College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Now we’re starting to see studies where even asymptomatic people have lung scarring that could cause health problems later in life. Yeah, start the Covid parties!

No symptoms but your lungs get scarred? This virus is an even bigger asshole than I thought.

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Now we’re starting to see studies where even asymptomatic people have lung scarring that could cause health problems later in life. Yeah, start the Covid parties!

Please cite them.  I'm interested in reading these studies.

• Like 1

200.gif
when one of the 350 lb 'ers gets put on a vent or dies...........
Thats not how it works, that 350 pounder is much better equipped to deal with it than a mostly sedentary 190 pounder 30 years older.

Coaching staff on the other hand.. (no pun intended)

19 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

What 15,000 D1 football players and support staff, and coaches? At a 0.1% or 1/1000 death rate, which is very conservative. That’s 15 people. Let’s say only 1/3 get it. 5 people. What do you think happens with season if even one player, coach, or support staff dies?

I agree and have said it multiple times ITT.  Presidents, Chancellors, AD and coaches have to be prepared for the "was it worth it?" question.  Was a billion dollars worth <martyred player>'s life?

The funny thing is, whatever happens with these players is likely going to happen whether football is played or not.  All these players are getting it by being college students.  They'll be going out and partying even more if football is cancelled.  

Its just if football is played, it will be blamed on football and greedy universities.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Who's done more research on this than the good people at One America News Network? They say its harmless. Why would they lie? If you're dead, you can't watch television.

OAN? Fuck that, take your politics to the proper board.

53 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

I'm hoping this is sarcasm. It's probably not. In which case you probably should consume less propaganda.

Propaganda? I said I'd rather wait for some independent study and you feel the need to post that i'm slinging propaganda? He's been tied to DC for 30 years and you think he's not influenced...People who are not influenced by DC do not get invited back to DC.

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Who's done more research on this than the good people at One America News Network? They say its harmless. Why would they lie? If you're dead, you can't watch television.

Jesus Christ. This is the shit right here....why does questioning Anthony Fauci, a man who has made some dubious assertions throughout the last 4 months, cause you to assume that the questioner is a Right-Wing conspiracy nut? I have no idea if Fauci agrees on that Chinese abstract cited above or not. But he agreed at the time with the now proven hoax article published by Lancet, which calls his judgment into question, and it certainly creates a level of skepticism and frustration about these "studies". This is fact. It is not political, for fuck's sake. 

Let me put this in hypothetical football terms: if the venerable Chip Brown writes or cites an article taking the position that the entire Longhorn team wants to revolt against a megalomaniac, alcoholic head coach, and publishes said article on the interwebs, which then gets spread and cited by opposing teams as proof of a fractured program...do you immediately agree and take this at face value? Or do you question it's veracity and motivations? Do you assume anyone who disagrees with Chip Brown, ESQ. to be a racist, gun-toting, Alex Jones and OAN watching MAGA fanboy? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

We need people to wear fucking masks. We could be so much further along with this if people weren’t so damn selfish. 

Yep. But my rights. Opening things up would work about eleventy-bazillion times better if people would just exercise some common courtesy and good sense. Nope, can't have that though, can we?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. But my rights. Opening things up would work about eleventy-bazillion times better if people would just exercise some common courtesy and good sense. Nope, can't have that though, can we?

Things were going fine until 20k people in every city decided to line up in the streets night after night for 1.5 weeks. Maybe that could be the issue... Nope, must be those Karens that went to the store and started an outbreak. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

We need people to wear fucking masks. We could be so much further along with this if people weren’t so damn selfish. 

Further along how? Let me clarify I wear a mask but until there’s an effective vaccine, the virus is going to rip through a population with ease, what exactly are we behind on? Masks aren’t going to make vaccines hurry up are they?

Back when 90% of the population was specifically stay at home unless you’re essential, we were still popping out 30k cases per day, the same amount as now.

I mean we could’ve gone full draconian as a nation and been done with it right away, start contact tracing but that only works in movies.

I guess a full mask out just delays the inevitable until a vaccine comes along which could be years. Then what?
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Things were going fine until 20k people in every city decided to line up in the streets night after night for 1.5 weeks. Maybe that could be the issue... Nope, must be those Karens that went to the store and started an outbreak. 

