College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, I debated whether to use football or soccer. Decided to use soccer because I'm writing for a mostly American audience. Figured I was likely to get a snarky comment either way. 

You should have just went with "futbol".

Once the plug is pulled on football for the year, and quite a few of us are going to do other, more productive things to pass the time on Saturdays this fall....

Lol okay sure. Half of the Texas fanbase has started doing exactly this by late October for the past decade and we still come around every fall, knowing it's probably happening again. And I'm sure after a year plus of socisl distancing no one's going to find tailgating or watching a game with friends appealing. Little dramatic here man.

People will look back and not feel like they missed out on a meaningless, all exhibition season with nothing resembling normal competition or championships, and rampant, abrupt game cancellations. Because that's what we'd be looking at if it was played. No one's going to watch Sam playing QB next year and think "Ugh, if only his senior year could've been wasted on five Big 12 scrimmages!"

No college football fan is going to say they didn't miss having a normal season, but that was never on the table, despite whatever fans told themselves to try to rationalize it. I imagine there will be a huge amount of excitement surrounding 2021, assuming it's to be played normally.

And I'm sure they'll hold out and try to make a run at spring if they cancel fall as well, so there's that.

I think this number will be a lot bigger than people realize. Especially the ones who will now save thousands of dollars this year with no expensive bowl trips, season tickets, etc. 

College football attendance was already declining. Economic impact of COVID could exacerbate that but it wouldn't be a new phenomenon. There's also the counterbalance of what's sure to be very high enthusiasm when things start to return to normal.

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

You should have just went with "futbol".

I considered that too. That was actually my first instinct. But they don't spell it that way. I also considered going with cricket. But we're on a football (American) board and cricket is more like baseball, right? That would've drawn a snarky comment too. So I decided to tell the story like we're two Americans going back in time to The Blitz and we're getting bombed by the Nazis. I had my American counterpart call it soccer. 

Also:  *gone

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I am curious, in your histrionic cloak-room rambling... which experts' strategy are you saying would have guaranteed that we would have College Football this fall? Just so I am clear <checks notes> if we'd done the following, we'd have football?

• Implemented a flawless, accurate rapid test in early February
  • Nationwide mask mandate when all the "experts," including Fauci, the Surgeon General, and the WHO recommended against wearing and publicly questioned their effectiveness
  • Zero citizens questioning or challenging the information being given
  • Even harsher economic lockdown to "save grandma?"
  • Get our collective shit together 

Mmmmyea you pretty much summed it up perfectly 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I considered that too. That was actually my first instinct. But they don't spell it that way. I also considered going with cricket. But we're on a football (American) board and cricket is more like baseball, right? That would've drawn a snarky comment too. So I decided to tell the story like we're two Americans going back in time to The Blitz and we're getting bombed by the Nazis. I had my American counterpart call it soccer. 

Also:  *gone

You would've been safe with rugby.

Nothing really happened this week COVID-wise to make presidents all of a sudden decide to shut down practices. Hell, many leagues' schedules were set for late September so they could gauge any outbreaks on campus before holding actual games. Presidents aren't following sports day-to-day, but surely they were aware of money being spent on housing, testing, etc. So maybe it's something else:

1027664168_ScreenShot2020-08-08at6_08_51PM.thumb.png.138599ff833d1c1d438021b2551e03f9.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

If you called it soccer in 1940 Britain, you’d be dead anyway. 

https://time.com/5335799/soccer-word-origin-england/

In England, Szymanski writes, aristocratic boys came up with the shortened terms “rugger” and “soccer” to differentiate between Rugby Football and Association Football. To support this argument, he cites a letter to The New York Times, published in 1905: “It was a fad at Oxford and Cambridge to use “er” at the end of many words, such as foot-er, sport-er, and as Association did not take an “er” easily, it was, and is, sometimes spoken of as Soccer.”

And the term, Szymanski says, was widely recognized in England through the first half of the twentieth century, according to data he crunched from books and newspapers. It became even more prevalent after the World War II — driven, he suggests, by the number of American soldiers in the country and the infatuation with American culture that came after the war.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I've taught at both places. It's not even particularly close.

To use John Kelso's line: "When I walk across the UT campus, I feel like an old man. When I walk across the TxSt campus, I feel like a dirty old man."

If I live to be 1000years old I'll never forget my first day on the quad.  

20 minutes ago, The_highest_of_fives said:

I could see a scenario where the Big 10 leadership said we are canceling the season and these teams said the hell you are, we will play somewhere else.  Just another bargaining chip.  

