College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

LOL. You’d be stupid as either a parent or student to accept online education at a $75k per year price tag. Defer admission and take a gap semester/year. 

The funniest part is that that they expect a good many students to pay room and board and live on campus while taking these online courses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I was thinking the same thing. An online education is not what you go to Harvard for. You might as well go to Arizona State.

Harvard has no plans to reduce tuition. Students and parents should give universities the finger and request deferrals/leaves of absence en masse. Universities are living in a bubble if they expect this to fly.  

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’d argue the degree and alumni network are pretty important whether you were instructed online or not

Obviously. I know they have top Profs at Harvard, though I know from my experience at UT that just because some professor is world famous for his or her scholarship it does not necessarily mean they are a great teacher, but you are there for the networking and association with the elite in the nation. And hopefully for the lower and middle class families who got their kids into Harvard this will only last one semester.

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’d argue the degree and alumni network are pretty important whether you were instructed online or not

Losing the relationships made with other students is a huge part of the perceived value of a degree from there. Could you imagine them trying to sell you on a full price Harvard MBA online while losing out on everything else! 

That announcement and a little quote in the CBS story both leave room for football to play even if most or all classwork is online. I think the power leagues are gonna try to hold off on a decision until next week at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Texas/ou with no Fair atmosphere would be...interesting.

I don't think we will have to worry about it, but It would probably feel like an old Cotton Bowl game, so yeah, kinda weird walking around with everything closed up. The only plus was how much easier it was to get in and out of the stadium. Far outweighed by no Hans Muller Bratwurst.

For a few weeks there, I thought we might have football.

However, its becoming 100% clear to me that we will not have a college football season.  NFL, NBA and MLB might try it.  Its gonna be a fucking mess.  Their failure will lead to CFB being cancelled.

We just have to hope that all kids get redshirts, and bring back Sam for a super senior year.  If not, god damn, fuck this world.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

For a few weeks there, I thought we might have football.

Even if we tried to have a partial schedule (to account for a few schools being no shows). I just can't see how we account for say all of the DB's being sick or quarantined for 2 games. Also, I just wouldn't get the same joy out of a victory if the other team had their 3rd string O line in. 

I've already decided that short of a major turn around (namely a vaccine) I'm watching from home. God knows I'd enjoy seeing a real game, but it's just not in the cards right now.

13 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Even if we tried to have a partial schedule (to account for a few schools being no shows). I just can't see how we account for say all of the DB's being sick or quarantined for 2 games. Also, I just wouldn't get the same joy out of a victory if the other team had their 3rd string O line in. 

I've already decided that short of a major turn around (namely a vaccine) I'm watching from home. God knows I'd enjoy seeing a real game, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Exactly, and not only that, how long before we hear about X star player gets a positive diagnosis, and they dont tell anyone because the team cant afford to lose that player?  We hear about coaches hiding injuries all the time.  They will 100000% do the same for someone with COVID.

Three posts above are my bat signal to remind y'all that the concept of returning to play is still sound! Obviously not in today's Texas but quite possibly in Sept/Oct/Nov. The idea is to get players under team control and test them often enough so that the occasional positive test doesn't affect the team any more than a normal injury.

So many fans are assuming players are gonna run wild, which of course a few will, but I think teams at the highest level will have enough pride to safely field a full team every week. Can an NFL prospect (which they all think they are) manage to have one girlfriend for three months? I think it can be done. And don't forget there is already some level of immunity.

And as for coaches playing guys they know are positive, again I suspect that number will be more than zero, but not widespread. It's a career killer and opens him and the school up to crippling legal action.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

LOL. You’d be stupid as either a parent or student to accept online education at a $75k per year price tag. Defer admission and take a gap semester/year. 

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I was thinking the same thing. An online education is not what you go to Harvard for. You might as well go to Arizona State.

Can you guys put in a call to UT?  I'm putting my now senior son through his last year, and UT has moved to what seems to be about 90% online (and moving up fast on the rail to 100%) and they ain't cutting a penny off of tuition.  Yeah Hah-vahd is Hah-vahd but hell, no university should be charging the same prices, especially student fees,which go about 95% to pay on-campus entities.

Oh well, bend over and pay the man.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Can you guys put in a call to UT?  I'm putting my now senior son through his last year, and UT has moved to what seems to be about 90% online (and moving up fast on the rail to 100%) and they ain't cutting a penny off of tuition.  Yeah Hah-vahd is Hah-vahd but hell, no university should be charging the same prices, especially student fees,which go about 95% to pay on-campus entities.

Oh well, bend over and pay the man.

Have your kid take a leave of absence. I’m sure they’d give him one. Anything he does during that time would be better than wasting money and time with this shit. I haven’t talked to one person who felt that they got a quality education from online.  Universities think they can get away with this. Parents and students need to tell them they can’t with a middle finger.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

My guess is that they CAN get away with this for a short period. Maybe three semesters. 

The incoming Freshmen are just off the adrenaline rush of getting their acceptance letters and are excited about going "off" to college. Should things square up in a year or so. They will shift back into going to class and graduate "on time" with no asterisk on their diploma.

Again, just my gut feeling, but I think they would start to feel the pressure a lot more with next years incoming class. If they see, one third the number of applications then they will know they have to act.

14 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

My guess is that they CAN get away with this for a short period. Maybe three semesters. 

