College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/holding-ut-football-games-in-the-fall-not-really-in-the-realm-of-reality-austins-top-doctor-says/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR19uqMw5LOuj_zjemoR2mRl6Rlz8uFtkksDEsbwpNco2SaMZ0p2FXu4fJU

“We are in discussions with UT. We were caught a little off guard with the announcement that they intended to open the stadium with 50% capacity — which is in the neighborhood of 50,000 people in one place,” said Escott. “I’ll say again what I said a month or two ago, and that is that large gatherings are the first thing that closed down and should be the last thing to open up again.”

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

If they can try and start as 'normal' and it gets canceled then they get the payout? IDK.

Student athlete health and fan health are obviously only secondary concerns and not the primary drivers.

The simplest explanation is proceeding with a fall schedule gives them some chance of playing some games and cashing some checks. If they push everything to spring and conditions are not good at that time, then they get zero monies. That simply can't happen. 

They won't say it, but the spring is still there as a fallback if for example they can get through 8-ish games in fall. They could come back and do conference champ games and a watered down CFP while everyone else does normal spring practice.

Everyone making these decisions simply can't see it any other way than to get a season going under any circumstances. Their very careers depend on it. It would take a mass movement by players, students and/or parents to call it off, which I don't see happening.

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Man are we careening towards this season.

The more we push the decisions back, the less likely we will have a successful season.

The insistence on a fall schedule creates a huge risk here.

This more than ever shows that the FBS needs a commissioner of all the power leagues.

Spring Football gives you time.

Why is this not being discussed on a FBS level?

Why does this surprise anyone that they are waiting as long as possible to make a decision? They are watching the data as closely as anyone else, and are hoping that numbers might flatten enough by mid-August to justify a decision to move forward. Right or wrong, it's been clear for a while that they'd operate this way. They want a football season and will die on that hill before they are forced to cancel it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I'm sure they have been working overtime on the spreadsheets, and likely have a stack of contingency plans that rivals the DOD.

There are 3 eras in College Football:

Antique era (47 years)

6 November 1889 (Rutgers 6 - Princeton 4)

1 January 1936 (last games of the antique era - 1935 bowl games)

Golden era (48 years)

20 October 1936 (First AP Writer's Poll)

20 March 1984 (0u Regents v. NCAA argued)

Money era (30 years)

27 June 1984 (0u Regents 1 - NCAA 0)

6 January 2014 (last BCS final)

Modern era (<6 years)

27 August 2014 (first game of the Playoff era)

It took 30 years to figure out how to put 4 teams in a post-season bracket.  Their contingency plans are "wing it".

• Hook 'Em 1

Playing a few games in the fall only to have to delay it until the spring or cancel outright leads to hundreds or questions regarding redshirting, players opting out of a season for the draft, players who don't want to risk injury in a shortened spring only to turn around and play again in the fall, recruiting and contacting of recruits in an already arcane system, roster sizes, etc.  I can't even fathom what a nightmare that would become.

But I'm sure the NCAA has their top guys working on the matter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

They won't say it, but the spring is still there as a fallback if for example they can get through 8-ish games in fall. They could come back and do conference champ games and a watered down CFP while everyone else does normal spring practice.

Springback.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Playing a few games in the fall only to have to delay it until the spring or cancel outright leads to hundreds or questions regarding redshirting, players opting out of a season for the draft, players who don't want to risk injury in a shortened spring only to turn around and play again in the fall, recruiting and contacting of recruits in an already arcane system, roster sizes, etc.  I can't even fathom what a nightmare that would become.

But I'm sure the NCAA has their top guys working on the matter.

Deal from your have to,  the have to is what you use when you afraid 

I mean, this is nothing surprising or new.  I've certainly been saying all along that students are inevitably going to pass this amongst themselves quickly, when they're back on campus.

I've speculated that football players are actually more likely to become infected OUTSIDE of the locker room and playing field, than within it.  Even if all the bars are closed, college kids aren't going to stop going to house parties, they're not going to stop sharing beer bongs, they're not going to stop hooking up, and they're not going to wear masks while they do it.

And I'm not saying this is reason enough to go forward with a football season-- at this point I don't see any way that's possible.  I'm just saying, this was inevitably going to spread rapidly, among college-aged kids.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So at these parties, do people just line up and get coughed in the face x inches away by a zombie?

Its really not that hard.  I think back to the Oregon choir practice.  61 members, 1 symptomatic carrier, 2.5 practice doing nothing but singing and breathing at close range, and you get between 32 and 52 of the 61 getting CV-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm

Then I compare that to every night I went out in college.  Hours of crowded, close talking, singing, yelling, hooking up in poorly ventilated areas.  With a bunch of students that are either asymptomatic, or don't know the difference between CV and a hangover.  Kids who don't give a fuck if they get it, and really don't give a fuck after a few drinks.

