College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Has anyone examined or reported on what the Conference TV contracts say about forced cancellation of games? And whether there is any insurance backing up the networks’ obligation to pay?

Maybe it’s been discussed up-thread, but I wonder if holding out on voluntarily canceling games, or the entire season for that matter, is tied to an effort to retain at least part of the 2020 TV revenue.

• Like 1

Do you honestly not grasp the economic consequences of all of this? Many students, including those at Texas will lose their scholarships if we do not have football revenue. In an attempt to avoid the risk of spreading the virus, we will ruin the lives of many student athletes. This is not so simple as "Cancel 2020 what's the big deal?". The number of schools, including Texas and the number of sporting programs that will be lost will be tragic. And I hope in balancing these risks we are at least consulting with the people who's lives will be screwed over in the process. In professional sports we have labor unions but in college who is that voice to talk to about this balance? 

The economic consequences are dictated by a novel coronavirus that is made a more effective killer of humans by being asymptomatic in many. Attempts to forge ahead with activities that fuel the spread of the virus have been problematic, to say the least.

The economic consequences are dictated by a novel coronavirus that is made a more effective killer of humans by being asymptomatic in many. Attempts to forge ahead with activities that fuel the spread of the virus have been problematic, to say the least.
Do not feed the troll.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Js1 said:

IF we have football -

Illinois going with 20% capacity with 6 feet social distancing and reserved seating for home games

Face coverings in public areas

No tailgating allowed

Wonder how those BMD's who used to have 40-yardline seats are gonna' feel sitting in the end zone because of social distancing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

Wonder how those BMD's who used to have 40-yardline seats are gonna' feel sitting in the end zone because of social distancing? 

Not totally sure on this but I imagine around 20% of fans at a game, in a normal year, are students. ADs are going to have to make tough decisions to perhaps give donors seats to the game instead of students. I feel like most will give preference to the donors 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

IF we have football -

Illinois going with 20% capacity with 6 feet social distancing and reserved seating for home games

Face coverings in public areas

No tailgating allowed

How is 20% capacity any different from Saturday's last fall?

I kid.... but not really.

Average attendance is already at ~ 39% while they actually achieved said 20% goal last year during their finale when their actual turnstile count was 11,800.

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/next-step-for-illini-football-increasing-attendance/article_5c46f656-8516-5a05-8940-f7bd822f9bf6.html

CHAMPAIGN — Don’t be surprised if this month’s Illini-Northwestern basketball showdown at 15,500-seat State Farm Center outdraws November’s Illini-Wildcats football game at 60,670-seat Memorial Stadium.

Despite an improved product in Year 4 of the Lovie Smith era, turnstile attendance figures obtained by The News-Gazette via an open-records request show there’s still plenty of work to do in convincing Illini football fans to show up on Saturdays.

Exhibit A: the Nov. 30 regular-season finale, held two days after Thanksgiving and two days before students resumed classes after the holiday break. The attendance figure you saw in the official Northwestern-Illinois recaps — 35,895, based on the number of tickets distributed — was more than three times the size of the actual turnstile count: 11,800.

Hosting Northwestern in November has historically been a tough sell, records show — in Smith’s second season at Illinois, just 11,083 fans passed through the turnstiles on Nov. 25, when the 23rd-ranked Wildcats handed the Illini their 10th loss of the fall, 42-7.

Of 27 home games in Smith’s four seasons, only one other drew an actual crowd of fewer than 15,000: 14,071 for a 63-0 drubbing by Iowa in 2018’s Memorial Stadium finale.

Other turnstile numbers of note:

Average attendance for seven home games this season: 23,794. That’s an improvement from a year ago (22,074) but down from 2016 (30,875) and 2017 (24,596).

— The decade’s biggest win — 2019’s 24-23 homecoming shocker against No. 6 Wisconsin — was witnessed in person by the third-largest home crowd of 2019: 26,255. That was less than the turnstile counts for the two home games that preceded it — losses to Nebraska (33,062) and Michigan (26,670).

