John Prine - RIP

Uncle Boobs

In 2009, Bob Dylan told The Huffington Post that Prine was one of his favorite writers, stating "Prine's stuff is pure Proustianexistentialism. Midwestern mindtrips to the nth degree. And he writes beautiful songs. I remember when Kris Kristofferson first brought him on the scene. 'Sam Stone' featuring the wonderfully evocative line: 'There’s a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes, and Jesus Christ died for nothing I suppose.'[16] All that stuff about "Sam Stone," the soldier junkie daddy, and "Donald and Lydia", where people make love from ten miles away. Nobody but Prine could write like that."[17]

Johnny Cash, in his autobiography Cash, wrote, "I don't listen to music much at the farm, unless I'm going into songwriting mode and looking for inspiration. Then I'll put on something by the writers I've admired and used for years--Rodney Crowell, John Prine, Guy Clark, and the late Steve Goodman are my Big Four..."[18]

Roger Waters, when asked by Word Magazine in 2008 if he heard Pink Floyd's influence in newer British bands like Radiohead, replied, "I don't really listen to Radiohead. I listened to the albums and they just didn't move me in the way, say, John Prine does. His is just extraordinarily eloquent music—and he lives on that plane with Neil Young and Lennon."[

When Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and Roger Waters sing your praises, you done okay.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not seeing a location, but is Nashville a hotspot?

Nashville has a 2-300 cases I think, but they still are having trouble getting tests and convincing people to stay home. It appears that he got it from his wife.

Edited by Seger78

Stranger in the closet, lock the diary
The past is running faster singing harmony

Just one of a million wtf did that come from lines.

There’ll never be another like him after he’s gone, I sure as shit hope he pulls through. I wish they’d get his documentary released (I don’t think it’s out yet).

I took a Friday off work back in December and caught a flight to see him do a show in Florida, then flew back the next morning by myself. Damn I’m happy I did.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluto said:

Stranger in the closet, lock the diary
The past is running faster singing harmony

Just one of a million wtf did that come from lines.

Yeah, he's an extraordinary lyricist.  He puts things together that make the internal lyric nerd go "how in the hell did he think of THAT?" and THEN you realize that not only is it insanely clever, it's equally deep.

"You've broken the speed of the sound of loneliness . . . "

Really?  So many layers in that one line.

Get well, Mr. Prine.

• Like 2

This should be considered unsubstantiated rumor at this point, but I'm hearing from multiple people that Bill Carter is saying John has passed.  I don't know Bill and have no access to anything he might be posting, but that would be a pretty shitty rumor to put out there if it weren't true.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

This should be considered unsubstantiated rumor at this point, but I'm hearing from multiple people that Bill Carter is saying John has passed.  I don't know Bill and have no access to anything he might be posting, but that would be a pretty shitty rumor to put out there if it weren't true.

Fiona Prine just posted that she has recovered and John is in stable condition.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Fiona Prine just posted that she has recovered and John is in stable condition.

That's great news, so far.  I wish I could edit that post I made previously.  Like I said, I don't know Bill, but he knows John -- seems like pretty irresponsible "reporting" by one or more people.

One of Johns's versions of I think "Long Monday" that pops up from time to time on Pandora is a live version.

Before the song, he tells the crowd a story about writing this song. It's very dry and his delivery is perfect. It kills me every time I hear it.

I won't do it justice but here goes.

"I'm writing this song with my friend from London England.  He talks like Cary Grant but he doesn't look like Cary Grant.

I usually don't like writing songs with other people because you kinda have to be thinking about the same thing. 

And when we were writing this song I was thinking about my wife and I was hoping he wasn't."

Come on John

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

One of Johns's versions of I think "Long Monday" that pops up from time to time on Pandora is a live version.

Before the song, he tells the crowd a story about writing this song. It's very dry and his delivery is perfect. It kills me every time I hear it.

I won't do it justice but here goes.

"I'm writing this song with my friend from London England.  He talks like Cary Grant but he doesn't look like Cary Grant.

I usually don't like writing songs with other people because you kinda have to be thinking about the same thing. 

And when we were writing this song I was thinking about my wife and I was hoping he wasn't."

Come on John

He has a live version of The Other Side Of Town that he intros with this

"This song is about a man who over a long period of time, has developed this very special ability to travel in his mind, particularly when his wife starts going on just a little too long about something he hasn't done...........I read about this guy."

• Like 3

Some days this is my favorite John Prine song.  I don't know why, but it's always just hit me hard.  I'm not a very emotional person, but music has always been the thing that strikes me emotionally.  Like my wife says, it's my personal version of the "I am not a robot" caption shit you have to go through on websites.  This song really hits me "I am not a robot" button.

• Like 6

On 3/31/2020 at 9:47 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

He has a live version of The Other Side Of Town that he intros with this

"This song is about a man who over a long period of time, has developed this very special ability to travel in his mind, particularly when his wife starts going on just a little too long about something he hasn't done...........I read about this guy."

Fucking gold. Audience loses their shit when he says “when you get done talkin I’ll come back downstairs, and assume the body of the person you presume who cares”

please beat this fucking thing, John. My dad and I share a deep bond through his music and I know he will be absolutely gutted if john passes. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1