College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

13 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

We've been looking for a vaccine for 2-3 months at the most. The experts say it takes around 18 months to have one tested & ready. How can a football season start before then? 

The hope is for quick, reliable testing to avoid spreading the virus, so the games can still happen without fans in the stadium, and even that is pretty iffy at this point. 

IMO, there’s no hope at all for us to attend games this year, which is fine by me. Considering the circumstances, I’ll be beyond grateful just to have a football season I can watch on TV. 

13 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

We've been looking for a vaccine for 2-3 months at the most. The experts say it takes around 18 months to have one tested & ready. How can a football season start before then? 

It won't take 18 months. This is not a normal situation and the manufacturers of these vaccines are already conducting trials. Whatever "normal" is for a timeline, think of something much faster. That being said, Johnson & Johnson said they hope to have their ready for mass production by the end of the year/early next year and the other one a few months sooner. We will not have a full vaccine produced for the masses by September but it will be something far less than 18 months. 

If they do play games in an empty stadium wouldn't teams prefer to have the games played in their practice facility? I know If the games start in January it would be a lot better for the Northern Schools to play in a dome than 0 degree days throughout the entire season. 

I just don't see any reason why they would have the charade of playing in an empty 100k seat stadium, when most of the practice facilities would have better fields on them. 

16 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Looks up "hope."  Uh huh.

Looks at calendar.  Early next year.  Does math.

Yup.  18 months.

18 months is the normal life cycle for a generic flu vaccine. Every regulatory hurdle possible will be eliminated because of the crisis. Not to mention the gigantic financial incentive for the producer. 

This will something far less than a normal vaccine life cycle. 

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

18 months is the normal life cycle for a generic flu vaccine. Every regulatory hurdle possible will be eliminated because of the crisis. Not to mention the gigantic financial incentive for the producer. 

Perhaps you need to provide your definition of "far less."  

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It's not the time it takes to develop a vaccine, but the time it takes to perform human trials to confirm both its efficacy as well as it's side effects.  And that means 12 months of review from the time trials begin.  Minimum.  And I don't think they can really accelerate that timeline.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

No, no it doesn’t. 

The data does not suggest that the virus disproportionately affects the elderly and people with underlying health issues? And that mortality and serious effects for young, healthy people is low? I think you need to go back and read more about this virus. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The data does not suggest that the virus disproportionately affects the elderly and people with underlying health issues? And that mortality and serious effects for young, healthy people is low? I think you need to go back and read more about this virus. 

You’re aware young, healthy people can spread it, right? You also know that many of the coaches are old, fat and exactly they type of people that this thing kills, right? Or the parents of the players? It’s fucking stupid to even consider this right now. 

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You’re aware young, healthy people can spread it, right? You also know that many of the coaches are old, fat and exactly they type of people that this thing kills, right? Or the parents of the players? It’s fucking stupid to even consider this right now. 

My thing is not a worry about the coaches (especially a HC making millions). It is the equipment managers, trainers, cleaning crew etc folks making a whole lot less than the HC and their assistants. If a coach making a couple of millions wants to sign a waiver that is one thing, an equipment mgr making like 50k is another.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tailgate said:

"This is America, man. We've stormed the beaches of Normandy. We've sent a rover out on Mars and walked on the moon," Swinney said. "This is the greatest country. We've created an iPhone where I can sit here and talk to people in all these different places. We've got the smartest people in the world. We're going to rise up and kick this thing in the teeth and get back to our lives." 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28991417/clemson-dabo-swinney-zero-doubt-college-season-starts

Well...Dabo is definitely not mensa.

18 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

It's not the time it takes to develop a vaccine, but the time it takes to perform human trials to confirm both its efficacy as well as it's side effects.  And that means 12 months of review from the time trials begin.  Minimum.  And I don't think they can really accelerate that timeline.

Lots of folks want to get back to normal, more worried about the $$$ than the people, I'm sure some of them will volunteer for early human trials.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

And the fact that young people can and do get seriously sick, I think there have been 5 deaths under the age of 24 so far in the US.  Even if you think you’ll pull through, which more than likely a young football player would, it still sucks getting seriously sick for up to 2 weeks. 

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I’ll bet the under on your timeline for any amount of money you want. 

