COVID savings from working from home?

Wally Fairway

Well that's a rip off. Also, every month? My wife gets her hair cut like twice a year.
I don't go every month. I go 2 to 3 times year. It's all about quality. When I go for a haircut, I'm usually doing something drastically different. I had the same guy in Houston for 4 years. I paid 150 per cut then.

7 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Approximate family Savings / week -

Maid - $35

Gas - $10

Eating out for lunch - $70

Eating out for weekend meals - $20 ( We continue to pick up curbside on our favorite spots, just not as often)

Misc: Trips to dept stores, toy stores, movies, haircuts etc - $75 ( My wife cant spend all of our/her money now. She told me yesterday she finally paid off her CC and wants to start saving and finally contribute to her 401k. I didnt know she had a balance......)

Extra spending / week -

Groceries - $25 (This isnt as much as we thought as we are strategically buying more and only buying the stuff we need.)

Utilities - $5-10 (This wont be much as wife has WFH for 7 years)

Where the fuck go you live where a maid is $35?  Harlingen?

• Like 1

I don't go every month. I go 2 to 3 times year. It's all about quality. When I go for a haircut, I'm usually doing something drastically different. I had the same guy in Houston for 4 years. I paid 150 per cut then.
Gotcha. $150 is closer to reality down here. Wife spends less than $100 I think.

Mine of course are $20 including tip but I go every three weeks.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Saving money on daycare, but I’d gladly pay double if it reopened.

I remember the before times when I used to gripe about the cost of day care. 

Now they could name their friggin' number and I'll bend over and take it with a smile on my face.

Edited by BradInATX

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

If I ever paid more than 20 for a haircut I would punch myself in the nuts.

I go to a shop where the owner has the first chair and there are 3 other guys who split the other 2 chairs. 
I plan on paying the owner $100 for my next haircut, and the other guys at least $20 for a non-haircut tip.
Because I can afford it, they all give a decent haircut, and I don't want to have to find a new barbershop.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, Orange&White said:

GF's Mom used to come and sit in our house every weekday to watch TV and play with the dogs and wash the kids clothes. She'd crank the AC to 65 and then open the patio door so the dogs could go in and out. So our net utility increase won't be bad with that gone

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 10:30 PM, Redmen62 said:

Meanwhile our incomes are safe, our mortgage rate has fallen to 1.45%, and the government (Canada) is talking about backing $12k lines of credit at zero interest over several years as a form of stimulus

Dang, I'd take the full loan and put it in an index fund. Or, buy govt bonds so that they're paying you interest on their (everyone's) money 

I’m pulling for a continued lockdown after looking at expenses for 30 days pre 3/16 and post 3/16. I meet clients for lunch/dinner/drinks quite a bit and spend a lot of time on the road visiting our offices which is a sizable difference. However, having my wife and kids locked up at home also made a significant difference. They had gotten carried away with me being tied up a lot of the time.

Yep, she is.  She went to Spain right at the beginning of March, and had to quarantine.  She called me from quarantine to let me know.  She is great.  
I really like all the walkers there.  

Awesome(well not about the quarantine), she has a good rep for sure. I think I told you but the wife works there at corporate on 13th/5th-6th.

• 3 weeks later...