Dazed and Confused

Knoxtnhorn

I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread on this movie either here or TOS,  

Surely some of y'all have some personal stories connected to this movie.  I've only got two and they're lame.  

One of my really good friends was an RTF major in the 90's and distinctly recalls MM practicing his lines in the back of class.  

Also, the long-haired kid that was always touching his nose had a Blockbuster account at the Blockbuster I worked at in the mid-90's.  Riverside.  I never saw him.

• Like 1

I met Renee Zellweger when I was recording demos for her boyfriend's band (Pariah).  She never mentioned D&C.  I guess she thought it was gonna be a complete bomb.  She was pretty excited about Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the time -- when I finally saw D&C I was surprised to see her on screen.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I met Renee Zellweger when I was recording demos for her boyfriend's band (Pariah).  She never mentioned D&C.  I guess she thought it was gonna be a complete bomb.  She was pretty excited about Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the time -- when I finally saw D&C I was surprised to see her on screen.

My guess is that Reneé didn't mention Dazed and Confused because she wasn't in it.  You likely have her confused with Joey Lauren Adams.  It's a common mistake. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Holy cow!  @Brandywine is correct.  She's the girl that walks by leading MM to ask about the freshman class.

I also just read that DandC casting directed was also responsible for Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  That's a pretty good hit rate for actors that moved on to bigger and better things.

5 hours ago, Deej said:

It was Ballard's at the time.

Negative, the Ballard's on Burnet Road was the grab-n-go scene right before the crazy old man opened fire on the GTO for destroying his mailbox.  That's a federal OFF-ince.

The liquor store was actually a liquor store at the time at the corner of Brentwood/N. Lamar.  

• Like 1

I know that. I missed the end of his post saying it was the liquor store and not the place they wahoo'd the beer.

And you're wrong about it being on Burnet. It's on Medical Parkway. 

Edited by Deej

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wasn't it filmed in Austin?  Could have sworn the opening scenes were ACC or something.

I think the exterior for the pool hall (where MM utters his famous line about high school girls) is a small strip center off North Lamar where Stiles Switch BBQ is now located. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I think the exterior for the pool hall (where MM utters his famous line about high school girls) is a small strip center off North Lamar where Stiles Switch BBQ is now located. 

Yep. Centennial sign still stands by The Rose and the machine shop is still there too (or was as of a couple years ago).

14 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

There was a Robo Car Wash in Seguin that looked like the one in the scene but not sure if it is the exact one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may have been the one where Justin Lane and Burnet Road intersect.  Now gobbled up by I think a VW/Mazda dealership.

The Rewatchables podcast did an episode on Dazed. I thought one of the more interesting notes about the movie is that Pickford was supposed to be one of the major characters, but he (21) hooked up with Mila Jovavich (16 at the time) and even got married, which later got annulled by Jovovich’s family. The cast was mostly annoyed by the whole thing and especially him. Linklater is very big on natural dynamics and relationships between the cast, so he slowly wrote him out of the movie and turned MM’s bit part into a much bigger deal. MM was famously known to be an instant hit with the mostly non Texan cast.  It’s why you see Pickford a lot at the beginning, but not towards the end, and vice versa for MM. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I walk by the baseball field nearly every day so this hits close to home.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The boy played his pony league ball there. The field was actually fixed up a bit for the movie, but it’s getting run down again.

northwest district park off shoal creek?  thought I’d heard that somewhere, not sure. 

or wait, is it the field by lions?

Edited by futureman

I don’t have a personal connection to the movie that I can think of, but one of my RTF professors was in Slacker. Raquel Tsangari I think her name was. Played the cousin on a bike at Trophy’s.

But Dazed is a a favorite of mine. In 2003 my brother and I tried to find all the filming locations. This was before that shit was readily available online. We drove around Austin and Georgetown finding most of them. Now it’s easy (although many are gone now).

I still watch the movie once a year in May. It’s the most appropriate time to view it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

The high school was Reagan right? Or was that just the football field. 

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The high school is Bedichek Middle School off 1st and Wm Cannon.  Also made an appearance as the middle school in Boyhood.

I feel like there’s a lot of bullshit involved with people’s knowledge of the filming locations.  I definitely remember hearing that the baseball field was the one by lions and that house park was the football field.  and some other bullshit places too that don’t immediately come to mind.