Bryant Westbrook

Gil Bang

So, I've checked the googles. 

He's a coach in AZ,  but played his H.S. in Oceanside, CA.  I watched him play several games in person, Michael Booker was the opposite corner, and they didn't give up many passing yds. 

Anyway,  I was just wondering about the Oceanside connection, so I checked the internet tubes, and they were empty.  It says he was born in NC, but not much more.

Was his dad a Marine?   There are a lot of those guys in Oceanside.  I'm practicing the stay-at-home corona thing, and I've jacked off as many times as I can today, so I'm looking for other things to think about. 

• Like 1

That was a pretty darn good recruiting class - especially for Texas at the time.  Going off the freshmen on the roster they had:

Westbrook

James Brown

Taje Allen

Tony Brackens

Phil Dawson

Shea Morenz

Dan Neil

And several players that I recall by name, but may not have made huge contributions like - Mark Schultis, Cody Danaher, Tremaine Brown, and Tre Thomas.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That was a pretty darn good recruiting class - especially for Texas at the time.  Going off the freshmen on the roster they had:

Westbrook

James Brown

Taje Allen

Tony Brackens

Phil Dawson

Shea Morenz

Dan Neil

And several players that I recall by name, but may not have made huge contributions like - Mark Schultis, Cody Danaher, Tremaine Brown, and Tre Thomas.

I think Danaher was the unibrow guy. His first year or two media guide pic, world class unibrow. The next year, clean streak between the eyebrows suspiciously the same width as a razor blade. 

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Oceanside sucked... but not remotely as much as Jacksonville, NC.

Always figured he had military connection to go from NC to CA like that.

Depending on how long ago you were here, you likely wouldn't recognize it now.  Anything west of Hill St. (now Coast Hwy) is pretty much 1 million and up these days. 

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Depending on how long ago you were here, you likely wouldn't recognize it now.  Anything west of Hill St. (now Coast Hwy) is pretty much 1 million and up these days. 

I am sure.  It's gotta be monumentally different now. Was there in 90 and again in 93.

There were great areas in the surrounding communities, but Oceanside was pretty rough.  I much preferred to either go down to San Diego or up to LA.

54 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I am sure.  It's gotta be monumentally different now. Was there in 90 and again in 93.

There were great areas in the surrounding communities, but Oceanside was pretty rough.  I much preferred to either go down to San Diego or up to LA.

So, they changed the name of Hill Street because it had such a bad reputation.   They built about 500 "row homes" between Hill St. and the tracks that each sell for around a million bucks.  There are a dozen or so breweries, a ton of terrific restaurants, etc all downtown now.  One titter left, but it's closing down in the next month or two (come to think of it, the corona thing has probably shut it down for good now...I doubt it ever reopens).  The old nude joint downtown was the Playgirl Club.  The city tried for years to run them out of business.  Finally, the city bought the club from the owner for $500,000 and closed it down.  

The Harbor has been renovated and has cool restaurants and shops, and the annual dredging keeps the beaches nice and sandy. 

It's a nice town now.  

Ahhh Hill Street!!, lmao.   The changes sound very cool.   

Not sure which titter it was, but it was there downtown, all nude. I was 20 and drinking with about 5 buddies, but one dancer said she was 16 and we believed her.  Obviously she didn’t have the same allure to us young guys like the old pervs; but yeah... very, very sketchy.

Edited by Iceman

I have discovered an amusing trend regarding folks' opinions of North Carolina. If you lived here because of the military, odds are pretty good you can't stand the place. If not, you think it's great. It all comes down to whether you got to see the islands and the mountains as a tourist, or the mud and the mosquitoes as a grunt.

49 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I have discovered an amusing trend regarding folks' opinions of North Carolina. If you lived here because of the military, odds are pretty good you can't stand the place. If not, you think it's great. It all comes down to whether you got to see the islands and the mountains as a tourist, or the mud and the mosquitoes as a grunt.

Hell, even Ft Hood is in the heart of Texas between DFW and Austin/ San Antonio, but within the Army, it is not a very desirable post mostly because of our summers and distance to said cities/ airports.  I liked SoCal, i just didn't like Oceanside. 

Jacksonville NC is a shitass military town, plain and simple.  In my posts, I did not say the entire state sucked. 

15 hours ago, po elvis said:

Darron Norris was also from Oceanside.

If the refs hadn’t missed that the OU punter’s knee was down, we would have had the ball on their side of the field, and Darron would’ve scored on that run. No tie. No controversial interception no call. Texas wins. Switzer shakes Freddie’s hand. If only Darron was faster. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Jacksonville NC is a shitass military town, plain and simple.  In my posts, I did not say the entire state sucked. 

Both things are true enough. Most of the military folk who go through there, though, don't end up getting to see the rest of the state. Hell, most military folk only know the Pamlico Sound from the parts that border military installations, and therefore think it's one of the ugliest places on Earth. From that point of view, they aren't wrong.

25 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If the refs hadn’t missed that the OU punter’s knee was down, we would have had the ball on their side of the field, and Darron would’ve scored on that run. No tie. No controversial interception no call. Texas wins. Switzer shakes Freddie’s hand. If only Darron was faster. 

Winchester's Knee Was Down will be the name of my garage band playing Bon Scott era AC/DC covers.  

Fuck Barry Switzer

40 minutes ago, Iceman said:

As someone who grew up in Camp Lejeune for half his childhood and went back in 2012 for my 20th high school reunion, I can attest that Jacksonville is indeed a shitpot.  But if you venture out 15-30 minutes to hit Swansboro, Emerald Isle and the other coastal towns, it really is a great part of the state. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

As someone who grew up in Camp Lejeune for half his childhood and went back in 2012 for my 20th high school reunion, I can attest that Jacksonville is indeed a shitpot.  But if you venture out 15-30 minutes to hit Swansboro, Emerald Isle and the other coastal towns, it really is a great part of the state. 

wait...your mom lived there???

giphy.gif

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

And that 4th down slip in the rain going wide would have been a FG?  Was in that endzone my frosh year.  Had no idea there was a controversy on the punter knee thing cause it was on the other end of the field.(till talking to people who watched it and the replays on tv)  What a fucked up game.

Edited by zork

Just watched some clips from the YouTube on the 15-15 game, and if you fellas are taking about the long run down the sideline in the fourth, it was Kevin Nelson, not Darron Norris. The failure to score on the run led to a goal line stand by the thieves. Switzer then gave up the intentional safety to make it 15-12, and after the No-INT call, Ward kicked the tying FG.

And I’ve never been to Oceanside, CA.

32 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Just watched some clips from the YouTube on the 15-15 game, and if you fellas are taking about the long run down the sideline in the fourth, it was Kevin Nelson, not Darron Norris. The failure to score on the run led to a goal line stand by the thieves. Switzer then gave up the intentional safety to make it 15-12, and after the No-INT call, Ward kicked the tying FG.

I was at the game as a freshman. Never been to Oceanside.

6 hours ago, zork said:

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Dammit. I knew Darron would’ve scored on that play. 

And the pass in the end zone that wasn’t intercepted? There was blatant pass interference on OU, so we should’ve had a fresh set of downs, but not enough time for 3 plays. That’s how I remember it. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 3/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, South Austin said:

Man, is there gonna be some property destroyed tonight!!!