Winners and Losers - COVID

ernest_t_bass

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Is it Deloitte?  Cause I have a serious question for y'all regarding Logistics and your Austin team.  Lotsa money on the line. 

No, sorry. They’re the bad guys.  FYI - and you may already know this, none of the big 4 are particularly big in Austin. Outside of Audit/Assurance, most firms are funneling work though Houston or Dallas.  

I work in the cloud space IaaS/SaaS/PaaS security architecture and shit has been unusually busy. We had a call this morning with executive leadership and I must say the happiness about the recent increase in revenue felt weird. The current health crisis is causing a lot of companies that were on the fence to lift & shift from on-prem to the cloud in a big way. I feel pretty bad for a lot of those traditional IT data center workers because I suspect a lot of those people are going to see the job market shrivel up.

Had a call recently with a customer that will be migrating and their networking manager kept asking questions about network management. She didn't fully grasp how networking works in the cloud and finally asked what their role would be once the migration was complete. The call got quite for a couple of seconds, I think she finally realized her and her people's job would become obsolete.

Not surprising but toll road usage is way down. I know a lot of them are privately owned. They were planning on using the extra mopac express lane revenue to help fun the new project on 183 north. 

Another winner is the lungs of everybody in very polluted cities. Read that Delhi isn’t at dangerous levels right now when they are typically at 40x the threshold for the most dangerous level.

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Not surprising but toll road usage is way down. I know a lot of them are privately owned. They were planning on using the extra mopac express lane revenue to help fun the new project on 183 north. 

Another winner is the lungs of everybody in very polluted cities. Read that Delhi isn’t at dangerous levels right now when they are typically at 40x the threshold for the most dangerous level.

It's crazy how much the pollution levels have decreased in India. Below are some photos of the Himalayas from places that haven't had a view of them in 30 years.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:56 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

I usually put around $1,500 on my credit card each month and pay it off. Currently sitting at $205 with 10 days left. Pretty much all of that was from hitting up a few local restaurants doing take out. Evidently the big loser is places I was running up bar tabs.

Same. Just bought a couple of Hermes and Ferragamo ties I've been eyeing since with the windfall.

21 hours ago, Parliament said:

My buddy has been looking for home gym equipment on Craigslist.   Says prices are up 2 or 3x.

A buddy was selling a PS3 and got 100 offers above asking. People are desperate for gym equipment and entertainment 

Kyle Larson/NASCAR tossing their hat into the ring.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/13/lifestyle/nascar-star-kyle-larson-uses-racial-slur-during-virtual-race/

NASCAR star Kyle Larson used a racial slur on a live stream during a virtual race — the second driver in a week to draw scrutiny while using the online racing platform to fill time during the coronavirus pandemic.

Larson was competing in an iRacing event Sunday night when he appeared to lose communication on his headset with his spotter. During a check of his microphone, he said, “You can't hear me?” That was followed by the N-word.

Loser:  Good journalism, Good editing

Reading Dallas morning news online version and Imelda Garcia has an article titled "Diabetics especially vulnerable"

"In Dallas County, 24% of Hispanic residents have fallen ill with the disease."

This made me pause as a prior article identified the number of infected 2,428 so this didn't sound right.  The article then said.

"And the County's COVID-19 report released Friday states Hispanics have made up 32% of the counties hospitalizations from the disease."

So I go to look at the demographics of Dallas County.  The county is 40.5% Hispanic/Latino from a population of 2.64M.  so 24% = approximately 256K Hispanic/Latino residents afflicted with COVID-19 per the article.  Definitely news worthy if true...but it's not.

If we assume the 24% is actually the percent of those confirmed with COVID-19 (from the actual Dallas County total) and the 32% is a hospitalization rate of the 24%, AND the Hispanic/Latino population is 40.5% of Dallas County, then from a pure percentage standpoint the Hispanic/Latino population is far less represented than an even demographic split would be expected.

Now the Hispanic/Latino percentage is likely under reported/tested as infections are probably much larger and people (especially poor or immigrant) are likely not being tested/treated at the same rate as other groups.

