It's Census Day!

Somnio

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Why do I have to specify what kind of white I am? It keeps kicking me out for not giving a specific response.

I just said I was white and that I was a Texan. They accepted that answer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Why do I have to specify what kind of white I am? It keeps kicking me out for not giving a specific response.

This question was one I don't recall from 2010. That was the time we got the long paper form that took quite awhile. I remember it asked for race, but not the origin so when I saw that on the online this year I was like what? My family has been in America since before the Revolutionary War and I'm supposed to list origin? Colonial New York? Same with my husband whose family were in America around the same time after arriving from Canada but France before that. The only reason I know any of that is because of a family member who did the real deal genealogy in order to become one of those DAR members. Same with husband's family.

Wish I would've seen that your answer worked @dimyh.

Kind of confusing, still did it in 3.5 minutes. For ethnicity I put hispanic, and picked Mexican origin. Then in the race part I clicked White but it wanted me to type something in for it. Never seen that before. So I just typed in “hispanic”.
Can we just be recognized as a race already? 

I was always used to picking “white of hispanic origin” as my race on necessary forms, pretty straightforward. There was always just a “white of non-hispanic origin” option for the gringos, but I guess since it’s the census they want a more specific answer. 

18 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This question was one I don't recall from 2010. That was the time we got the long paper form that took quite awhile. I remember it asked for race, but not the origin so when I saw that on the online this year I was like what? My family has been in America since before the Revolutionary War and I'm supposed to list origin? Colonial New York? Same with my husband whose family were in America around the same time after arriving from Canada but France before that. The only reason I know any of that is because of a family member who did the real deal genealogy in order to become one of those DAR members. Same with husband's family.

Same, I just put English cause of my last name.

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yeah, we had the long form back then as well, and I don’t remember it.   I was surprised at how short the short form is.   
 I tossed in Texas, Arkansas, American, and the general “Scottish, Irish, English, German, Norwegian etc. ” for me and added those plus their mom’s side for the kids. Put the other races in our tree as well.  If we get a follow up (narrarator: we won’t), I’ve got our tribal cards, and various records (they do not give a shit about family trees so it doesn’t matter).

Anybody putting answers that are meant to be funny will probably get a call next month, from “quality assurance” or whatever they term it this time around, or an in-person visit (they aren’t hiring 500,000 temp workers for nothing).   But it’d have to be weird enough to flag something in the database  

Pretty sure they are expecting a few hundred different answers in the identity section, including all of the states, and various countries (that may not even exist on paper anymore).  And many don’t even know their origins.   

If anybody is curious, the official site lists more info https://2020census.gov/en/about-questions/2020-census-questions-race.html

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It's due today?  For reals?

Heck I don't think we've even received the mailer yet.

You should have normally gotten two letters with a 12-digit code tied to your address, and a postcard reminding you to look at one of the letters.   My letters were dated March 12, March 16, and I didn’t look at the postcard, but received it a  few days ago.  I asked a bunch of family and friends, and everybody that got one, got a short form.  One person received nothing.  

So maybe you all are getting the long forms.   Or you fell through the cracks.  Or maybe you are in a really new house that did not make it into the database for printing on time.  

Expect somebody in person though.   And they will get their census questions for your address filled.  Knew somebody that took a tempt job with them 20 years ago, and they had a few people balk, and they got creative with getting answers.  These days, they’d probably start with public records since those are cheap and easy to do online.  

You’re not in trouble.  You’re just going to get an in-person visit. 

And if you got the letters and didn’t fill it out by today, they will probably send a few more letters and then somebody in person if you ignore those.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 hours ago, Deej said:

I didn't know what to put either, so I put European-American.  I'm a mutt with ancestors from at least three or four different countries in Europe so it made the most sense to me.

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

I didn't know what to put either, so I put European-American.  I'm a mutt with ancestors from at least three or four different countries in Europe so it made the most sense to me.

The judges would have accepted white Euro trash as well.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Over/under 1 million for Austin?

I think the City of Austin proper will end up being just shy of a million, like 990,000.

Travis County will be about 1.3 million.

The 5 county Austin metropolitan area will be in the 2.2 million range.

33 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I wrote in Irish/English/French/German/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish/Dutch/Canadian/Australian/Spanish/Portuguese/Swiss.

I know I missed a few but I got tired.

You lazy Irish/English/French/German/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish/Dutch/Canadian/Australian/Spanish/Portuguese/Swiss bastard.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dimyh said:

I just said I was white and that I was a Texan. They accepted that answer.

I put "unknown' as I am adopted.

That's the one thing on there that pisses me off on there.   What fucking difference does it make?

Edited by Iceman

when does the counting officially end?  I think Austin is so close to 1.0mm, that the literal end date will be the deciding factor.  Obviously new moves to Austin have slowed markedly with Covid-19, but there'll also be an exodus into Austin this summer.  I'll also be curious to see how San Jose grows and if Austin catches it for #10, if Houston catches Chicago for #3 (doubtful for 2020, but certain for 2030).  San Antonio is certain to overtake Philly for #6.  

Crazy to think when my dad taught me about the census in 1980, Philadelphia, Detroit, and Baltimore were all in the Top 10.  We know what has happened to those last two and Philly will probably be out of it by 2030.  

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

when it asked what gender my wife was despite I already told them I was married to the opposite sex, was mind blowing

Maybe they should have asked you your gender then ??  That, and today gender seems to be a moving target day in and day out.

Edited by Onboard 2.0