2020-2021 NCAA (maybe???) basketball season thread

Pancho

21 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Hard to think of any long-term successful championship winning coaches who are a bigger bitch than Krzyzewski.

I don't disagree and I do not like the man, as much as one can dislike someone I've never met but I do begrudgingly respect the guy. I suspect that if I were to insult his mother he would have no problem throwing down. So while he may be a bitch, he's no pussy. And I respect that. But fuck him. 

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Keyontae Johnson hospitalized in critical condition after collapsing on court

hope the kid survives.  pure conjecture on my part but this looks a lot like one of those hidden heart issues that we normally only find out after they pass. So its good news to hear he is still fighting. 

Seems kind of fucked up they continued playing this game. Duke is cancelling games just because Coach K's panties are twisted around his nuts , and these guys have to finish out a game after witnessing that? Who knows, maybe they would prefer to play anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Seems kind of fucked up they continued playing this game. Duke is cancelling games just because Coach K's panties are twisted around his nuts , and these guys have to finish out a game after witnessing that? Who knows, maybe they would prefer to play anyways. 

It's fucking ridiculous they played another minute. Total lack of leadership. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Keyontae Johnson hospitalized in critical condition after collapsing on court

hope the kid survives.  pure conjecture on my part but this looks a lot like one of those hidden heart issues that we normally only find out after they pass. So its good news to hear he is still fighting. 

Seasons gonna be canceled real quick if he’s found to have myocarditis from Rona 

9 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Seasons gonna be canceled real quick if he’s found to have myocarditis from Rona 

He reportedly did have COVID earlier in the year, so it's possibly related. But nothing will nor should be canceled. If anything, the thousands of sporting events successfully played around the world should be evidence that the myocarditis risk is minimal.

It just needs to be screened for as much as possible, so it wouldn't be surprising if some players who had COVID decide to opt out if they can't get checked via MRI. Johnson is an NBA prospect so there's no way he would have retired despite the risk.

51 minutes ago, Bartles said:

He reportedly did have COVID earlier in the year, so it's possibly related. But nothing will nor should be canceled. If anything, the thousands of sporting events successfully played around the world should be evidence that the myocarditis risk is minimal.

It just needs to be screened for as much as possible, so it wouldn't be surprising if some players who had COVID decide to opt out if they can't get checked via MRI. Johnson is an NBA prospect so there's no way he would have retired despite the risk.

Dude if a guy dies from a preventable condition the NCAA is not risking the liability moving forward

Hopefully he’s fine and it was just a freak thing. And I’m not saying the risk is high. Just if this tragic incident occured due to myocarditis the season is done imo

There have been barely any lawsuits for COVID deaths in 2020, much less successful ones (if any). It's too difficult to prove when and where someone caught the virus. And again, the lack of deaths and serious health problems among athletes at this point provides a ton of legitimate cover for the NCAA and pro leagues. In Johnson's case, it sounds like he had it well before the season and thus UF and the NCAA couldn't have prevented it anyway.

The season won't be stopping because of this incident, and so far it looks like cancellations/pauses aren't going to be prevalent enough to shut it down either. I doubt they hit the 75-85 percent completion rate of CFB though

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Don't remember but was the game continued when Gathers collapsed? 

From Wiki

Minutes after Gathers was taken to the hospital, the WCC commissioner suspended the game indefinitely.[30] ESPN broadcast graphic footage of Gathers's collapse on SportsCenter;[31] the network was at the game recording advance footage for the championship game it was scheduled to televise the next night. Late that night, the WCC canceled the tournament and awarded Loyola the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament due to its WCC regular season title.[32]

On 12/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, Underdog said:

Don't remember but was the game continued when Gathers collapsed? 

(Nvm - thought you were talking about the UF game)

On 12/12/2020 at 1:45 PM, MotownHorn said:

You're an idiot.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

It’s concerning that they aren’t updating Keyontae’s condition. They said they flew his family into Tally Saturday and announced he was critical but stable. Silence since then. I hope I’m not reading too much into that.

Not great

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Not great

Just saw this.  So armchair doctoring, would the medically induced coma and language like "following simple commands" lean more some kind of stroke or would some potential heart issue be treated in a similar way?