And that happens with thousands of kids every single night in hundreds of college towns.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Its really not that hard.  I think back to the Oregon choir practice.  61 members, 1 symptomatic carrier, 2.5 practice doing nothing but singing and breathing at close range, and you get between 32 and 52 of the 61 getting CV-19.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm
Then I compare that to every night I went out in college.  Hours of crowded, close talking, singing, yelling, hooking up in poorly ventilated areas.  With a bunch of students that are either asymptomatic, or don't know the difference between CV and a hangover.  Kids who don't give a fuck if they get it, and really don't give a fuck after a few drinks.
And that happens with thousands of kids every single night in hundreds of college towns.  

Ya. True. Forgot about the choir. 1 infectee can do a lot of damage

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean, this is nothing surprising or new.  I've certainly been saying all along that students are inevitably going to pass this amongst themselves quickly, when they're back on campus.

I've speculated that football players are actually more likely to become infected OUTSIDE of the locker room and playing field, than within it.  Even if all the bars are closed, college kids aren't going to stop going to house parties, they're not going to stop sharing beer bongs, they're not going to stop hooking up, and they're not going to wear masks while they do it.

And I'm not saying this is reason enough to go forward with a football season-- at this point I don't see any way that's possible.  I'm just saying, this was inevitably going to spread rapidly, among college-aged kids.

No doubt.  The infection rate for football players may actually go up if football is cancelled due to them not having an much incentive to avoid it.

Honestly, the biggest problem is testing.  Elementary thru HS probably won't test and will have their seasons because they won't even know if some have it.  No way CFB doesn't test.  And the asymptomatic positives will be what kills the season.

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

The simplest explanation is proceeding with a fall schedule gives them some chance of playing some games and cashing some checks. If they push everything to spring and conditions are not good at that time, then they get zero monies. That simply can't happen. 

Everyone making these decisions simply can't see it any other way than to get a season going under any circumstances. Their very careers depend on it. It would take a mass movement by players, students and/or parents to call it off, which I don't see happening.

BINGO.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

There are 3 eras in College Football:

Antique era (47 years)

6 November 1889 (Rutgers 6 - Princeton 4)

1 January 1936 (last games of the antique era - 1935 bowl games)

Golden era (48 years)

20 October 1936 (First AP Writer's Poll)

20 March 1984 (0u Regents v. NCAA argued)

Money era (30 years)

27 June 1984 (0u Regents 1 - NCAA 0)

6 January 2014 (last BCS final)

Modern era (<6 years)

27 August 2014 (first game of the Playoff era)

It took 30 years to figure out how to put 4 teams in a post-season bracket.  Their contingency plans are "wing it".

Did you come up with those eras yourself?  Pretty cool idea, but I would also do something like break the golden era up into pre-and post integration (1968?)

Chiefs RB Damien Williams has announced he is opting out. He's probably the highest profile guy thus far to do so. No doubt many more to come.

I expect if there IS a college football season, there will very likely be some opt outs. 

If university administrators can keep a university running with on campus students then play football. Playing the game doesn't raise the risk for players or students or even coaches any more than roaming the dorm halls. Limit fan attendance to students and possibly parents of players. If the university can't stay open then sports can't either. 

2 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Did you come up with those eras yourself?  Pretty cool idea, but I would also do something like break the golden era up into pre-and post integration (1968?)

Yes my demarcations.  Integration means different things to different schools, so there is no way to pick a single year for integration.  Besides, i like 1984 being the start of the money era because it precisely begins at the same time as fedex/sherrill, smu/hansen and thieves/full-rogue-guns'n'drugs-switzer (as opposed to just the spying cocksucking switzer).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I wonder about that too. Could it be that the hassle factor/ expense of having Spring football then trying to have Fall football is just too great for some  programs? 

I can tell you based on information that has come to light, that this has absolutely nothing to do with fall vs. spring or any fucks given about players, scholarships, eligibility, or even money.

The societal construct and macroeconomic (POLITICAL) reality of the United States WILL RESUME ON SCHEDULE and the revolution will not be televised.   Even if it kills a million people.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
6 hours ago, mdmost said:
Say goodbye to the LSU game

Good. It'll get rescheduled and we'll all have a fucking blast sometime in the 2030s.

I'm pretty sure you mean, our undead zombie corpses will all have a fucking blast sometime in the 2030s, right?