COVID savings from working from home?

Wally Fairway

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

All the incredibly unnecessary (former) spending I'm seeing in this thread is making my head spin. Hope this is a wake up call for Americans. 

but i mean... isn't that the economy? aren't millions of people suddenly out of work bc we all stopped this 'unnecessary' spending? what exactly do we all need to 'wake up' from?

Edited by mchookem

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

but i mean... isn't that the economy? aren't millions of people suddenly out of work bc we all stopped this 'unnecessary' spending? what exactly do we all need to 'wake up' from?

I meant more the buying lunch everyday, getting coffee twice a day, getting drinks multiple nights a week every week type of things. Sure it’s good for the economy. Might not be so great for the individual.

Man, I’m not even sure I want to post it. I need to look at my credit card statement but we’re easily down $800-$1000 a week with probably an additional $100 in groceries added back. That doesn’t even get into the travel side of it and probably a stack of stuff I’m not thinking about. I’ll save $15k in May just on work related travel. It’s offset by our firm being down so it’s not like it will end as a positive.

Saving a grand a month in day care. Who knows how much we're saving from not eating out. My wife was getting in a mode of asking me to bring fast food for dinner every other day so it was adding up. I'm working from home so saving gas from a 45 minute commute each way. Keeping her away from Target is probably making a dent as well. 

The only time I've gotten fast food since we started self isolating a few weeks ago was a week ago purchasing 10 chicken sandwiches from Chick-fil-a and freezing most of them. My son is addicted to them so it's real easy to pop one out and quick defrost it in 3 minutes and it tastes just like it would fresh. They lasted a week. 

Not savings related but I've lost 11 lbs since I'm taking this opportunity to try and eat healthier to both use up less of our groceries and most importantly to lose some weight. I started jogging again every other day to help with that and to keep me somewhat sane. I REALLY miss my weekly basketball games with coworkers and friends. 

Saved an extra $800 in March. It would've been a lot more but we don't keep many groceries in the house and I had to buy everything.  We are down to eating out once a week. Normal is over $1500/month.  I got gas in both cars 3 weeks ago and they're still at the full line so no idea when I'll get gas again. Normal spend is around $250/month.  After school care is done ($255/mo) starting in April.  Weekly tennis lesson for kid is done ($50/week).  Dropped YoutubeTV due to no sports ($50/mo).  Dropped two vinyl record subscriptions ($70/mo total).  However, the bullshit nickel and dime expenditures is where we are going to save money. I downloaded bank transactions and every month there were hundreds of bullshit <$10 transactions for crap.  Those are all done.  I expect to save an extra $2-3K in April.  

6 hours ago, dad said:

y. Keeping her away from Target is probably making a dent as well. 

Same here.  No trips to Target and Costco for unnecessary crap she can't stop herself from buying, is probably saving us $700/month, no exaggeration.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

35 a day in dog walking
25 a day for breakfast/lunch/coffee
15 a day transport

So roughly 75 a day during the week or 375 a week. Plus 265 a month gym membership and untold amounts since I'm cooking at home and NOT ordering our or going out. Also no random shopping trips.

Pro tip on dog walking (when the world is normal again)

1.) Go on next door

2.) Ask parents if Any teenagers / preteens need a job to make $

3.) Pay said teenager $100 / month for dog walking

4.) Prof.... spend less $

$35/ day to walk a a dog seems borderline illegal.

12 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

1.) Go on next door

$35 a day is for two large dogs.  The going rate for a walk in NYC is about 20-25 per dog.  :D

Oh, yeah, also saving on boarding/house sitter from NOT traveling.  That would have been a couple of grand at a time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

I meant more the buying lunch everyday, getting coffee twice a day, getting drinks multiple nights a week every week type of things. Sure it’s good for the economy. Might not be so great for the individual.

Why do you hate the American Dream?

43 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

1.) Go on next door

Gig economy, bro. 

