John Prine - RIP

Uncle Boobs

John Prine was one of those artists I fell into later in life. There's a wisdom in his lyrics that young shits just can't understand, unless you've lived a hard life up till that point. I hadn't. I was a spoiled rotton, son of a bitch. I didn't know dick. I listened to shit music and probably forced that shit music on other people. Angel From Montgomery was probably one of the first songs of his I'd heard, but only then it was the Susan Tedeschi version (a complete and total ripoff of the Bonnie Raitt version, but it was her first record and she was doing the blues thing and there's no better person to truly emulate in that arena than Bonnie). It wasn't until I had children and became a somewhat functioning member of society that I heard Souvenirs. It had to have been somewhat after my grandmother had passed away, and I fucking lost it. Had to pull over to the side of the road. From then on I was hooked. Listened to pretty much everything of his that I could find. Had the opportunity to hit up the Bass Concert Hall performance a couple of years ago and had the time of my life. It looked like he did too. I'll miss his music, but thankfully he left so much behind. 

That’s the thing about these guys, same with the Texas folk legends. If stings so goddamned deep when they go because they speak right to our moments of emotional sobriety when we have those ah-ha moments. For some they help the pain when younger (raises hand) for others they show the way, wake us up or say hey man you got that right, finally. Doesn’t matter when you arrive to the show, these are the kinds of artists that are there when you do show up and they have a profound impact on our evolution. Man it fucking sucks so hard to lose them. I think it’s because their arts wiggles way down in us and becomes a part of us even though we don’t know them personally.
  • Like 3

I think part of it is I don’t think there’s anything else left after this life. Jason Isabell’s oped was awesome (posted above) but I don’t believe he left to another stage. I think it’s over, finite, done and gone. And so the light is out. Maybe I’ll find solace knowing there is room for the next. I dunno. I wonder if these grandfathers have musical and artistic grandchildren to replace them. The richness. Shit I don’t want less I want more.

Was watching some Prine videos and deciding I was going to learn some of his music on the guitar after hearing of his death.

I only made it though Sam Stone and Hello in There before I just found myself just weeping. Has there ever been a songwriter who could write such whimsical songs such as In Spite of Ourselves and conversely write other songs that will just rip your guts out?

Sometimes he would do it in the same damn song such as The Other Side of Town, that’s true genius...

2 hours ago, troph said:

I think part of it is I don’t think there’s anything else left after this life. Jason Isabell’s oped was awesome (posted above) but I don’t believe he left to another stage. I think it’s over, finite, done and gone. And so the light is out. Maybe I’ll find solace knowing there is room for the next. I dunno.

Maybe our perspective is just too narrow.  There will be another John Prine, but his name will be Hank Williams, or something like that.  I just won't be around to hear him.  The world doesn't care.  The world will need him . . . then.

I do think Isbell is at least in the discussion.  It's possible he's just another draft pick who ultimately doesn't pan out, but he's high-D1 material, of that I am sure.

• Like 1

I think part of it is I don’t think there’s anything else left after this life. Jason Isabell’s oped was awesome (posted above) but I don’t believe he left to another stage. I think it’s over, finite, done and gone. And so the light is out. Maybe I’ll find solace knowing there is room for the next. I dunno. I wonder if these grandfathers have musical and artistic grandchildren to replace them. The richness. Shit I don’t want less I want more.
I know there is more after this life but I also know we will not be getting more new material from John Prine. At least not here.

But he is not done regardless of your beliefs.

Spent yesterday with my son finally putting in plants my mom bought us in January including a few peach trees ( oddly perfectly enough) Had the volume all the way up over the canyon playing John Prine. My son chimed in right in cue with "sizzling" on Lake Marie. Lake Marie! (We overlook Lake Austin)

So no, John is not finished here by a long shot.
  • Like 3

I know there is more after this life but I also know we will not be getting more new material from John Prine. At least not here.

Spent yesterday with my son finally putting in plants my mom bought us in January including a few peach trees ( oddly perfectly enough) Had the volume all the way up over the canyon playing John Prine. My son chimed in right in cue with "sizzling" on Lake Marie. Lake Marie! (We overlook Lake Austin)

One of the stronger humblebrags, you glorious sonovagun.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:38 AM, Born to Run said:

SHADOWS!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  Cool story.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, Seger78 said:

From Sturgill  https://theboot.com/sturgill-simpson-tribute-to-john-prine

Also, if you haven't seen this interview with Sturgill and John it's pretty great. You can see how much Sturgill loves John Prine.

"How did you pick the name Sam Stone?"

"I needed something that rhymed with came home"

Man, if this interview was 8 hours long I could've listened to it twice and thought it was too short. 

• Like 1

When I die let my ashes float down the Green River
Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester Dam
I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin'
Just five miles away from wherever I am

That’s exactly what’s going to happen. Half of his ashes will be spread on the river where he spent his favorite summers with his family, and other half will be buried in Chicago next to his parents.

Link

• 1 month later...

the youtube tribute concert is up right now.  I'm just now catching up after getting the kids to bed.  But you can move around through the two hours as you please.  Notice up top says it'll be there until 6/14.  Fair warning, it'll make you miss John all over again, not that we got over him last month or anything.  But holy shit, what he'd have to say what just happened in the last 60 days.  They're doing it at myriad venues that were John's favorites over the years.  

Holy shit, have some beer and some tissues at the ready.  Lotta laughs, lotta tears, lotta great tribute music.  I'm laughing and sobbing so loud, gonna wake the kids.  

If you can, watch it all straight through.  Absolutely gorgeous and incredibly well-timed and produced. 

The guitar slinger who rode shotgun in the story of life.  RIP, John.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I enjoyed his sons singing Paradise, and I think it was my favorite part of the special. That and Kacey’s pink Gibson.

Is that what we're calling our favorite part of her now?