The Greatest April Fools Joke of All Time, Bar None

Hornius Emeritus

My friend Eric listened to the report on the radio and bought it hook, line and sinker.  He was telling me about this guy who was hitting 168 mph on the radar gun and I was saying "No way. Nolan Ryan barely gets over 100 mph,"  but he was insistent.  Imagine the egg on his face, metaphorically speaking, when it was revealed to be a prank.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2014/10/15/curious-case-sidd-finch

• Like 3

I got 4th grade pretty good last year.  It wasn't April Fools, but still pretty good.  They knew I liked to do pranks, so I really had to plan this one out.  We are departmentalized, meaning I taught writing to all of 4th grade.  Halloween.

t-5 days.  I related a story to my classes about how I didn't get to trick or treat much as a child because my parents thought our candy would be poisoned or have razor blades.

t-3 days.  I read them a story about poison candy.  My students loved to hear spooky stories - especially those that I made up.

t-1 day.  I sew the seed.  My first class comes in at the beginning of the day.  I had my wife leave me a voicemail message stating that Halloween had been cancelled this year due to a poisoning scare.  I played the msg and acted surprised.  Did anyone believe me?  Or course not.  That is, until they saw the news stories on WFAA and The Dallas Morning News.  I had found an app where you could take a website template and change the words and pictures.  I took screen shots of WFAA and DMN and created fake news stories stating that there was a poisoning scare and that the city councils of Richardson, Plano, and Garland were going to institute a curfew starting at 5PM on Halloween night.  The kids complete bought it.

At lunch, I told the students that, not only was there a new news article, but I had been contacted to be interviewed.  I read the "story" about the cancellation of Halloween on our microphone in the lunch room.  When I got to the end, I read the following, "We reached out to a local elementary school teacher to ask him about his thoughts on the curfew.  Mr. ******* stated that he was incredibly sad and surprised that......... his students completely fell for this prank!!"  They screamed so loud, both principals came running down the hall.

/csb

• Like 8

On 4/2/2020 at 9:35 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

you have to figure someone who could throw 168 mph would just dial it back to 90% and have pinpoint accuracy, too. 

otherwise he's just Ryne Duren

Otherwise, think how many batters, catchers, umps, and people sitting in the first five rows he would have killed.