— Only once in 27 home dates has the turnstile count topped 35,000. That happened in Smith’s second game — in prime time, against North Carolina. A crowd of 47,877 passed through the turnstiles that night, which ended with a 48-23 Illini loss.

— Kicking off the season against a team from a lesser league has helped the win-loss record, but not the gate. Since a turnstile count of 32,630 in Smith’s 2016 orange and blue debut against Murray State, home openers have drawn 28,006 (2017 vs. Ball State), 21,215 (2018 vs. Kent State) and 20,881 (2019 vs. Akron).

45 minutes ago, RedDirtTexan said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying when you say this. 

He is planning to mail-in his write-in candidate for this years' election. Footbawwww!!!

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 1

NCAA president says data is pointing in the wrong direction for fall college sports

From CNN’s Jacob Lev

NCAA president Mark Emmert offered a sobering statement on the state of fall sports saying, "Today, sadly, the data point in the wrong direction. If there is to be college sports in the fall, we need to get a much better handle on the pandemic."

On CNN

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 4Pete said:

I just keep hoping for a delayed season to start around 10/3.  I realize that may be too optimistic at this point.  

Torn between cold, hard realism or keeping hope alive.  Hope is a dangerous thing.

Move football from fall to winter, and move basketball from winter to spring. lessgo

Look at all the progress the US has made on corona in the past 5 months since it started here

what makes you think we can play any sports in, say, less than 3 months?

If you’re gonna fret about anything, we should be talking more about how many schools are not going to have football (and other sports) permanently when this is over.

Just speculation, but if something drastic doesnt change by Thanksgiving, id guess 25-35% of current FBS schools wont have a team from next season on

• Like 3

There is absolutely nothing being done in Texas and most southern states to improve the Covid-19 infection rate. If that doesn't change we will have a worse fall than summer, a worse winter than fall, and a worse spring than winter. The virus is winning. Football is history until something changes.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Look at all the progress the US has made on corona in the past 5 months since it started here

what makes you think we can play any sports in, say, less than 3 months?

If you’re gonna fret about anything, we should be talking more about how many schools are not going to have football (and other sports) permanently when this is over.

Just speculation, but if something drastic doesnt change by Thanksgiving, id guess 25-35% of current FBS schools wont have a team from next season on

This

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This is the big elephant in the room.  Does anyone think the State Legislature is going to bail out any universities? No fucking way. It'll be a pleasant surprise if we don't lose any universities much less athletic programs. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 6:42 AM, MirrOlure said:

Has anyone examined or reported on what the Conference TV contracts say about forced cancellation of games? And whether there is any insurance backing up the networks’ obligation to pay?

Maybe it’s been discussed up-thread, but I wonder if holding out on voluntarily canceling games, or the entire season for that matter, is tied to an effort to retain at least part of the 2020 TV revenue.

I dunno what the football TV contracts would be like, but we're seeing this kind of thing in F1, with tracks and F1 playing chicken with each each other. They're trying not to be the one who breaks a contract by cancelling ... and with F1 trying to rebuild their schedule to get enough races to satisfy TV contracts & get paid.

How does it apply to Texas?  The SEZ project will net only a trivial number of additional seats.
In that it's still hilariously bad timing for an expansion.
The NCAA is releasing their own NYT charts now? I don't think the SEC is going to listen to the medical experts at the NCAA on this one.
Lol @ "where we thought we'd be"
Prediction: season gets cancelled, aggy claims a national championship. After a lawsuit, aggy forced to pay the $1M NC performance bonus to Jimbo.
No way aggy would sue over that. They'd probably add more bonus money for the unbeaten year.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

In that it's still hilariously bad timing for an expansion.Lol @ "where we thought we'd be"No way aggy would sue over that. They'd probably add more bonus money for the unbeaten year.

That's not at all what your post suggested.  And still disagree even if I take your word on that since the expansion is scheduled to be open NEXT year and we have every reason to expect things will be largely back to normal by then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

That's not at all what your post suggested.  And still disagree even if I take your word on that since the expansion is scheduled to be open NEXT year and we have every reason to expect things will be largely back to normal by then.

I'm not sure we have ANY reason to expect that, but I sure as hell hope it is!

• Like 2