John Prine - RIP

Uncle Boobs

57 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Damn. RIP.

Wow. Saw somebody post on FB earlier today they were listening to a Prine tribute on Sirius XM and went looking to see if he'd passed away and I missed it. This sucks. I thought he'd been doing better and no news was good news.

I sit here and think . . . "well fuck, it got John" . . . and then I think "and it got Adam" . . . and then I think "fuck me it's gonna take 10X the people it already has, and I'm not only gonna be fans of a bunch of them, but I'm gonna KNOW some of them, and maybe even love a few, not the way I loved John Prine, but loved the way I love an Aunt or my wife's Mom or whatever" . . . and then I just cry and drink.

• Like 2

Stuck on him and Emmylou singing Magnolia Wind for Guy Clark. So sad. I was trying to brace for it. But it didn’t work. I hate losing these giants in country folk, means their spirit can’t create more, means I’m getting older, means more grief, even if only because of his art not any real human connection, means he’s just gone.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Stuck on him and Emmylou singing Magnolia Wind for Guy Clark. So sad. I was trying to brace for it. But it didn’t work. I hate losing these giants in country folk, means their spirit can’t create more, means I’m getting older, means more grief, even if only because of his art not any real human connection, means he’s just gone.

He left us goodness. We're richer.

• Like 3

Started listening to him when I started dating my wife. Just a spectacular chronicler of the human condition. 28 years later, my wife and I still love listening to him, and have been doing a heavy rotation the last 2 days. Listened to him all evening tonight. 

I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears.
Can’t forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs.

• Like 6

Love this pic Jim posted. I met John very briefly at the Peabody bar in Memphis before the Americanarama show in 2013. He got up and did  All the Best with MMJ and you could also see him side stage dancing to Wilco and Dylan throughout the night. Such a happy soul. I’m really happy now that I got to see his ACL taping last year up close and personal. RIP. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 4

Nsiap 

https://www.rogerebert.com/features/john-prine-american-legend

He appears on stage with such modesty he almost seems to be backing into the spotlight. He sings rather quietly, and his guitar work is good, but he doesn't show off. He starts slow. But after a song or two, even the drunks in the room begin to listen to his lyrics. And then he has you.

• Like 5

The opening couple paragraphs of this RS article from a couple years ago are just perfect. The whole thing is worth a read

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/inside-the-life-of-john-prine-the-mark-twain-of-american-songwriting-115459/amp/

John Prine sits behind the wheel of his Cadillac DeVille on a sunny Nashville afternoon, humming along to a cassette of Jerry Lee Lewis’ country hits. He slows down as he approaches a series of television-production trucks parked near his house. They’re probably here because his neighbor, country singer Kellie Pickler, is filming a reality show for CMT. Prine’s 21-year-old son, Tommy – home from college for the weekend and riding shotgun – says he’s gotten to know Pickler while out walking his dog. “Never met her,” Prine rasps. “All I know is she has three garbage cans and I have one.”

The singer’s presence, Prine adds, has invited “Homes of the Stars” tour vans to his neighborhood, which stop outside his house twice a day. Tommy recently caught his dad spacing out as he stood near his mailbox – “bright-red sweatpants, gravy-stained T-shirt” – oblivious to the tourists taking photos of him. “God knows what they say about our place,” Prine says.

• Like 3

I take comfort in his songs all the time. Whether you need to smile, cry, think deeply, Prine’s music is always there to help. 

this really sucks thank fuck he was able to share so much of the genius that lived inside of him. 

Today is day drinking on the porch while listening to my favorites. RIP John Prine. 

• Like 1

I have a photo to Todd Snider, John Prine and Cowboy Jim walking off the stage at the Ryman.  It is taken from the side stage.  I was really, really hoping to have Prine sign it and possible Cowboy Jim.  Now, both of them are gone.  I barely made it thru Petty.....(I'm not sure my liver actually did) but damn.......  I'm not sure I want to live in a world without John Prine.  

Happy Enchilada everyone.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 9

I never thought of myself as a person who gets upset because of celebrity deaths.  It somehow seemed odd to be really moved by the passing of someone you don't know.  But I certainly cried last night.  

After hearing the news, I put on Chain of Sorrows, which seemed appropriate.  Its such a perfectly written song. Then the album went on to Sabu Visits the Twin Cities, and I couldn't help but laugh.   Today I listened to The Accident and Jesus the Missing Years and laughed some more.  No other writer has the ability to capture the comedy and tragedy of daily life the way Prine did.  

• Like 1

John Prine was one of those artists I fell into later in life. There's a wisdom in his lyrics that young shits just can't understand, unless you've lived a hard life up till that point. I hadn't. I was a spoiled rotton, son of a bitch. I didn't know dick. I listened to shit music and probably forced that shit music on other people. Angel From Montgomery was probably one of the first songs of his I'd heard, but only then it was the Susan Tedeschi version (a complete and total ripoff of the Bonnie Raitt version, but it was her first record and she was doing the blues thing and there's no better person to truly emulate in that arena than Bonnie). It wasn't until I had children and became a somewhat functioning member of society that I heard Souvenirs. It had to have been somewhat after my grandmother had passed away, and I fucking lost it. Had to pull over to the side of the road. From then on I was hooked. Listened to pretty much everything of his that I could find. Had the opportunity to hit up the Bass Concert Hall performance a couple of years ago and had the time of my life. It looked like he did too. I'll miss his music, but thankfully he left so much behind. 

• Like 6