2020-2021 NCAA (maybe???) basketball season thread

Pancho

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's just like the RPI.  When someone asks why Colgate got a 12-seed even though they're #9 overall in NET, the committee chairman will explain that the NET rating is only one of the many tools they rely on, and then in his next breath explain that <large Power 4 school> was given a high seeding because of their outstanding NET rating.  

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It's just like the RPI.  When someone asks why Colgate got a 12-seed even though they're #9 overall in NET, the committee chairman will explain that the NET rating is only one of the many tools they rely on, and then in his next breath explain that <large Power 4 school> was given a high seeding because of their outstanding NET rating.  

Well the committee said it's not just overall NET ranking, which is basically in the third tier of how they seed.  It's Quad 1 and 2 record, road record, SOS, etc. 

Colgate's 0-0 Q1 record and 2-0 Quad 2 record is what's going to doom them.  But somehow Houston's 2-1 Quad 1 record is worthy of a 2 seed, so who the fucking fuck knows. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Hey Homer, selection show thread is over there --> 

Yeah dude I realized it later when I kept refreshing this like ‘where is everyone?  Why is no one showering me with sympathy and anger...I DEMAND SATISFACTION’.  Feel free to beg me 

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Holy shit 

This was one of the most heartbreaking Michigan losses for me in awhile. Coming back from 13 down to get within one and then have THAT as the final possession really hurt. Got to get it to Hunter download when the double bonus is on. Also, disagree with holding the ball until 3 seconds left when you are LOSING.

Illinois is insane. They are going to win it all. (Sorry Zags)

• Hook 'Em 1

AP All-America Teams:

1st

Jared Butler, Baylor
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
Cade Cunningham, Oklahoma State
Corey Kispert, Gonzaga
Luka Garza, Iowa

2nd

Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
Drew Timme, Gonzaga
Kofi Cockburn, Illinois
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
Evan Mobley, USC

3rd

Davion Mitchell, Baylor
Chris Duarte, Oregon
Quentin Grimes, Houston
Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Chicago
Herb Jones, Alabama

Considering Zags and Baylor both finished top 5 in the final AP poll, it's really between Howard and Oats for me.

Oats - 16-15 to 24-6 and a #2 seed.  Swept regular season and tournament titles.

Howard - 19-12 to 20-4 and a #1 seed.  Won the regular season (by winning % only).

My vote is Oats.  More impressive turnaround in my mind. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s maddening and it’s why you’d be insane to put them in the Final Four on your bracket. I’d be surprised if they made the Elite Eight. I hope they make the Sweet Sixteen. 

Hey, look! I’m an optimist! I’m not a pessimist!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Machinator said:

Obviously I hated the way it ended, not scoring a bucket for over 5 minutes and taking some brutal final possessions, but coming into the season Michigan was projected as a fringe tourney team. To have a big ten championship and a solid tourney run (Final 5 baby :) ) the season was a resounding success. Howard getting COY is just the cherry on top.

3 hours ago, Juicy said:

Obviously I hated the way it ended, not scoring a bucket for over 5 minutes and taking some brutal final possessions, but coming into the season Michigan was projected as a fringe tourney team. To have a big ten championship and a solid tourney run (Final 5 baby :) ) the season was a resounding success. Howard getting COY is just the cherry on top.

UCLA’s m.o. is to to make their opponent uncomfortable and out of their element.  Michigan and Alabama were both better than UCLA, but we just mucked up the waters enough to win.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Damn.  Seeing reports that BJ Boston was with him and may have passed as well.  Not sure it's been confirmed yet on him. 

He was in the car behind him. But prayers to him too. Couldn’t even imagine seeing that happen to a friend 

Russian Reaction GIF

Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. John Matassa, who works in the Valley Traffic Division, told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne that Clarke was a solo occupant in a vehicle that ran a red light going "at a very high rate of speed" in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles at approximately 2:10 p.m. PT.

"The incident was captured on surveillance video. He collided with another vehicle that was preparing to make a left-hand turn. He struck the vehicle, hit a street light pole and ultimately hit a block wall," Matassa said. "He was transported to Northridge Hospital and was later pronounced deceased as a result of the collision."

Matassa said the driver of the other vehicle, who was in a truck, did not claim any injuries. Clarke was driving a 2021 Hyundai Genesis, and he was not wearing his seat belt properly, according to Matassa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...