Grading Trump's Pandemic Leadership

F250

Grade Trump's Pandemic Leadership   

223 members have voted

1. 1. Trump has managed the Covid 19 crisis

• Excellent - Business skills are paying off.
    • Satisfactory - Doing the best he can with limited resources.
    • Unsatisfactory - Needs time to improve.
    • Fucking Failure - He is gasoline on a grease fire.
    • Not Applicable - The virus is not a threat.

Looking at it some more, the EUA process as it existed in Jan-Feb 2020 was cumbersome as hell and required extensive application for an EUA permit and publication of the request in the Federal Register, and an ensuing public comment period.  https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/emergency-use-authorization-medical-products-and-related-authorities

So yeah, the FDA kind of hoist itself on its own petard, as it seems to be wont to do.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

The question is, why did EUA used to happen in a few days but now takes significantly longer?  Did Trump's administration bog things down with new regulations (which would be ironic)?

Not that I expect you to know the answer, Twicehorn, I'm just trying to understand the article.

EDIT:  you snuck in another response before mine, thanks

Edited by jimmyjazz

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

The question is, why did EUA used to happen in a few days but now takes significantly longer?  Did Trump's administration bog things down with new regulations (which would be ironic)?

Not that I expect you to know the answer, Twicehorn, I'm just trying to understand the article.

Well, those regs above were enacted in January 2017.  And yeah, can't comment on what was in effect prior.

Also, rooting around some more, the latest "guideline" that actually provides accelerated action, was promulgated on February 29 and finalized March 7.

So it kind of appears with the wording above, quoted from fda.gov, the FDA is eliding the dates a bit to give an impression of earlier action.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:24 PM, JimmyJames said:

In every modeling of a flu pandemic (they thought it would be the flu) every single one assumed proper testing in the US because we obviously have the means to do it. The fact that this failed is Zimbabwe level bullshit and cannot ever be forgiven. The fact that it continues to be a failing can be laid squarely at the feet of our deranged narcissistic president. He needs to be removed immediately.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:08 PM, Anastasis said:

I'd sincerely like to see those models and the underlying assumptions to see how applicable the assumptions are to a novel coronavirus situation. 

Here is one from the institute of disease modeling in 2016 that predicted 1MM deaths by month 2 and 10MM by month 3 from a novel airborne flu virus.  I didn't do a lot of searching though. 

http://www.idmod.org/news/node/296

On 3/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, JimmyJames said:

All of the ones I’ve read basically mention testing in passing, just simply assuming it would have been done. Which of course it should have. The issue is not even really addressed. 

They are all on the flu though. Not exactly like the Coronavirus. I’ll link them for you tomorrow.

Find anything yet Jimmy?

I really, really thought he was going to go fully into the “it’s no threat, life will go on as normal” direction he stated when this first broke out. I thought we were headed for unmitigated disaster. Now we’re just headed for slightly mitigated disaster. I do applaud him for his change of tone, however brief it may last. Seriously. 

What is this fabled “change in tone “?

Actually taking this crisis sort of seriously?

Refraining from calling it “Chinese Virus?

Not using conspiracy language?

He’s still berating journalists for legitimate questions.

He’s still openly - in his Soviet style press conferences and on Twitter - demanding fealty from governors.

He’s still lying about testing.

He’s undermining medical professionals about what he thinks the states need instead of listening to them.

He’s still rambling nonsensical word salad and veering off script when he has prepared remarks on a teleprompter.

He’s flip flopping and outright lying and gaslighting about what actions he’s taking - the Defense Production Act just to name one.

He petulantly refused to included Democratic leadership in the bill signing ceremony.

Not being a bitch, but can someone who’s been praising his improved “tone” give me some action examples?

From where I sit, this supposed new “presidential tone” is make believe nonsense being pushed from folks want to believe it’s happening when every word from his mouth, his behavior, and every tweet he sends illustrate just more of the same.

Improved “tone” my ass.
  • Like 4

I need to start listening to a little Rush Limbaugh.  That way I can finish the sentences for those telling me 'their thoughts" on how well Trump is doing.  Tough for me to listen to, for certain, likely too tough. But  maybe tougher to have me finish your sentence , and then pointed ask if you have any of your own thoughts?

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

To me, the most incomprehensible result from the poll in this thread is that nearly 5% of y’all think Trump’s response will improve with time.  Have y’all been asleep for the past three years? This guy is incapable of changing.  Well, I take that back: he’s certainly shown the ability to grow into an even bigger sack of shit than we originally thought.  But he is incapable of improving

What you’ve seen so far is the best you’re going to get from him. It will only get worse from here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Question - how can an elected member of the legislative branch act as Chief of Staff for the executive branch?

He’s not running for re-election but he’s still a congressman right now, right?

He is set to resign before he becomes Chief of Staff.

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Here’s a link that cites and links more articles than you will ever want to read. I’ll try to get more specific when I’ve got the time. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6227252/

I don't see anything in there at all about assumptions related to testing and test capacity. 

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

What is this fabled “change in tone “?

Actually taking this crisis sort of seriously?

Refraining from calling it “Chinese Virus?

Not using conspiracy language?

He’s still berating journalists for legitimate questions.

He’s still openly - in his Soviet style press conferences and on Twitter - demanding fealty from governors.

He’s still lying about testing.

He’s undermining medical professionals about what he thinks the states need instead of listening to them.

He’s still rambling nonsensical word salad and veering off script when he has prepared remarks on a teleprompter.

He’s flip flopping and outright lying and gaslighting about what actions he’s taking - the Defense Production Act just to name one.

He petulantly refused to included Democratic leadership in the bill signing ceremony.

Not being a bitch, but can someone who’s been praising his improved “tone” give me some action examples?

From where I sit, this supposed new “presidential tone” is make believe nonsense being pushed from folks want to believe it’s happening when every word from his mouth, his behavior, and every tweet he sends illustrate just more of the same.

Improved “tone” my ass.

yeah, but that was just today.  he'll probably be better tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Again, seems relevant to this thread.

I got the impression from the earlier article that we would have been better off with Azar in charge than Pence.  But Azar didn't have complete authority in addition to not being the "czar."

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Again, seems relevant to this thread.

Let Bloomberg draft all the ads for Biden's team.  When all this is put on blast along with a struggling economy, dipshit is turbo fucked.  But not calling out all this shit will leave the door open...zero doubt. 

• Like 1

More “presidential tone”!

Bragging about his daily rally substitute ratings.

Comparing said ratings to “The Bachelor”.

Comparing said ratings to “Monday Night Football”.

Comparing said ratings to an unnamed “popular prime time sitcom”.

Encouraging local leaders to arm wrestle (I made this part up for comedic and dramatic effect) for medical supplies.

Downplaying state government claims of ventilator and PPE shortages because “people are saying that”.

Openly stating Democratic governors need to “be appreciative” to get federal assistance.

Cannot be bothered to acknowledge governors by name - especially women governors.

I welcome all y’all Gary Johnson voters (lololoololololol) to regale us with some specific examples of this new Trump and his newfound “Presidental Tone”.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, F250 said:

Trump's obsession with hydroxychloroquine should probably qualify him for expulsion. Never mind failing him, he needs to be expelled like a late night Taco bell meal.

he's building up his case for the Nobel Prize in Medicine 

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Donald J Trump has no pandemic grade point average.  All courses incomplete.  /deanwormer