blvd. happening unless it’s capped at a certain number of people. But do you close down that entire area to passers by? the alumni center might be open at 50% and probably a cap in the courtyard as well. 

I have no idea. But things will probably look very different both inside and outside the stadium.