Idris Elba

Rand Paul

Boris Johnson

Prince Charles

The Klob's hubby

Canadian First Lady Sophie Grégoire Trudeau  

maxresdefault.jpg

I Love Rock 'n' Roll' songwriter Alan Merrill, 

Alan Merrill, co-writer and singer of the original version of "I Love Rock 'N' Roll," has died at age 69 from COVID-19, according to his daughter, who shared the news on social media.

"The Coronavirus took my father this morning," Laura Merrill wrote on Facebook on Sunday (March 29).

She continued: "I was given 2 minutes to say my goodbyes before I was rushed out. He seemed peaceful and as I left  was still a glimmer of hope that he wouldn’t be a ticker on the right hand side of the CNN/Fox news screen. I walked 50 blocks home still with hope in my heart. The city that I knew was empty. I felt I was the only person here and perhaps in many ways I was. By the time I got in the doors to my apartment I received the news that he was gone."

"How could this be?" Merrill's daughter said. "I was just at his show a couple of weeks ago. I had just photographed his portrait for his new album. Texted with him earlier. He played down the 'cold' he thought he had.

"People are dying. You don’t think It’ll happen to you or your strong family. It has. Stay home if not for you...for others. For my dad. This thing is real. We probably won’t be able to mourn him properly with a funeral. I just lost the greatest love of my life and won’t be able to hug anyone because I’ve been exposed and need to self quarantine for two weeks....alone," she said.

13 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This one hits very close to home. He is literally the first person I know IRL to get the diagnosis. He and my dad go way back -- when I was about 8, John stashed his black Cadillac in dad's driveway so his soon-to-be-ex wouldn't get her hands on it in the divorce. So there for a little while, John Prine's black Cadillac was my play fort. I didn't have a clue who he was at the time and it wouldn't have impressed me if I did. Dad hung around lots of songwriters and I had a front row seat for living room concerts by Townes, Guy, and Steve Earle, who was like my big brother for a couple of years circa 1976. But then years later I got turned on to Prine as an adult and man...you can't teach or learn the gifts that he has. He was just born with a rare talent and such a wise and warm sensibility. Time and time again, I've puzzled over the lines of his songs, wondering how the hell he thought of them, or who were his influences...Where does this stuff come from, John? He once told me he idolized Roger Miller, and that makes sense, but he took his songs beyond Roger's, and that's no slight to Roger. 

MAC has a couple really cool personal stories of some of those guys over in some thread on the music board. I forget what it is, but it's worth a read, especially right now, if you want to dig it up. 

@MaybeACoordinator I'm just assuming it was you  because of this story about Prine, but I don't really pay much attention to user names. 

On 3/30/2020 at 9:51 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

I recognize maybe 3-4 names. I need to watch more tv 

Other than the obvious reason that this thread is sad, it reminds me of how old I have gotten although I was starting to feel it several years ago. I too only recognize a few names and the rest of them I've never heard of.

I now know how my parents felt when I was growing up and I would mention a celebrity and they would look at me so confused and  asked who in the hell is that?  I don't think watching more TV will help me and I damn sure aren't going to get any younger.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

Adam Schlesinger, a musician and three-time Emmy-winning songwriter highly regarded for his work as a member of Fountains of Wayne and songwriter for TV’s “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” has been hospitalized with coronavirus and is on a ventilator but is not in a coma, as has been widely reported, Josh Grier, his attorney of 25 years, tells Variety.

“He’s very sick and is heavily sedated, as are all people on ventilators, but no one has used the word ‘coma’ to me,” Grier said. Schlesinger has been in an Upstate New York hospital for over a week and is receiving excellent medical care, Grier noted, adding that doctors were reluctant to make predictions because so much about the disease remains unknown.

Ray Benson: 

Well folks, the bad news I've contracted the corona virus!! Been feeling tired for about 10 days! Went to be tested on the 21st! No tests so went home! Went back yesterday feelin the same tired out of it and they tested ... first call this mornin from lab sayin you got it!!
Hoping for the best don't have the usual symptoms but feel tired head ache no fever no cough!!
I'll be ok sure do miss playin music and seein everyone!
Stay well this shits serious!! I have been alone for the most part and wore mask washed hands used hand sanitizer still got it! Do not listen to right wing BS!
Peace Ray Benson

(He CR'd it, not me)

• Like 1