College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

9 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I'm just stating the obvious. The FB money supports much more than just the 15-foot waterfall in the locker room or whatever. Entire communities depend on it, so for this season I don't have a problem prioritizing the football team. And also other essential student groups who are working on the medical and community support fronts of the virus battle. What the team does ($$$) goes hand-in-hand with medical research and local food drives in a time of crisis.

Whether the players should be paid more or have to attend class at all is another topic. Yeah, the whole system has been off the rails for a while.

Prioritizing the football team over the students?Smh Football revenue was $157mm last year. The University budget is $3b/year. You want to talk affecting communities? How many Austin businesses depend on students everyday vs 7 Saturdays a year?  Do you really think that football revenue has a big impact on medical research? Lulz. 

• Like 4

Ha, I'm not trying to undermine the integrity or quality of the University of Texas. UT is in a much better position to weather all this than most campuses, so I don't blame y'all for wanting to cling to ideals of amateurism and brag about the medical system budget. But the sport as a whole depends on keeping other schools/communities afloat also. If that can be safely accomplished by prioritizing football for one semester, I am in favor of doing so. As I've said before, right now it's all moot because it's simply not safe.

PFT says agents are likely to sign top college players in the next 60 days, whether there's a fall season or not. 

“They’re gonna bail,” another unnamed agent told Standig. “I mean, I’m recruiting some high-end kids. I talked to probably four of them last night, and they all echoed the same thing. Like, they’re done. This is over.”

Spoiler

Although the decision eventually may be made for them, some of the nation’s top college football prospects could be planning to ditch the 2020 season and focus on the 2021 draft.

“If this [pandemic] really continues down the path that I think it’s going down, there is a very likely chance that there’s going to be some high-profile kids signing with agents in the next 60 days,” an unnamed NFL agent told Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com.

Signing with agents would end their eligibility to play college football.

“They’re gonna bail,” another unnamed agent told Standig. “I mean, I’m recruiting some high-end kids. I talked to probably four of them last night, and they all echoed the same thing. Like, they’re done. This is over.”

The reality is that college football may be over before any player decides to end his college football career. The decision by multiple conferences to play only conference games feels less like a viable plan and more like the “bargaining” phase of the five stages.

Moving college football to the spring will only exacerbate the exodus, especially since the NFL isn’t inclined to move the draft from April.

For top prospects, missing the season won’t matter. The problem is that players, fueled by the praise of friends, family, and agents, tends to overrate themselves, resulting in 80 or 90 guys genuinely believing they’ll be among the top 20 players selected.

All it may take is one major domino to fall. If, for example, Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence (pictured) or Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields say, “I’m out,” plenty could quickly follow.

Again, it may not matter. Given the unrestrained growth in infection rates fueled by people who refuse to take the situation seriously and their special-place-in-hell media enablers who shamelessly have been downplaying the situation from the get go, it’s becoming more and more obvious that it will be ridiculously expensive at best and impossible at worst to ensure that all major college programs can conduct the kind of testing and turnaround needed to prevent the kind of outbreaks that will stop college football season before it even starts.

In this regard, it feels like “acceptance” is a week or two away, at the latest.

3 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

PFT says agents are likely to sign top college players in the next 60 days, whether there's a fall season or not. 

Reveal hidden contents

Although the decision eventually may be made for them, some of the nation’s top college football prospects could be planning to ditch the 2020 season and focus on the 2021 draft.

“If this [pandemic] really continues down the path that I think it’s going down, there is a very likely chance that there’s going to be some high-profile kids signing with agents in the next 60 days,” an unnamed NFL agent told Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com.

Signing with agents would end their eligibility to play college football.

The reality is that college football may be over before any player decides to end his college football career. The decision by multiple conferences to play only conference games feels less like a viable plan and more like the “bargaining” phase of the five stages.

Moving college football to the spring will only exacerbate the exodus, especially since the NFL isn’t inclined to move the draft from April.

