Dazed and Confused

Knoxtnhorn

I don't live in that area anymore and haven't for quite some time, but looking at google maps I would say yes.  It was at the intersection of Medical Arts, 40th and Marathon.

Shit yeah that’s the Shell. I used to walk to that gas station from my office every afternoon. Had no idea that that was the grocery store in Dazed and Confused.

It’s surprising that some of y’all don’t know the location of the more common spots. But I am probably just a little too into to that kind of thing.

The junior high is up in Georgetown. It has a Texas historical marker out front which is very briefly visible in the movie, which takes place in 1976. But if I remember correctly, those markers weren’t being used into 1977. I don’t think I have ever seen that mentioned when discussing “errors”.

I don’t recall if the criterion collection edition includes deleted scenes. I think one was the 3 dorks stealing beer out of someone’s garage.

A thread like this would be fun for Fandango. I thought I found the location of where Truman lands the plane near a grove of pecans but now can’t find it again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The exterior of the high school was shot outside the old Americana theatre on Hancock just off of Burnet Road. That scene was shot right in front of where that car is parked.

I think it is a library now.

spacer.png

It was a library, but recently closed up.

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The exterior of the high school was shot outside the old Americana theatre on Hancock just off of Burnet Road. That scene was shot right in front of where that car is parked.

I think it is a library now.

spacer.png

That wasn't the high school (Bedicek Middle School was), but it was used for the scene where the incoming freshmen girls were hazed by Parker Posey and gang. AIR RAID!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

That wasn't the high school (Bedicek Middle School was), but it was used for the scene where the incoming freshmen girls were hazed by Parker Posey and gang. AIR RAID!!!

Yes but always thought that hazing was suppose to be taking place in the high school parking lot.

• Like 1

Air raid or it's your ass...

I was able to catch one of the last Drafthouse screenings a few weeks ago before they closed up, Dazed & Confused at The Ritz location. Got about 5 of my friends high as shit before it, and a couple of them had never seen it. Everyone loved it. I felt one duty as a Houstonian turned Austinite was done. Still stacking up Austin points. 

Oh, and Pickford was indeed cool as shit, but I ain't taking anything away from MM, he played his part. 

8 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Air raid or it's your ass...

I was able to catch one of the last Drafthouse screenings a few weeks ago before they closed up, Dazed & Confused at The Ritz location. Got about 5 of my friends high as shit before it, and a couple of them had never seen it. Everyone loved it. I felt one duty as a Houstonian turned Austinite was done. Still stacking up Austin points. 

Oh, and Pickford was indeed cool as shit, but I ain't taking anything away from MM, he played his part. 

Sure, but Wooderson and the gang road tripped to Houston for Aerosmith tickets, and presumably the concert at a later date. 

• 2 years later...

This is one of my favorite movies. I’ve watched it dozens of times. This was my class year, 77, and this was a special time.

We all had hot cars (I had a 70 442) as they were dirt cheap. Hemi Cudas, Boss Mustangs, split bumper Z28 Camaros, Gs455 Buicks. The rich kids drove either conversion vans or Porsches or vettes. One dude had a Bricklin.

We didn’t do the hazing thing but large parties were common that crossed all lines between jocks, nerds, stoners, motorheads, rockers, in pursuit of beer and pussy. Most of the girls were free agents and there was lots of casual hooking up. Good times.

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hulu autoplayed Dazed after some bullshit my wife was watching. I hadn't seen it in a couple of years. Still holds up. Led me to finally get around to checking out Alright, Alright, Alright, an oral history of the movie. It's pretty good so far. 

have you watched everybody wants some!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, BurdineBandit said:

Oh, and Pickford was indeed cool as shit,

Shawn Andrews, who played Pickford, was an asshole. Him and London got into a fistfight on set and Linklater dramatically cut his part. Thankfully a lot of that went to MM

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wasn’t he also stalking Mila Jovovich?