Or ... why not both?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I guess a full mask out just delays the inevitable until a vaccine comes along which could be years. Then what?

It's not inevitable if you delay mass infection long enough to release a vaccine. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Until there’s an effective vaccine, the virus is going to rip through a population with ease

This is just complete bullshit. There are all kinds of proven examples that mask wearing by a majority of people (doesn't have to be all) can hold off the virus until it pretty much disappears. That's been shown in small lab studies but also large populations like Hong Kong, South Korea and New Zealand.

COVID is no longer ripping through in the northeastern US, and those states have been "open" except for large indoor activities. That region is nowhere near herd immunity and contact tracing is rare and ineffective. So it's simply masks and social distancing. If we actually isolated positive testers and did contact tracing as well, the numbers would come down even more.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

This is just complete bullshit. There are all kinds of proven examples that mask wearing by a majority of people (doesn't have to be all) can hold off the virus until it pretty much disappears. That's been shown in small lab studies but also large populations like Hong Kong, South Korea and New Zealand.

COVID is no longer ripping through in the northeastern US, and those states have been "open" except for large indoor activities. That region is nowhere near herd immunity and contact tracing is rare and ineffective. So it's simply masks and social distancing. If we actually isolated positive testers and did contact tracing as well, the numbers would come down even more.

There is zero evidence that herd immunity is a possibility.  The data just isn’t there yet.  People keep hoping it will happen but science isn’t on board with it until there is more information. 

• Fuck You 1

K guess we’ll see. Hopefully with a country of 326M can corral a virus as easy as ones with 4M and 51m.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Quite a bit of evidence out there that protests didn’t lead to a big spike. 

Agree... But let's not leave out bars, restaurants, stores... packed with people... Still.

Protests didn't help coronavirus for sure...

Coronavirus will be solved before systemic racism.

/NoCR
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

K guess we’ll see. Hopefully with a country of 326M can corral a virus as easy as ones with 4M and 51m.

CT + NY + NJ + PA total around 44 million. All four embracing masks and distancing, all four with R-0 rates below 1.0. It has been corralled, though not to the point where we can sell a bunch of tickets even to outdoor events like football. There's no reason other states can't get their shit together and do the same.

Speaking of which, apologies to football fans, but the topic of this very football-relevant thread depends on discussion of the fight against COVID-19 because college football is in danger. I don't think a lot of posters are mentioning politicians names or anything. (The recent Fauci comment was I think sarcastic but it triggered some ppl)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

[Insert Jennifer Lawrence Sarcastic OK gif]

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-cb-protest-effects-coronavirus-20200622-em4wx6mwmraipjqqmg77yywfha-story.html

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/no-evidence-that-protests-have-caused-a-coronavirus-surge.html

In Minneapolis, the epicenter of the protests in late May, 1.4 percent of tests conducted on protesters last week came back positive. That was well under the state’s overall positive test rate at the time, which averaged 3.7 percent for the week. This week, 1,288 people were tested at a Boston site set up for protesters. Fourteen, or 1.08 percent, came back positive. Other locations reporting no measurable spike in cases after widely attended protests include Philadelphia, Seattle, Sacramento, and upstate New York.

happy jennifer lawrence GIF

• Like 8

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-cb-protest-effects-coronavirus-20200622-em4wx6mwmraipjqqmg77yywfha-story.html

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/no-evidence-that-protests-have-caused-a-coronavirus-surge.html

In Minneapolis, the epicenter of the protests in late May, 1.4 percent of tests conducted on protesters last week came back positive. That was well under the state’s overall positive test rate at the time, which averaged 3.7 percent for the week. This week, 1,288 people were tested at a Boston site set up for protesters. Fourteen, or 1.08 percent, came back positive. Other locations reporting no measurable spike in cases after widely attended protests include Philadelphia, Seattle, Sacramento, and upstate New York.

There are so many flaws in that article that it proves nothing lol. The fact that you think that their flawed scientific method proves something is entertaining. 

• Like 1

I still don't get how this is going to work.  I can see the NFL marginally getting by... perhaps.  But college football and college sports in general?  It just seems irresponsible.  In the cross sectional games, what if one school won't let its team travel to expose its players to a city with a massive outbreak?  Or better yet, tells another team not to come because they are coming from a population that continues to have an outbreak?  What about students that live at home that work for the team?  And frankly, intra-conference games have the same problem.  A conference can't override a school's or a state's decision on public safety.  Hang a forfeiture on them, I guess?  