For top prospects, missing the season won’t matter. The problem is that players, fueled by the praise of friends, family, and agents, tends to overrate themselves, resulting in 80 or 90 guys genuinely believing they’ll be among the top 20 players selected.

All it may take is one major domino to fall. If, for example, Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence (pictured) or Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields say, “I’m out,” plenty could quickly follow.

Again, it may not matter. Given the unrestrained growth in infection rates fueled by people who refuse to take the situation seriously and their special-place-in-hell media enablers who shamelessly have been downplaying the situation from the get go, it’s becoming more and more obvious that it will be ridiculously expensive at best and impossible at worst to ensure that all major college programs can conduct the kind of testing and turnaround needed to prevent the kind of outbreaks that will stop college football season before it even starts.

In this regard, it feels like “acceptance” is a week or two away, at the latest.

I've felt for a while now Trevor Lawrence, J'Marr Chase, Justin Fields, Justyn Ross, etc. ain't playing ball for college ever again. 

The excellent @mattsarz pointed out that Fox only aired two Saturday night games last year, Buffalo-Penn State and OU-UCLA. Also the Saturday, Sept. 5 window remains open on Fox. So there's nothing to read into that MLB schedule posting.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The excellent @mattsarz pointed out that Fox only aired two Saturday night games last year, Buffalo-Penn State and OU-UCLA. Also the Saturday, Sept. 5 window remains open on Fox. So there's nothing to read into that MLB schedule posting.

the mueller report see GIF

7 hours ago, Bartles said:

I'm just stating the obvious. The FB money supports much more than just the 15-foot waterfall in the locker room or whatever. Entire communities depend on it, so for this season I don't have a problem prioritizing the football team. And also other essential student groups who are working on the medical and community support fronts of the virus battle. What the team does ($$$) goes hand-in-hand with medical research and local food drives in a time of crisis.

Whether the players should be paid more or have to attend class at all is another topic. Yeah, the whole system has been off the rails for a while.

I think you are grossly discounting the financial losses both short & long term on the academic side if they have an online class model.   

• Fuck You 2

11 hours ago, Bartles said:

I meant bump all in-person classes back to spring so there are hardly any students on campus. Creates a better chance to successfully bubble the football team. It will never happen, but with the amount of money at stake I'm surprised it's not even considered.

When I read your first post on this subject I thought maybe I misread or you were joking. Turns out you were serious.

It’s not considered because it’s maybe the most ridiculous idea in the history of this message board. Good lord.

• Like 1

Eh, I knew the football-only-on-campus wouldn't get much support, in real life or on the board. Didn't mean it to come across as if that is my Plan A or I think it should happen regardless of virus conditions, neither of which is true. Having football and a few other students on campus would only work in a pretty specific health environment, like a community where the virus is mostly gone but not enough for all campus to be safe.

Anyway, I won't waste any more space defending it since it was never gonna happen anyway.

• Fuck You 1

On 7/13/2020 at 1:50 PM, Blotto said:

The entire college sports landscape we know today was built on the ever increasing revenue stream from college football. If you remove that revenue stream, modern college athletics becomes completely unfeasible. It makes zero sense to fly a women's softball team to West Virginia for a weekend series, or for that matter the men's swimming team to California for a meet. But football started generating so much goddamned money, every university could support these ridiculous geographic conferences regardless of whether it ever made sense for any particular sport other than football and maybe basketball.

The only reason the season hasn't been cancelled outright already is simply the fact that every athletic director knows that everything gets blown the fuck up without football revenue. AD's are paralyzed, I think they all know trying to play this fall will be a compete clusterfuck and will end in chaos, but the alternative is basically deconstructing their departments and figuring out what the fuck they are going to do with all the long-term debt they are sitting on when their revenues get cut by 50%-70% or more. College athletics is basically staring at 4th and 35 from their own 40 yard line with 10 seconds on the clock and zero timeouts. There is no good hail mary option. 