The incoming Freshmen are just off the adrenaline rush of getting their acceptance letters and are excited about going "off" to college. Should things square up in a year or so. They will shift back into going to class and graduate "on time" with no asterisk on their diploma.

Again, just my gut feeling, but I think they would start to feel the pressure a lot more with next years incoming class. If they see, one third the number of applications then they will know they have to act.

The plague of vulturous plaintiffs' law firms has already begun the feeding frenzy:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/04/20/students-sue-universities-tuition-and-fee-refunds

(99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.)

• Like 1

Was curious about the Clemson COVID cases and this is the most recent info I could find:

Aggregate Results as of June 26:
Total COVID tests (student-athletes + staff): 430
Individuals who have tested positive: 47
Individuals with active COVID cases: 19
———
All Student-Athletes: 290 tests, 43 positive, 18 active
Staff Aggregate Results: 140 tests, 4 positive, 1 active

They also stated that there were zero hospitalizations of any of the cases, and half of the cases were asymptomatic. I expect most schools will be reporting something similar. 

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

If I could find  gainful employment that in anyway loosely tied back to my major/career goals, I would drop out in a heartbeat and wait to come back until classes were on campus. You aren't receiving the education that you are paying out the ass for, and you sure as fuck ain't gonna party at mom and dads place like you would  living on your own in Austin. Fuck that. The gainful employment part might be an issue however.

With out the employment option, I would probably try and con my parents into living at home and taking online classes at places like UDEMY. $12 per class that would have relevance to my major or just useful skills in general is a hell of a lot better than full tuition at UT for basically the same experience. When the sundresses return to the 40 acres, that would be the sign to re-enroll. 

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If I could find  gainful employment that in anyway loosely tied back to my major/career goals, I would drop out in a heartbeat and wait to come back until classes were on campus. You aren't receiving the education that you are paying out the ass for, and you sure as fuck ain't gonna party at mom and dads place like you would  living on your own in Austin. Fuck that. The gainful employment part might be an issue however.

With out the employment option, I would probably try and con my parents into living at home and taking online classes at places like UDEMY. $12 per class that would have relevance to my major or just useful skills in general is a hell of a lot better than full tuition at UT for basically the same experience. When the sundresses return to the 40 acres, that would be the sign to re-enroll. 

I'd have to agree with you, but this is the view in hindsight. These kids have gotten to the point of college and they don't see it the same way. Can't say as I blame them, I couldn't wait to get out of my folks house. I also agree that it's just not the same education, and you're correct that gainful employment or even some kind of internship is not likely a realistic approach in the current situation. 

So, you can't get a job, you can't get an internship, and even if you have money and wanted to "hike across Europe" there are a number of obstacles in the way, and a lot of stuff closed. Add in, that they may not let you re-enroll. Who would have thought we would be having half full cafes and airplanes and closed bars, so who knows what re-enrollment might look like.

Yes, paying full boat at UT for a mostly or full online experience is not the same. But putting your life on hold doesn't work for most of the kids either. Maybe you'll get some refund down the road, but either way I don't think it's quite the same view to the kids as it seems from our perspective.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Blotto said:

It's Austin. I would go if you told me I was the only student on campus. You have to be a real fuckup to not have a great time as a student here.

• Like 1

I don't think we will have to worry about it, but It would probably feel like an old Cotton Bowl game, so yeah, kinda weird walking around with everything closed up. The only plus was how much easier it was to get in and out of the stadium. Far outweighed by no Hans Muller Bratwurst.

I think you got that backwards...

On 7/4/2020 at 9:32 AM, Extra Anejo said:

I think spring football would suck, especially if the NFL did it too. Combining NFL, NBA, NCAAB, and NCAAF all into the same time period would make all the above less entertaining. Plus there's the start-up of MLB to factor in. Too many choices for fans.

I don't see this as a choice at all

All I see is college football

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
30 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:
So if we have games, then conference only
Does that push the ACC and the SEC to actually play 9 games?

Yes, but only because the SEC will expand and invite The Citadel and College of Charleston.

One year only, invitational SEC membership?

Brilliant!

• Like 1

They're buying time to keep the annual calendar somewhat intact. Hoping against hope that virus data looks better by the end of the month.

Idea: Let the rando December bowl games serve as pre-season exhibitions in their normal time slots. That way you get some non-conf matchups in, whether they count or not, great TV ratings and a morale boost for holidays. Texas-LSU in the Independence Bowl, e.g.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bartles said:

They're buying time to keep the annual calendar somewhat intact. Hoping against hope that virus data looks better by the end of the month.

Idea: Let the rando December bowl games serve as pre-season exhibitions in their normal time slots. That way you get some non-conf matchups in, whether they count or not, great TV ratings and a morale boost for holidays. Texas-LSU in the Independence Bowl, e.g.

Happy James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

32 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Fuck that noise. I have no interest in seeing LSU in motherfucking Shreveport.

• Like 3

Do you enjoy Columbus, OH and Fayetteville, AR too?  Because it's like that with better food.
For a weekend of partying and football, hell yeah. Purely as a fan, preserving the LSU road trip for better times is the number one thing I want to see. If that means all non conference arrangements are just pushed back a year, cool, that probably makes the most sense honestly. If it means playing in 2037, fine, it's still better than whatever shitshow they're going to trot out this fall.
  • Like 3