Feel like that would be rather complex given TV contracts in addition to 1000 other things

1 hour ago, BevoSwag said:

Todays B1G Presidents meet has to have been like a round of poker.  In a corner of the table we have tOSU staring/daring @  IU or PU to vote to cancel the season.  

I'm not a fan of OSU AD Gene Smith but he's been cautioning for weeks against assuming a football season will happen this year. He hasn't tried to hide his pessimism. When the B1G announced the schedule he said that it was just a step along the way and nothing is set in stone. 

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Hell no. I refuse to buy that. There are more hot chicks at UT than at TSU. You just have to work harder to find them..Unlike the whoors(Ralph C) at TSU, who have nothing else going on. PROVE ME WRONG!

this isnt the 80s fam texas has the ugliest co ed base in the south

the thots are no where up to standards  dont take my word for it talk to a player on any texas sports team & get his opinion on how fooking ugly the thots at texas are 

tsu thots r top tier 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

this isnt the 80s fam texas has the ugliest co ed base in the south

the thots are no where up to standards  dont take my word for it talk to a player on any texas sports team & get his opinion on how fooking ugly the thots at texas are 

tsu thots r top tier 

Negged for using thots in a “serious” manner.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
1 hour ago, Parliament said:
Thanks for having us, Guys!

16d02b5c68d9489377b032082f84c616.jpg

Congrats on winning the Worst Posting of a Tweet in the History of the Internet Award.

It's worse than you think. This is his monitor:

monitor-clipart-old-computer-monitor-computer-monitor-full-old-computer-monitor-png-640_480.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

I think this number will be a lot bigger than people realize. Especially the ones who will now save thousands of dollars this year with no expensive bowl trips, season tickets, etc. 

Baseball never recovered from the cancellation of the 1994 world series.  It did finally reach the same average attendance 15 years later, but didn't match the % of population it was reaching.  And it lost a lot of us fans.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/college-sports-coronavirus-covid-19-testing-cost-20200731.html

"...Back to the daunting costs of testing.

“One of the [MAC] athletic directors estimated that for one Saturday football game, if you had 80 players, 20 staff, you’d need 100 tests, $55 a test, $5,500 for one game,” Duda said. “Just for football, it would take $50,000 just to complete the season. And I don’t think there were any of us on the call that said, ‘Yes, we can have all the tests back in 72 hours.’..." ”

6 hours ago, nycHorn said:

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.
- Isaac Asimov.

Yeah, like the people who think the makeshift masks worn by people who don't know how to wear them would by itself make any noticeable difference.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Hell no. I refuse to buy that. There are more hot chicks at UT than at TSU. You just have to work harder to find them..Unlike the whoors(Ralph C) at TSU, who have nothing else going on. PROVE ME WRONG!

You don't get the point of Surly.

You are supposed to link pictures to prove yourself right!

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

I want to fuck with Nebraska so hard, NOBODY BECOMES AS MISERABLE AND DEPRESSED AS THEY DO WHEN TEXAS BEATS THEM.

This. I miss demoralizing Nebraska on a regular basis. Especially when we did it in Lincoln or the Big 12 championship. They had so much pride and were regularly pantsed by Texas.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

The problem is the mid tier admins are the ones who decide whose blood spills during the bloodbath.

So they will continue to get paid $200K to be the Assistant Associate Vice Dean of Conceptual Development while they replace tenure-track professors with adjuncts and grad students.

not when the VC money comes to town.

11 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

Wait, did people really think there would be college football season? That universities that already exploit young men for tens of millions of dollars would get away with risking their health, amidst a pandemic, for a cash grab? College ain't the pros, and the optics of playing college football in such an environment is terrible.

Maybe if this country had taken the pandemic seriously; maybe if we had actually invested in rapid, accurate testing <checks notes> six months ago when this was emerging; maybe if mouth-breathing fucking morons could be bothered to wear a mask; maybe if the dunning-kruger segment of society didn't think it was smarter than the "experts" about every fucking thing; maybe if we didn't have leaders who said grandma should die to save the economy ... then maybe we might be in an environment in which college football was possible. But no, America in 2020 is very fucking far from having its shit together, so enjoy your fall without college football. 

Incompetents by definition are unable to perceive their own incompetence.  Not that it matters, because the lowest common denominator dominates, bu the idiocracy number has been proven by covid to be around 37%.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1