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

He married her. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

She was 16 and the marriage was annulled after 2 months

^^^^^^^

that was the reason his part was cut.  London fought him because he married Mila. and basically as soon as the "failed" party scene was filmed, Andrews got written out of the movie.  It was cheaper to do it that way rather than re-cast and re-film almost the entire first half of the movie.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Shawn Andrews, who played Pickford, was an asshole. Him and London got into a fistfight on set and Linklater dramatically cut his part. Thankfully a lot of that went to MM

12 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hulu autoplayed Dazed after some bullshit my wife was watching. I hadn't seen it in a couple of years. Still holds up. Led me to finally get around to checking out Alright, Alright, Alright, an oral history of the movie. It's pretty good so far. 

Read this last year and really enjoyed it. 

They all had a great time around town during filming (other than Michelle Burke).  Jason Lee was dating Marisa Ribisi at the time (I think she was 17 and emancipated), so he was a part of the circus too.  Sounds like McConaughey was more of a tour guide and didn't participate much in the craziness with the rest of the cast.  Cole Hauser sounds like a maniac.

19 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t know why it didn’t get more buzz. it’s a fun movie, underrated. 

I enjoy the hell out of it, bought it on prime just so I have somewhere to watch it. But I can't think of many people to suggest it to. You have to be ok with a meandering storyline (one of the knocks of Dazed & Confused, if you don't "get it") and comedy based on congregated dude humor. And college. And sports/competition.

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoy the hell out of it, bought it on prime just so I have somewhere to watch it. But I can't think of many people to suggest it to. You have to be ok with a meandering storyline (one of the knocks of Dazed & Confused, if you don't "get it") and comedy based on congregated dude humor. And college. And sports/competition.

College?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's worth a watch just for Zoey Deutch.

And to see Juston Street act like a psycho.

Watching now. Considering changing my screen name to Willoughby.

Definitely d/l the soundtrack. Cherokee ChaChow was worth the wait.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2022 at 1:00 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

So this thread being bumped got me going down a youtube rabbit hole. Just realized, even the asshole coach drove a sweet Bronco. I learned to drive a stick on a Bronco of about the same year.

The coach wasn't really an a hole.  Given the circumstances he was actually pretty cool.  

On 5/18/2022 at 1:37 PM, TonyTexas said:

so i guess "prickford" wasn't just a catchy nickname.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why not her?

I remembered the broad strokes, so I thumbed back through the book.

She had a kid as a teenager and married the father.  They were on the outs when she came down to film, so she was in a very different place than the rest of the cast.  She apparently was flirtatious with a lot of the guys (particularly Hauser) but had her eye on Jason London, who was with Chrisse Harnos (Kaye) during filming.  

All of the female cast auditioned for Jodi, but got lesser parts.  According to Burke, the other girls, particularly Joey Lauren Adams and Parker Posey were all very bitchy to her because she got the lead.  The Shavonne/Simone/Darla car scene was written by Posey and JLA ("that bitch, I'm going to kick her ass...I'm not mad").  Per Burke, that scene was them bitching about her.  For JLA and Posey's part, they don't remember being purposefully mean to her, but their roles in the movie were the mean girls and they admit they may have let it bleed into the offscreen dynamics.  

Basically, she was in a weird place and may have read too much into the other girl's relationship to her.  She just didn't fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Anyway, the book is a real fun read.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I remembered the broad strokes, so I thumbed back through the book.
She had a kid as a teenager and married the father.  They were on the outs when she came down to film, so she was in a very different place than the rest of the cast.  She apparently was flirtatious with a lot of the guys (particularly Hauser) but had her eye on Jason London, who was with Chrisse Harnos (Kaye) during filming.  
All of the female cast auditioned for Jodi, but got lesser parts.  According to Burke, the other girls, particularly Joey Lauren Adams and Parker Posey were all very bitchy to her because she got the lead.  The Shavonne/Simone/Darla car scene was written by Posey and JLA ("that bitch, I'm going to kick her ass...I'm not mad").  Per Burke, that scene was them bitching about her.  For JLA and Posey's part, they don't remember being purposefully mean to her, but their roles in the movie were the mean girls and they admit they may have let it bleed into the offscreen dynamics.  
Basically, she was in a weird place and may have read too much into the other girl's relationship to her.  She just didn't fit in with the rest of the crowd.
Anyway, the book is a real fun read.

Jodi was so hot in that denim halter jumpsuit thing she wore to the moon tower. Yummy!
  • Hook 'Em 3