Someone walking 8 dogs per day @ $35 per dog = $70,000 a year.  People will pay because they’re too busy and/or treat their dogs like a small child  

Welcome to 2020

Here is a savings tip, that may apply to your situation.
There are 4 of us isolating at home, one back from college and 3 of us who are working from home or laid off. We have 3 cars, I've put 2 of them into storage classification for insurance purposes and that saves me about $75/month each (I only have PL/PD on them as they are paid off beaters, you could save more if you have comprehensive). 
It is a good way to limit travels, and save money; and it is starting to feel like this will last longer than into next week.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Gig economy, bro. 

Someone walking 8 dogs per day @ $35 per dog = $70,000 a year.  People will pay because they’re too busy and/or treat their dogs like a small child  

Welcome to 2020

A friend of mine got laid off in 2009 and she took up dog walking while she was looking for work. She quickly realized there was money in dog walking and targeted some old people's association in Alamo Heights and within 6 months of being laid off she was making more in dog walking than she was making before she was laid off. Several things that probably helped was that she already was a huge animal person, a 9.5 in looks and had one of the best personalities I've ever met.

1 minute ago, F250 said:

A friend of mine got laid off in 2009 and she took up dog walking while she was looking for work. She quickly realized there was money in dog walking and targeted some old people's association in Alamo Heights and within 6 months of being laid off she was making more in dog walking than she was making before she was laid off. Several things that probably helped was that she already was a huge animal person, a 9.5 in looks and had one of the best personalities I've ever met.

rules, asshole. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

35 a day in dog walking
25 a day for breakfast/lunch/coffee
15 a day transport

So roughly 75 a day during the week or 375 a week. Plus 265 a month gym membership and untold amounts since I'm cooking at home and NOT ordering our or going out. Also no random shopping trips.

you spend $700 a month for dog walking?  somewhat ironic considering your $265/month gym membership.  not criticizing, merely observing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

you spend $700 a month for dog walking?  somewhat ironic considering your $265/month gym membership.  not criticizing, merely observing.  

Or more.  I have 2 dogs who weight about 75 lbs each in Manhattan.  I am only a mile from the office, but shit happens.  I walk them in the mornings, then I have someone come between 3-5.  That way, if I have an exercise class, want to go to happy hour or meet up with folks, I am generally ok until about midnight.  I then come home and walk them again.  

It is the least I can do for them since I took their backyard away.

• Like 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Or more.  I have 2 dogs who weight about 75 lbs each in Manhattan.  I am only a mile from the office, but shit happens.  I walk them in the mornings, then I have someone come between 3-5.  That way, if I have an exercise class, want to go to happy hour or meet up with folks, I am generally ok until about midnight.  I then come home and walk them again.  

It is the least I can do for them since I took their backyard away.

that works out to $35 / day for one walk each day?  

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Might have added a couple of weeks to my life by not eating out.

But my favorite restaurant down the street with a huge craft beer list is filling growlers at a pretty hefty discount so I’m drinking a lot more. I’m al so stress eating more sweets and missing my regular gym appointments. It’s a struggle to run outside with all the pollen and other shit. It’ll be a wash for me health wise.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

But my favorite restaurant down the street with a huge craft beer list is filling growlers at a pretty hefty discount so I’m drinking a lot more. I’m al so stress eating more sweets and missing my regular gym appointments. It’s a struggle to run outside with all the pollen and other shit. It’ll be a wash for me health wise.

Sorry to hear that. One thing that helps me is going out back and digging holes. I call it "gardening," but so far, it's mostly just digging holes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yes, my dog walkers charge me $35 for the two dogs.  

So 5 x 35 = 175.  So if 4 weeks in a month, it is about 700.  

when you go out of town do you board them or do you have someone come and stay?  how much does that run?

52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

funny enough i def snack a lot less at home than in the office  maybe I’m subconsciously rationing my snacks 

Even given the large size of my estate, social distancing was becoming difficult and I have had to temporarily lay off most of the downstairs help and roughly 50% of the remaining employees.  They were all understanding except for the onsite haberdasher, who gave me the double bird on the way out.  Believe you me... He will be dealt with very harshly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

1.) Go on next door

guessing in part the $35 is due to where @PenelopeWitherspoon lives...