I have no issue with no football till fall 2021.  Life will go on.  I try to look at the bright side.  I'm sure the ncaa will extend everyone's eligibility, so this will give our athletes a year to let their body rest, heal, and actually buckle down in the classroom and get that degree that they will use for the rest of their lives. Nothing is going to happen at/to Texas that wont happen everywhere else.  Just my opinion.   

If you told me we could have LSU & OU but not be able to play the other games I'd be looking for a dotted line to sign.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

lol

I had to listen to it 3 times to finally understand "we need football".  He's not wrong you know.

If you told me we could have LSU & OU but not be able to play the other games I'd be looking for a dotted line to sign.
I had to listen to it 3 times to finally understand "we need football".  He's not wrong you know.
Man, exact opposite with LSU. I'm really hoping the LSU game gets canceled. They'll reschedule it even if it's 10 years down the line. I'd hate to lose the experience of that road trip. That's one of the best things about college football. To play that game with no fans and guys like Cosmi and Chase sitting out would just be sad.

OU would just feel hollow without the fair and everything. I'll watch if they play it but wouldn't lose any sleep over losing itb ast this point.

The rest of it, eh. Take or or leave it at this point. If there is a "season" at this point it's just going to be a bunch of exhibitions.
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I wonder if they would rather push for a "no fans" season in the Fall or do a Spring season with fans?

More like no season in the fall and maaaaybe have a shortened spring season with no fans and players skipping the end of the season for the combine if we're lucky. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, Js1 said:

Can we end that stupid shit if there’s no season?

Do you honestly not grasp the economic consequences of all of this? Many students, including those at Texas will lose their scholarships if we do not have football revenue. In an attempt to avoid the risk of spreading the virus, we will ruin the lives of many student athletes. This is not so simple as "Cancel 2020 what's the big deal?". The number of schools, including Texas and the number of sporting programs that will be lost will be tragic. And I hope in balancing these risks we are at least consulting with the people who's lives will be screwed over in the process. In professional sports we have labor unions but in college who is that voice to talk to about this balance? 

38 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Do you honestly not grasp the economic consequences of all of this? Many students, including those at Texas will lose their scholarships if we do not have football revenue. In an attempt to avoid the risk of spreading the virus, we will ruin the lives of many student athletes. This is not so simple as "Cancel 2020 what's the big deal?". The number of schools, including Texas and the number of sporting programs that will be lost will be tragic. And I hope in balancing these risks we are at least consulting with the people who's lives will be screwed over in the process. In professional sports we have labor unions but in college who is that voice to talk to about this balance? 

I'm not quite in on "ruin the lives of many student athletes". Most of us make it through life and didn't have our college or our kids college paid for. Should it even be so dire, as to drop kids from scholarship it will be okay. Their lives will not be ruined. Anyone with permanent lung scaring, blood clots leading to amputation, or dying from this virus as more than half a billion already have, yeah their lives are ruined.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

My comment was about stupid LHN 

Take a fucking Xanax bro. Or like 3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

The SEC is so adamant about keeping their 8 game conference advantage, they're going to schedule as many ACC/Big 12 teams as possible and fill the rest with FCS per usual. 

If we have a season they’ll figure out a way to get 14 teams in bowls with the ability to count 2 FCS wins 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I'm not quite in on "ruin the lives of many student athletes". Most of us make it through life and didn't have our college or our kids college paid for. Should it even be so dire, as to drop kids from scholarship it will be okay. Their lives will not be ruined. Anyone with permanent lung scaring, blood clots leading to amputation, or dying from this virus as more than half a billion already have, yeah their lives are ruined.

16 minutes ago, deter said:

Half a billion???????????????????????????????????????

Well hell I heard some guy giving a speech on TV a few weeks back back say that we already had over 120 million dead in the US back then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1