And we worry about the players getting sick in this thread, but it's less the players than it is the support staff (employee and students) and the people they go home to (not all students live on campus).

I guess it will be like someone said up thread.  Some teams will play 8 games, others will play 5 or 6, and the SEC will play all of their conference games and claim the entire top 10 as COVID sweeps through the southeast.  

• Like 2

Based on those results, I'd say this is supports having fans in the stands in some capacity. How is an outdoor football game in 90 degree weather any different than 100,000 screaming people protesting for 5 or 6 hours?

To A-Tex' questions, no matter how bad a local outbreak seems, it will be possible to charter travel a CFB team in to play a game safely. The vulnerable team will be undergoing testing and also clamping down on sheltering if the environment is bad. A bunch of players and staff might have to stay away, but they should have enough to play.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some cancellations. But I really doubt any of the playoff contenders won't play their full conference schedule and at least a couple non-conf games. Their protocols will be refined by then, many positive guys will be back and they can field nearly full teams every week.

I know it sounds barbaric. There are scenarios where games will have to be shut down, especially if the campus in general is being clobbered. But it's much more likely that the virus will be a nuisance that picks people off here and there, athletes and others, without forcing entire teams to shut down. Kind of like so many grocery stores that have managed to stay open this whole time -- it's dangerous but it can be done.

39 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s probably not if everyone is masked. The problem with football will be keeping players healthy. 

I am fine with attending a game with a mask if that's what they say is required. I wear one every fucking day here. Though masks, which have been largely mandatory in Brazil since April, did not prevent the situation they are currently in, so I am also not sure they are as effective as many believe.

The health of the players themselves is not the issue. Their age demographic puts COVID and seasonal Flu around the same risk of sickness. The older support staff and older coaches are the ones that would be at risk.  

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

I am fine with attending a game with a mask if that's what they say is required. I wear one every fucking day here. Though masks, which have been largely mandatory in Brazil since April, did not prevent the situation they are currently in, so I am also not sure they are as effective as many believe.

The health of the players themselves is not the issue. Their age demographic puts COVID and seasonal Flu around the same risk of sickness. The older support staff and older coaches are the ones that would be at risk.  

They’re not going to put positive players on the field though. We may see teams not be able to field a decent percentage of their players. 

Bowlsby was on Real Sports last night and did not seem confident that a conference schedule would be completed by every team. 

In the stands I could see going 50% capacity and keeping distancing with masks on. I could even see a case for the people in the individual suites, if they filter the air for each suite individually. 

However, If you have one guy on either team that has it, then it's likely both teams would have it by the end of the game. Are we 100% sure that none of the kids has an underlying vulnerability? I think they are all great physical specimens, but I wouldn't bet the mortgage money that not a single one of them would get complications and die.

I was a wait and see guy last month, but I'm pretty pessimistic now.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 2:06 PM, Sejjr said:

Jesus Christ. This is the shit right here....why does questioning Anthony Fauci, a man who has made some dubious assertions throughout the last 4 months, cause you to assume that the questioner is a Right-Wing conspiracy nut? I have no idea if Fauci agrees on that Chinese abstract cited above or not. But he agreed at the time with the now proven hoax article published by Lancet, which calls his judgment into question, and it certainly creates a level of skepticism and frustration about these "studies". This is fact. It is not political, for fuck's sake. 

Let me put this in hypothetical football terms: if the venerable Chip Brown writes or cites an article taking the position that the entire Longhorn team wants to revolt against a megalomaniac, alcoholic head coach, and publishes said article on the interwebs, which then gets spread and cited by opposing teams as proof of a fractured program...do you immediately agree and take this at face value? Or do you question it's veracity and motivations? Do you assume anyone who disagrees with Chip Brown, ESQ. to be a racist, gun-toting, Alex Jones and OAN watching MAGA fanboy? 

• Like 2

I can’t imagine cities or states which are seemingly doing very well right now will be overly eager to host teams from major hotbed cities like like Texas State or U of H right now.  If this was soccer, do you think a country like New Zealand, a country which has effectively eradicated Covid, would be willing to host a Brazil or an America team?    Hellll no.  

• Like 3