ESPN to air the 2006 Rose Bowl this Thursday at 7pm CST

Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Right. One guy leaves the box. Along with a blocker (Bush). Nothing accomplished. They basically never had both on the field at the same time. Our defense was geared to stop White and worried about nothing else. There is no reason for us to believe they're throwing the ball there. It makes zero sense considering abilities, situation, clock, etc. If they're throwing that ball it's to Jarrett or a late leak from the fullback.

White was averaging something like 8.5 yards per carry in the 2H and we really hadn't been able to stop him all night. it would honestly be like Texas going for it on 4th and short when we had Ricky and he had been abusing some poor defense all day. They were 1.5 yards away from winning the national title and they had a freight train in the backfield. there was only one thing they were going to do there. 

Edited by Goo Punch

11 minutes ago, SDG said:

monday morning is easy.  

It was obvious at the time...they're already losing at that point, whether its 1 point or 3 is barely relevant, and with very little time. A time out could have been huge in trying to get into FG range. Especially with Danelo having limited range. 

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I have never heard this argument before and it really wasnt a better finish. It was a quality game but nowhere near the level of 3 Heisman finalists, 2 heisman winning players, the win streaks, the hype, the buildup, the transcendent once in a generation talents, Vince Young.... it can never be replicated, no game will ever match this game. That was the game that will define college football forever. 

The lead-in show about Games of the Century actually had a good point. The playoff, for all its benefits, kind of kills the one off hype mentality of this kind of game. 

The lead-up of an entire season all toward one game can't be replicated. I mean everyone kind of anticipates Alabama playing Clemson every year now but it's not the same. There are the semifinals to get through, etc. There were exactly 365 days of hype for this game. Once USC finished off Oklahoma for the title  on 1/4/2005 everyone was asking "but what if Texas played USC"? Sure 2004 USC should have been favored over 2004 Texas. But then people started thinking about Young with another year, USC losing a little on defense, etc. The hype started a full year before the game.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Right. One guy leaves the box. Along with a blocker (Bush). Nothing accomplished. They basically never had both on the field at the same time. Our defense was geared to stop White and worried about nothing else. There is no reason for us to believe they're throwing the ball there. It makes zero sense considering abilities, situation, clock, etc. If they're throwing that ball it's to Jarrett or a late leak from the fullback.

Now that you mention it, it's crazy that USC didn't put Bush and White on the field more often. You'd be forcing defenses to make an incredibly tough choice every play. Sarkisian could have done so much more with USC's offensive talent than he did.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

one of the few times in life i cried over a game.  that and the mavericks winning, and the rangers going to WS 

I wish I could say the same thing but I was one of those kids that would meltdown when the Cowboys lost a big game. I once tore all my Cowboys posters off the wall ripping shit up when they lost to the Redskins in the conference championship.

Just now, satyanash said:

Now that you mention it, it's crazy that USC didn't put Bush and White on the field more often. You'd be forcing defenses to make an incredibly tough choice every play. Sarkisian could have done so much more with USC's offensive talent than he did.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. You could say they should have, but it was 2005 and they were both tailbacks.

It's like saying "MAN COULD YOU IMAGINE VY AND JAMAAL CHARLES RUNNING AN RPO?!?!?!?!?" It's all hindsight. Based on that season and what they dominated with, Carroll absolutely made the correct decision.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

The lead-in show about Games of the Century actually had a good point. The playoff, for all its benefits, kind of kills the one off hype mentality of this kind of game. 

The lead-up of an entire season all toward one game can't be replicated. I mean everyone kind of anticipates Alabama playing Clemson every year now but it's not the same. There are the semifinals to get through, etc. There were exactly 365 days of hype for this game. Once USC finished off Oklahoma for the title  on 1/4/2005 everyone was asking "but what if Texas played USC"? Sure 2004 USC should have been favored over 2004 Texas. But then people started thinking about Young with another year, USC losing a little on defense, etc. The hype started a full year before the game.

and immediately went to hype level 11 when the first AP poll came out in August with USC #1 AND Texas #2...  

