24 Hours of the '06 Rose Bowl on LHN

TrashMaster G

Of course we all give praise at the altar of VY for this game. But the whole team was full of guys who played such major roles in this game. Selvin Young taking VY's pitch for the first TD. Michael Griffin picking off Leinart to set up the score. Ramonce popping off a nice run to keep drives going. David Thomas catching almost everything thrown his way. The 4th and 2 stop. It really was a team effort and they were definitely a team of destiny.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Of course we all give praise at the altar of VY for this game. But the whole team was full of guys who played such major roles in this game. Selvin Young taking VY's pitch for the first TD. Michael Huff picking off Leinart to set up the score. Ramonce popping off a nice run to keep drives going. David Thomas catching almost everything thrown his way. The 4th and 2 stop. It really was a team effort and they were definitely a team of destiny.  

i agree. There were so many big plays in this game that could have gone the other way.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Of course we all give praise at the altar of VY for this game. But the whole team was full of guys who played such major roles in this game. Selvin Young taking VY's pitch for the first TD. Michael Huff picking off Leinart to set up the score. Ramonce popping off a nice run to keep drives going. David Thomas catching almost everything thrown his way. The 4th and 2 stop. It really was a team effort and they were definitely a team of destiny.  

Michael griffin

I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion, but the announcers in this game were horrible from start to finish. Doesn’t take away from the game, but I wish they would have the Craig Way audio. 

Also, I wish they would play the 05 Rose Bowl a little more often. I remember how that game ended, and that VY went the fuck off, but I barely remember anything else. For how starved for content LHN is, you’d think they would go to one of the top 5 games of my longhorn football watching life a little more. Same thing for the 08 game against OU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Michael griffin

I don’t know if this is an unpopular opinion, but the announcers in this game were horrible from start to finish. Doesn’t take away from the game, but I wish they would have the Craig Way audio. 

Also, I wish they would play the 05 Rose Bowl a little more often. I remember how that game ended, and that VY went the fuck off, but I barely remember anything else. For how starved for content LHN is, you’d think they would go to one of the top 5 games of my longhorn football watching life a little more. Same thing for the 08 game against OU.

Fouts was good imho. Jackson, not so much...

Fouts understood the greatness he was so privileged to witness in person that night. Keith was clueless.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Michael griffin

05 Rose Bowl was tremendous in setting things up for the next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Michael griffin

I have a recording of the Craig Way broadcast of all four quarters and the post game on my iPhone.  I still listen to the 4th quarter every now and then. 

Just watched the Griffin pick again. When they showed the replay in the stadium & all the Horns fans realized it was a pick, the crowd reaction is spine-tingling even to this day. Unreal...

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, Wild Bill said:

Thank god we learned how to cover a kickoff.

We just needed to snuggle up to #1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

The clincher for me was his confusion on the clock not running for our 2-point conversion play.

clock didnt move on that play.

well with the extra point its probably not going to....

Fouts doing his best to not make Jackson look like an idiot. 

3 hours ago, Wild Bill said:

I think Mangum's kick gave the program the confidence necessary to win it all the following year.  Vince and company had everything in place even if they lost, but there was something special about winning that Michigan game.  I was there, lost my shit in the stands. I'm just a dumb fucking fan, but I have to think the excitement of that win - a great back and forth game - had to have an effect through coaches and players also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I could attend another 1000 years of Texas football games and nothing will come to that  night in Pasadena. 

I’ve tried to explain this to people who aren’t Texas fans. It can’t be topped. The build up alone makes it impossible to top, but then the game was as good as it gets.

This game is why even if I'm angry at the current state and the past decade of Longhorns football, it's not the end of the world. I can still take to my grave that I saw my team win the greatest championship game in history. And it was enough.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This game is why even if I'm angry at the current state and the past decade of Longhorns football, it's not the end of the world. I can still take to my grave that I saw my team win the greatest championship game in history. And it was enough.

Personal circumstances kept me from attending this game.  I was there four years later when we played 'bama.

I'm a little bitter.

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Conversely, imagine if we lost that game. I guarantee you the last decade would have been pure hell.