On 3/30/2020 at 2:14 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Not paying gym memberships for April is saving $180 and no fees for youth sports is another $350.  Still trying to pick up take out from the regular places, because I want them to be there when all of this is over.

My wife works out at Define in Houston.  $250 a month.  I don't mind because she goes at least 4 times a week and thus stays in great shape.  They are doing online classes, but I kind of hate dishing out $250 a month for that.  We don't want to cancel because our friends own it.

I am saving a bunch on dry cleaning, not eating out, no bars, and cancelled a fishing tourney in Port Mansfield that is easily a $2-3k weekend when you factor in getting boat ready, booze, fuel, house rental, entry fee and side pots (side note, we've won money only twice in 20 years).

I am pretty sure summer camps will be cancelled.  That saves us $8k plus the shit you have to buy for camp plus the cost of driving back and forth twice to bumbfuck Arkansas and renting a place to stay on the pickup weekend.

Will save us childcare in summer also.

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Here is a savings tip, that may apply to your situation.
There are 4 of us isolating at home, one back from college and 3 of us who are working from home or laid off. We have 3 cars, I've put 2 of them into storage classification for insurance purposes and that saves me about $75/month each (I only have PL/PD on them as they are paid off beaters, you could save more if you have comprehensive). 
It is a good way to limit travels, and save money; and it is starting to feel like this will last longer than into next week.

That's a great idea.  We are at my ranch socially isolating.  I am going to do it with both vehicles.  If I need to go to town for groceries and booze, which I won't for at least two weeks, I will take a ranch truck.

I don't need insurance to drive around our property.

I never thought of this.

Eating mainly at home is our big saving.  We still order to go to support our favorite places and their staff but even that is cheaper than eating in and buying cocktails and wine.  And we cook a lot.  Plus every lunch is cheap at home. 

And time.  I live three miles from my office.  But not having to shave and put on a coat and tie saves me time.  I get up and work.  I can get my daily work done in 5-6 hours.  And then do family stuff.  That part is a small beautiful thing in this horrible mess. 

18 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My wife works out at Define in Houston.  $250 a month.  I don't mind because she goes at least 4 times a week and thus stays in great shape.  They are doing online classes, but I kind of hate dishing out $250 a month for that.  We don't want to cancel because our friends own it.

I am saving a bunch on dry cleaning, not eating out, no bars, and cancelled a fishing tourney in Port Mansfield that is easily a $2-3k weekend when you factor in getting boat ready, booze, fuel, house rental, entry fee and side pots (side note, we've won money only twice in 20 years).

I am pretty sure summer camps will be cancelled.  That saves us $8k plus the shit you have to buy for camp plus the cost of driving back and forth twice to bumbfuck Arkansas and renting a place to stay on the pickup weekend.

Will save us childcare in summer also.

Summer Camps will be big savings. Saving a ton on eating out. Ate out almost 90% of the time.

I filled our big vehicles up one time after getting back from Spring Break vacation and they are still 3/4 of a tank. So that is nice. 

I've been pretty underwhelmed with the private school Zoom teaching (1-1.5 hour a day of instruction) which basically turns into either us homeschooling or they are falling behind. I was cool with paying the tuition in March but come April and May, if school is out until next year, I think I might put up a fight about paying the tuition and just having them read books and do math or whatever at my discretion.

I'm sure they will pull the "you lose your spot in the school and can't come back in the fall" or "you will have to pay a massive admin fee to register the kids back in the fall" card.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Deej said:

Not sure how much money I've saved, but I'm back below 180 pounds having stopped eating out. So, down about 15 pounds. 

I eat much better when on the road or eating out; my experience is the opposite. Up like 5 lbs in 3.5 weeks :(

Wife and I already were both working from home so there are no real savings there. We're eating out less for sure. Only bought one to go meal in the last 2 weeks. Our grocery bill has gone up since the kids are now eating 5 more meals at home each week. All the little extras we would spend on going place or going out are gone. We're definitely moving towards buckling down. My job is pretty safe. Hers is more tenuous given her company does marketing and sales. We're gearing up with the assumption she'll either be furloughed or let go by May.  So whatever stimulus money we're getting is going straight to savings.