College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Yes, the MLB news is not good. IF (gargantuan IF) the CFB season starts in some form, expect to see this—cancellations, players sitting, position groups sitting, etc., etc.  It’s going to be a crapfest, any way you look at it. 
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads?platform=amp

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Or the fact that not even the MLB can prevent infections among the players and staff

It’ll be interesting to see if an out break on 1 team constitutes a canceled season. The MLB plays games at a rapid fire pace but CFB looks to be spacing games out to accommodate this exact situation. I still think the biggest hold up will be the willingness of colleges to play with no fans.

Marlins deal is really ominous. Daily testing and strict distancing should have been enough to keep cases under like five at a time even on a traveling team. If by some miracle this is confined to one team, MLB may be able to keep the games going. But more likely this whole week will feature new cases popping up.

If so, I don't know how the Sankey/Bowslby types can get on camera and talk about September games.

6 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

It’ll be interesting to see if an out break on 1 team constitutes a canceled season. The MLB plays games at a rapid fire pace but CFB looks to be spacing games out to accommodate this exact situation. I still think the biggest hold up will be the willingness of colleges to play with no fans.

It’ll be interesting to see which team hides a positive test. Rhymes with Schmalabama, Schlemson, Schexas A&M or Schell-S-U

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’ll be interesting to see which team hides a positive test. Rhymes with Schmalabama, Schlemson, Schexas A&M or Schell-S-U

Schmaylor knows a thing or two about coverups too. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Yes, the MLB news is not good. IF (gargantuan IF) the CFB season starts in some form, expect to see this—cancellations, players sitting, position groups sitting, etc., etc.  It’s going to be a crapfest, any way you look at it. 
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads?platform=amp

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Or the fact that not even the MLB can prevent infections among the players and staff

While I agree that football in the Fall isn't happening and CFB in th Spring is also dubious, baseball plays almost every day and they don't have a good testing sytem in place.  It will be easier for football teams (pro and CFB) who only play once a week to prevent cross-contamination moreso than a sport like baseball where they're playing almost every day.

Still though, even if we get a season in the Spring, I fully expect cancelled games, a bunch of players not being able to play, etc. It will be a shit show, barring a vaccine being widely available in time for Spring football. 

1 hour ago, Big Frog II said:

Marlins are screwing up everything.  Coming from a state where the virus is out of control, I guess we should not be surprised.

The Marlins KNEW they had infected players, but decided via a team text message chat that they should still play the game. 

The NCAA cannot police 100+ teams with 85 scholarship players even remotely as effectively as the MLB can with its players. Let’s all hope for a vaccine and a Spring 2021 start for football. It would be a shame to let a fucking pandemic get in the way of exacting revenge on ou

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

The Marlins KNEW they had infected players, but decided via a team text message chat that they should still play the game. 

You have a link reporting this? -Found it, that is outrageous.

Edited by Dr Fear

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

/sarcasmfont/ Drama queen. Doesn’t he know that there’s basically a zero percent chance of anything bad happening to a young, fit athlete?  Just shut up and get back to work, Eduardo /sarcasm font/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Imagine still thinking college football is going to happen 

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the college football world will be as one

No, wait, never mind. That's not what we want at all. 

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't think this news with the Marlins is an anomaly, for MLB or any other sport that's planning a return in 2020.  This college football season will be toast, sooner or later. 

EPL returned in June 2020, and their positive rate is extremely low.  I think it has more to do with behavior away from the clubhouse, than it does with the sport itself.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1670563

7 minutes ago, nnm said:

/sarcasmfont/ Drama queen. Doesn’t he know that there’s basically a zero percent chance of anything bad happening to a young, fit athlete?  Just shut up and get back to work, Eduardo /sarcasm font/

Based on what the news story says, he had some fatigue in the 1st bullpen and it was a little better in the 2nd. He's taking a week to rest. Google suggests only severe cases of myocarditis are permanent, so I think it's a safe bet that he will fully recover and pitch this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, B00M said:

Based on what the news story says, he had some fatigue in the 1st bullpen and it was a little better in the 2nd. He's taking a week to rest. Google suggests only severe cases of myocarditis are permanent, so I think it's a safe bet that he will fully recover and pitch this season. 

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

tenor.gif

I get your point. I should have quoted someone else. I'm very aware of the risks, albeit small, this poses to young people even if it doesn't kill them and I know there are plenty of mouth breathers arguing that these guys are who we want to get it! HeRd ImMuNitY! ... I'm sick of people down playing this shit so we can't unite and suppress it like say, Canada or Germany.

Unfortunately, I think at least 1 FBS player will need to die for this to cancel college football this year. 

I was simply relieved a bit as I read into Eduardo's situation and relayed what i found for those that couldn't or wouldn't dig.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, B00M said:

I get your point. I should have quoted someone else. I'm very aware of the risks, albeit small, this poses to young people even if it doesn't kill them and I know there are plenty of mouth breathers arguing that these guys are who we want to get it! HeRd ImMuNitY! ... I'm sick of people down playing this shit so we can't unite and suppress it like say, Canada or Germany.

Unfortunately, I think at least 1 FBS player will need to die for this to cancel college football this year. 

I was simply relieved a bit as I read into Eduardo's situation and relayed what i found for those that couldn't or wouldn't dig.

Sorry.  I get your point.  I genuinely apologize to you--I thought you were making the opposite point.  

Unfortunately, no one can have a rational debate about this.  Both sides reflexively dismiss the other side's statistics, anecdotes, and arguments.  My response was flippant and a perfect example of what should not be done in this kind of discussion.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, nnm said:

They shortened the season during that other pandemic too.  During the years of the curse, no one mentioned there should be an asterisk next to what was then the last BoSox World Series win.  This guy got sick but recovered.

Babe_Ruth_Red_Sox_1918.jpg?w=791

1 hour ago, B00M said:

what country are you living in? I won't be surprised if they shut down e-sports.

there's almost no chance we play, but there's too much money at stake and we love the lesbian underwater basket weaving teams CFB pays for too much to shut the golden goose in the fridge yet

Edited by SwanderedTalent

On 7/23/2020 at 8:46 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Article yesterday in the local paper, columnist says college football will ultimately be cancelled this fall due to risks

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2020/07/22/college-football-isnt-happening-fall-ultimately-here-is-why/5425783002/

I'm not sure I'm in complete agreement with the article, but there are valid points made.
Also Michigan State put team workouts on hold today, after a staff member tested positive for COVID the past weekend, and they are awaiting test results for the entire staff (and I think the team). They had been doing "voluntary" workouts and were scheduled to be moving to 20 hour/week practices soon.

Now all members of the MSU football team and staff members are in in isolation or quarantine after 16 positive test from 122 athlete test last week

9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

it probably helps that there aren't 70,000 new cases a day over there.

the Prem is 100% bubbled up.  NBA and MLS are bubbled.  MLB traveling & unbubbled is just one more example of  the level of stupid on display in this country that is unmeasureable with current technology, sports being just 1 of 100 dumb things we're doing while the rest of the world is laughing at us.

CDC needs to shut it down.  There is a reason it's named The University.  We are better than this.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4