2020-2021 NCAA (maybe???) basketball season thread

Pancho

I get that the 'Rona has made for a strange college hoops landscape, but Hoiberg is in the middle of dropping a fat steamer of a season at Nebraska. They dont have much of a  recent history of hoops success, but WTF Fred?

image.png.8e524b862f1577b39cddc35b7d810d84.png

Edited by Blotto

NCAA going 25% capacity in Indy for the tournament - includes players and coaches, support staff, essential staff, family members and fans in that 25% 

Mackey Arena: 3500 fans (First Four and 1st/2nd Rounds)
Assembly Hall: 4300 fans (First Four and 1st/2nd rounds)  Indiana announces only 500. 
Bankers Life: 5000 fans (1st/2nd Rounds and Sweet 16/Elite 😎
Hinkle: 2300 fans (1st/2nd Rounds and Sweet 16/Elite 8 )
Farmers Coliseum: 1600 fans (1st/2nd Round)
Lucas Oil: 17000 fans (1st/2nd Round, Sweet 16/Elite 8 and Final Four/Champ Game)

Maybe Texas will get lucky and get Farmers for the first 2 games - we're used to playing in front of that. 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

As a kid, I loved Vitale. Could listen to him all day, even bought his magazine every year. Now I can't take 5 minutes of his stale ass crutch phrases. Also, he can't stay on topic for shit. Always has to tell a story or bring up something that has nothing to do with the teams on the court. And most of the time, it's in the middle of live action.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

As a kid, I loved Vitale. Could listen to him all day, even bought his magazine every year. Now I can't take 5 minutes of his stale ass crutch phrases. Also, he can't stay on topic for shit. Always has to tell a story or bring up something that has nothing to do with the teams on the court. And most of the time, it's in the middle of live action.

I know he got his notoriety for his schtick, but he did understand the game and could break it down intelligently. He was the first color commentator I ever heard explain how to attack a matchup zone with dribble penetration instead of just saying stupid shit like "they gotta make some threes, shoot over the top of the zone!" 

He could also talk about what coaches could do to get and keep momentum in tangible ways, versus no-shit stuff like "if they start scoring and getting stops, they'll get momentum!"

He went full schtick in the mid-90s, around the time the Dukie V persona emerged, which was right after Indiana exited the stage of regular national contenders and he couldn't barnacle onto Knight anymore. 

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

great win by Michigan at Ohio State yesterday, one of the best-played games I've seen in years

I wouldn't feel right bumping Michigan over Gonzaga but they can have the overall #2 seed because fuck Baylor

No matter what Michigan is going to have to go through Baylor either as the 2 or 3 seed. After yesterday I feel a lot better about that. I really think that Zaga, Baylor and Michigan will be in the final 4 this year. 

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

No matter what Michigan is going to have to go through Baylor either as the 2 or 3 seed. After yesterday I feel a lot better about that. I really think that Zaga, Baylor and Michigan will be in the final 4 this year. 

As someone tweeted yesterday, it will be a joy to watch either Michigan or Ohio State lose to Baylor/Gonzaga in the title game.

4 legit contenders. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As someone tweeted yesterday, it will be a joy to watch either Michigan or Ohio State lose to Baylor/Gonzaga in the title game.

4 legit contenders. 

I think Baylor and Zaga are going to be on opposite sides so I think that is the championship game. Michigan/Baylor on one side and Illinois/O$U vs Zaga on the other. 

This year seems to be the year where there will be some upsets but the big dogs seem like they are on another level. 

Yesterday was fun.

#16 VT lost to GT by 16

#5 Illinois lost to MSU by 9

#2 Baylor beats winless ISU by 5 (lots to unpack there with Baylor coming back from COVID and missing players)

#14 Texas sweeps #17 KU in OT

#7 OU loses to under .500 KSU

#24 Mizz swept by Ole Miss

On 3/2/2021 at 8:21 PM, LTtxfan said:

Speaking of Creighton... WTF ???

Creighton assistant coach Terrence Rencher, who is Black, tweeted that he was "deeply hurt" by McDermott's words.

Didn't know Rencher was coaching there. 

On 3/2/2021 at 9:13 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Illinois just went in deep and raw and then broke it off in Michigan. 

They’ve got talent and speed. I’m not thrilled about tOSU’s chances today. I’d like to think the Bucks will want it more coming off a 3-game losing streak. But a common thread in the Chris Holtmann era is that his teams exceed expectations. The problem is that thread only holds until they don’t. Eventually they meet expectations by losing to better teams. The Bucks beat the Illini back in January so who knows? But it seems like the two teams are trending in opposite directions.