However, the information represented is 1.) wrong (24% of Hispanics do not have the disease), and 2.) Indicates Hispanics are doing better than other racial demographics...for which no breakout is provided.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

• Like 2

Winner: Me and the oldest

Oldest finally got a job(17), now that school is cancelled.

Might sound shitty for the oldest but is working as a courier and averaging $25/hour. It also helps with the isolation and boredom.

Taking precautions naturally but the job is really only dealing with mail, packages, and front porches/mail drops.

Edited by pacman

On 4/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, Enchubben said:

Work at a big 4 accounting firm. We have been told they are eliminating variable comp (bonuses) for all employees this year and reducing partner comp by about 20%.  This in an effort to not have to layoff low performers.   High performers - Losers. Shit ass employees and lazy partners - winners.

Yes, but the big 4 accounting firms need the poor performers like the Soviet Army needed cannon fodder

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Winner: Shake Shack. 

Alerts media that they want to return their $10 million in PPP funds, receives at least that much free advertising by every single news media outlet.  Also benefits from the virtue signaling of the whole thing.

Just now, Lat22 said:

Alerts media that they want to return their $10 million in PPP funds, receives at least that much free advertising by every single news media outlet.  Also benefits from the virtue signaling of the whole thing.

It worked for me... wife sent me to get Shake Shack last night because of it.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 9:46 AM, ABSR said:

Loser:  Good journalism, Good editing

Reading Dallas morning news online version and Imelda Garcia has an article titled "Diabetics especially vulnerable"

"In Dallas County, 24% of Hispanic residents have fallen ill with the disease."

Having not read the article, I take that title and statement to mean 24% of Hispanics in Dallas county have the beetus, not the Rona. 

On 4/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, Lat22 said:

Yep,  Mad Money guy said that this would be bad publicity for them but there used to be no such thing as bad publicity.

Winner:  US and European Manufacturing (as well as Latin America as I could the US moving capacity there from a cost perspective)

Loser:  China

I know upthread someone said China is winning.  Not so fast...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-21/china-s-coronavirus-diplomacy-has-finally-pushed-europe-too-far

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-21/missouri-sues-china-for-campaign-of-deceit-masking-outbreak

Fuck China.

On a personal note:

Winner: My bank account and pocket book

Loser:  My sanity.  Sigh.

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Winner:  US and European Manufacturing (as well as Latin America as I could the US moving capacity there from a cost perspective)

Loser:  China

I know upthread someone said China is winning.  Not so fast...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-21/china-s-coronavirus-diplomacy-has-finally-pushed-europe-too-far

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-21/missouri-sues-china-for-campaign-of-deceit-masking-outbreak

Fuck China.

On a personal note:

Winner: My bank account and pocket book

Loser:  My sanity.  Sigh.

Agreed on all counts.

A wise political move would be to realize that our strategic interests don't just include the production of tanks and bombs -- it includes the production of things vital to our national security and safety.  So, we can still let private industry buy some things from China, but we need to have gov't subsidized production of strategically necessary items (e.g., PPE, drugs) domestically.  It will cost us money - so use some of our national defense budget to do that.  Because we're much more likely to need masks and drugs than we are to need another 500 fighter jets.

Also, yes on the travel.  Will save some money on travel this summer.....at the cost of our sanity.  Both kids will miss study abroad experiences, so we'll need to figure out what they're going to do the month of June.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed on all counts.

A wise political move would be to realize that our strategic interests don't just include the production of tanks and bombs -- it includes the production of things vital to our national security and safety.  So, we can still let private industry buy some things from China, but we need to have gov't subsidized production of strategically necessary items (e.g., PPE, drugs) domestically.  It will cost us money - so use some of our national defense budget to do that.  Because we're much more likely to need masks and drugs than we are to need another 500 fighter jets.

Also, yes on the travel.  Will save some money on travel this summer.....at the cost of our sanity.  Both kids will miss study abroad experiences, so we'll need to figure out what they're going to do the month of June.

Agreed.  While I believe that you should speak softly and carry a big stick, the military-industrial complex has been on steroids for a long ass time.  Hell, I would argue that being able to combat pathogens/chemicals is part and parcel to national defense, so it absolutely SHOULD be subsidized and covered by that overall defense budget.