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I am aware. What is fucking stupid is to ignore the data to live in fear when we can provide practical solutions to the issues you just raised. The US cannot live in a bunker for an entire year. You test, develop protocol for protecting the at risk and we get on with our lives. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

And the fact that young people can and do get seriously sick, I think there have been 5 deaths under the age of 24 so far in the US.  Even if you think you’ll pull through, which more than likely a young football player would, it still sucks getting seriously sick for up to 2 weeks. 

Not “more than likely”. There is a 99.99 % chance a young person without underlying health issues will pull through. Unless that is what you meant by that phrase. 

34 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Not “more than likely”. There is a 99.99 % chance a young person without underlying health issues will pull through. Unless that is what you meant by that phrase. 

Yes they will probably live. But they can still get seriously sick, maybe even requiring a ventilator or time spent in the ICU. You think it’s ok to expose them to it because you wanna watch football?

42 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am aware. What is fucking stupid is to ignore the data to live in fear when we can provide practical solutions to the issues you just raised. The US cannot live in a bunker for an entire year. You test, develop protocol for protecting the at risk and we get on with our lives. 

Are you living in a bunker right now?  There's a massive difference between opening up parts of the country and playing football.  It's really not important right now.

Also, there is no national testing or tracing in place and none is currently being planned.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Are you living in a bunker right now?  There's a massive difference between opening up parts of the country and playing football.  It's really not important right now.

Also, there is no national testing or tracing in place and none is currently being planned.

Well, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln . . .

• Like 1

When Ohio State's AD is asking the question, you know the idea of college football this fall is fading away:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29021401/buckeyes-ad-gene-smith-not-safe-fans-gather-why-athletes

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith knows the resumption of college sporting events in venues without fans is an option amid the coronavirus pandemic, but he doesn't see how it would ensure the safety of those on the field or the court.

Smith said Friday that he needs more information from experts on how holding sporting events in empty stadiums or arenas would ensure the health of student-athletes. The NCAA canceled all spring events because of the outbreak, and no decisions have been made on fall sports, which include football.

"I struggle with that concept," Smith said on a conference call with reporters. "When I first heard that, I said, 'OK, that could work.' But I figured if we don't have fans in the stands, we've determined it's not safe for them in a gathering environment. So why would it be safe for the players?"

Smith and other Big Ten athletic directors have had daily conference calls with commissioner Kevin Warren. They have discussed return-to-play protocols but not the potential models for the 2020 football season, which include a later start date and a shortened schedule, playing in empty stadiums, or not starting the season until sometime in 2021.

Ohio State announced last week that all of its summer classes would move online, and Smith said most Buckeyes football players left campus to go home.

"You have 100 football players; it's hard to social distance in the locker room or training room," Smith said. "We have to get to a place where it's OK for those group dynamics to occur. I have to rely on the experts on that, because we cannot put our kids at risk."

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:49 PM, Newy25 said:

Uh, you ever been to a college football game? Most fans are the definition of "underlying health issues".

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, Newy25 said:

How much you wanna bet it isn't done in 2020?  I'd give you 3-1 odds.  Has to be used in the public by Dec 31, 2020.  I'm sure the mods can keep whatever amount for us if you really are willing to put your money where your mouth is. 

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

How much you wanna bet it isn't done in 2020?  I'd give you 3-1 odds.  Has to be used in the public by Dec 31, 2020.  I'm sure the mods can keep whatever amount for us if you really are willing to put your money where your mouth is. 

Considering there is still no vaccine for SARS or MERS, I am not too optimistic this new Coronavirus vaccine will be coming any time soon. My money is on your side of that bet. 

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Considering there is still no vaccine for SARS or MERS, I am not too optimistic this new Coronavirus vaccine will be coming any time soon. My money is on your side of that bet. 

all the more reason to cancel everything forever

even if we get a Coronavirus vaccine, something else will come along, and we can't have that-- non-essential things like college football, church, concerts, an economy, these are luxuries we can no longer afford

4 hours ago, Sejjr said:

SARS and MERS vaccines were largely abandoned when they were contained. There’s no money in something that doesn’t pose a threat. 

That said, college football in 2020 isn’t happening. There is zero chance. I’m just crossing my fingers that the Masters in 2021 happens.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:57 AM, Newy25 said:

Doesn't the data overwhelmingly support his position?  Since when does using the data that we have collected mean someone is clueless? 

Yes, the data does overwhelmingly support his position that for a lot of people, CFB should be about young, unpaid men taking on a tremendous risk so others can make a shit load of money.

• Like 6