12 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You would think with population growth that wouldve not been the case

It's not the population, it's the amount of channels and other things to do that come along the way. That's why shows like the MASH finale still have the best ratings and won't be beaten. 

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They scored 50 points a game.  He really couldn't have.  And it was Norm Chow.  Derp, you're right, 2005 was the first year of the Kiffen/Sarkisian combo.

Edited by WBT

10 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

I just want to give this thought some real serious positive thoughts.  Fisher had a gift given to him and couldn't try to work it to its potential.   Did Fisher ever win anything worth a flip?  The only weird part of this is that of the marquee offensive players - Bush, Leinart, White, Young, it seems to me that VY actually had the best pro career.  Rookie of the year, I think.  

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Werent they #2 in offense and averaged more than 50 points a game. Cant say he couldve done much more.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well, being one of the big boys on the block made the hype a lot more enjoyable.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, the playoff sucks and has diminished the regular season just like everyone said it would.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 2

Yeah, that's kind of my point. You could say they should have, but it was 2005 and they were both tailbacks.
It's like saying "MAN COULD YOU IMAGINE VY AND JAMAAL CHARLES RUNNING AN RPO?!?!?!?!?" It's all hindsight. Based on that season and what they dominated with, Carroll absolutely made the correct decision.
Wasnt that what the zone read was?

It is surprising that coach Brown didn't realize that QB is the most important piece of the puzzle and he better sign the top guy every year. He was lucky Colt turned out to be Colt for the next 4 years. He could have had a Saban-like run if he had just signed the QBs willing to come to Texas, let alone chasing and landing Simms-level QBs from all over the nation.

36 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
46 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Wasnt that what the zone read was?

No, zone read was a called run, QB only decided whether to give to the back or keep and run himself. RPO added the pass option.

20 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Thoughts on David Pino?

Above average to good college kicker. Seems less than that only to Texas fans who were in the middle of witnessing an incredible two decade run of very good to great college kickers (for which Mack Brown deserves some credit).

Pete Carrol, Jeff Fisher, and others are trending and Pete's decision not to rush Beast Mode on the goal line in the one Super Bowl is making a lot more sense after that last play with Lendale Whie is rerun. So is the timeout on the two point conversion.

Holy cow! I never thought of it before.....Coach Pete’s decision in the super bowl was subliminally impacted by his negative outcome in the rose bowl?  Really?  How many years difference?  Kind of hard to believe, IMO...beast mode had been dom8nating force all year, correct, but white was 2nd best rb on his team.....I don’t buy this 100%....maybe 60%.  Any evidence?

16 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Holy cow! I never thought of it before.....Coach Pete’s decision in the super bowl was subliminally impacted by his negative outcome in the rose bowl?  Really?  How many years difference?  Kind of hard to believe, IMO...beast mode had been dom8nating force all year, correct, but white was 2nd best rb on his team.....I don’t buy this 100%....maybe 60%.  Any evidence?

Yes, the evidence is he made the right decision in the Rose Bowl but he failed the outcome vs. process test and then made the wrong decision in the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, the evidence is he made the right decision in the Rose Bowl but he failed the outcome vs. process test and then made the wrong decision in the Super Bowl.

We will never know for sure it was the wrong decision in the super bowl, because there is no certainty beast gains the yardage. Could have been a fumbled handoff.  What I meant was has there been any interviews with Pete to indicate his thought process?

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Both plays backfired and he lost both games so how is one decision right but the other wrong? 

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

White was averaging something like 8.5 yards per carry in the 2H and we really hadn't been able to stop him all night. it would honestly be like Texas going for it on 4th and short when we had Ricky and he had been abusing some poor defense all day. They were 1.5 yards away from winning the national title and they had a freight train in the backfield. there was only one thing they were going to do there. 

Even players who were interviewed said it was stupid Bush was not on the field for the most important play of the season. With White in the backfield, you know exactly the call. 100% he wil get the ball up the middle. With Bush on the field, you have to have someone commit to him no matter what. You never know if a misdirection or toss is coming. I want the defense to at least have something to think about. With only White in the game, they had nothing to think about but attack straight up field and hopeful you get penetration. It will always be a dumb call. The next dumbest thing was calling a timeout on a 2pt conversion play. Everyone in the stadium knew the call on that play and calling a timeout is not going to stop it. Let them have it and save the timeout. That timeout would have been enormous to have. It would have changed the complexion of that whole last drive.

