Austin company looking to dock paychecks for employees receiving stimulus checks

CHEF DIESEL

$350 billion in forgivable loans for small businesses who continue payroll. The company may be jeopardizing their access to these funds with this knee-jerk reaction. They should seek counsel to make sure they aren't killing the goose laying the golden eggs right now. 

For small business - 

• A $350 billion forgivable loan program designed to ensure that small businesses do not lay off employees

• A 50% refundable payroll tax credit on worker wages will further incentivize businesses, including ones with fewer than 500 employees, to retain workers

• Looser net operating loss-reduction rules that will allow businesses to offset more

• A delay in employer-side payroll taxes for Social Security until 2021 and 2022

• Sole proprietors and other self-employed workers could be eligible for the expanded unemployment-insurance benefits the bill provides

• A portion of the $425 billion in funds appropriated for the Federal Reserve’s credit facilities will target small businesses

Perhaps the Co. should increase wages for their workers to reflect their savings, i.e., flip the script. 

1 hour ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I like chief diesel better.  I guess the super chief was a diesel?  The train, not the porky pig adversary.

Dunno 'bout Porky Pig, but Elmer certainly wasn't too fond of it.

And to continue this OT sojourn, here's a clip from the same cartoon, my favorite gag in all of Looney Toonland:

I marvel at the shit the animators got past the censors in those days.

“The company that I work for is a national company and they make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit a year and instead of making sacrifices at the higher levels, they’re passing it on down to everybody else,” the worker said.

A simple lesson that every generation learns sooner or later.
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 8:48 PM, Deej said:

Don't we eventually see that money taken out of our taxes? Will they then reimburse their employees?

Supposedly the CARE Act stimulus checks for individuals and families will not have to be reported on the income tax forms next year. 
Tax free.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I guarantee you when shit like this happens, HR is fully complicit. Glad to see they backed off. Hate it that it required a guy going to HR to complain. Unfortunately for him, he was probably one of the few that did and through his syntax as quoted in the story, and location, they probably already know who he is. That’s the kind of shit that stunts career advancement. Sheerly through his visit to HR, he should be prepared to sue his employer at some point. 

That’s not the kind of company I’d wanna a career at.  

• Like 2

Supposedly the CARE Act stimulus checks for individuals and families will not have to be reported on the income tax forms next year. 
Tax free.
That would be pretty cool, ya know, because it's OUR FUCKING MONEY to begin with. Or maybe our great grandkids' money. Hell I don't know.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Paco said:
2 hours ago, Armybrat said:
Tax free.

That would be pretty cool, ya know, because it's OUR FUCKING MONEY to begin with. Or maybe our great grandkids' money. Hell I don't know.

Well, it's for damn sure gonna be their debt.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Screw those son of a bitches.  Wouldn't do it now for the sake of the employees during a difficult time, but when this mess is over they need to be run clear the fuck out of business.

I guarantee you when shit like this happens, HR is fully complicit. Glad to see they backed off. Hate it that it required a guy going to HR to complain. Unfortunately for him, he was probably one of the few that did and through his syntax as quoted in the story, and location, they probably already know who he is. That’s the kind of shit that stunts career advancement. Sheerly through his visit to HR, he should be prepared to sue his employer at some point. 

The HR department likely helped the company draft that letter.