Carroll botched the end of the game tremendously. Which he does quite often but so many times he has tons of talent to overcome it, especially with USC where they just ran teams off the field with talent. It has reared its ugly head more in Seattle with his questionable decisions since you can't just out talent teams in the NFL on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Macanudo said:

This is bringing back 15 years of memories

It's sad this is already 15 seasons ago. Time fucking flies. It keeps getting further and further away. We had a good 4 year stretch after this game and it has been dogshit ever since. Unless things turn around soon, we are going to turn into Cowboys fans just re-living the glory years of the old times. And so much discussion of what might have been for other games.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Even players who were interviewed said it was stupid Bush was not on the field for the most important play of the season. With White in the backfield, you know exactly the call. 100% he wil get the ball up the middle. With Bush on the field, you have to have someone commit to him no matter what. You never know if a misdirection or toss is coming. I want the defense to at least have something to think about. With only White in the game, they had nothing to think about but attack straight up field and hopeful you get penetration. It will always be a dumb call. The next dumbest thing was calling a timeout on a 2pt conversion play. Everyone in the stadium knew the call on that play and calling a timeout is not going to stop it. Let them have it and save the timeout. That timeout would have been enormous to have. It would have changed the complexion of that whole last drive.

Carroll botched the end of the game tremendously. Which he does quite often but so many times he has tons of talent to overcome it, especially with USC where they just ran teams off the field with talent. It has reared its ugly head more in Seattle with his questionable decisions since you can't just out talent teams in the NFL on a weekly basis.

If Carrol has that timeout - he can throw a 5-10 yard quick pass from the Texas 43 to set up a ~50-52 yard game tying FG instead of that slow developing drop back that bled the clock down to 0:00.

That was as enjoyable as it was the first time. I was reminded again how much USC dick sucking went on before and during the game. Fun to listen to the stuttering and back-pedaling after things started going sideways.

I'll never understand why ESPN thought that they had to time edit the game. What is so important in the sports world that they can't block out a slot long enough to show the complete game? And the post game. They dropped the ball on this one.

• Like 1

Before he went to the NFL, Pete Carrol was something like a great Big Game coach, and a bad "Small Game" reputation for losing to a bad team and costing USC some shots at National Championships. It was losses to teams like Oregon State that kept the Trojans going back to the Rose Bowl for mismatches against B1G champions when the team had the talent to win a BCS title game.

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

If Carrol has that timeout - he can throw a 5-10 yard quick pass from the Texas 43 to set up a ~50-52 yard game tying FG instead of that slow developing drop back that bled the clock down to 0:00.

Yep. That timeout was huge. They got into our territory with 8-10 seconds left. They could have easily set up for a tying FG. Also, I have no idea what they were doing on that last play. Leinart lets the time run out and then throws a half ass pass. Hell with the college rules and the clock stopping on a 1st down, they could have did a 12-15 yard pass and then tried to spike it. Or a intermediate pass to the sideline to stop the clock and then tried the FG.

13 hours ago, F250 said:

I wish I could say the same thing but I was one of those kids that would meltdown when the Cowboys lost a big game. I once tore all my Cowboys posters off the wall ripping shit up when they lost to the Redskins in the conference championship.

haha i used to get that bent out of shape over dallas, them letting me down all the time became the new normal for me, so i expected it hahaha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. That timeout was huge. They got into our territory with 8-10 seconds left. They could have easily set up for a tying FG. Also, I have no idea what they were doing on that last play. Leinart lets the time run out and then throws a half ass pass. Hell with the college rules and the clock stopping on a 1st down, they could have did a 12-15 yard pass and then tried to spike it. Or a intermediate pass to the sideline to stop the clock and then tried the FG.

Outright panic by Leinart dicking around there on the last play. That same thing almost cost Colt McCoy in the 09 Big XII game where he held the ball too long but luckily it landed out of bounds w 1 sec left.

• Like 1