covid-19 mental health

Goredho

As our isolation lengthens and we have started to see people we know of (celebrities, musicians, etc...) die, I've noticed an effect on my mental state.  I have more anxiety and am having trouble getting a full night's sleep.  Soon we will start to see people that we have a direct connection to die.  Friends or family members.  So I imagine the psychological toll is going to get much worse for all of us.

This thread is about how the fuck we mentally cope with all of that over the extended period of time that covid-19 is with us.  I'll toss out two things that are helping me right now:

1. Self-development:  Having an isolation-friendly and positive activity that I want to grow in and can set goals around.  For me, its playing guitar, writing songs and recording them.  I am also teaching my kids guitar, so its sort of giving them the same thing.  Bonus benefit:  if I keel over, my kids have something to remember me by.

2. Exercising:  I hate exercise and only have ever done it for the health benefits and as minimally as possible to not be too sloppy.  But now, I'm basically doing cross-fit for pussies with things found around the house and walking our stairs a lot through the day to increase my cardiovascular health.  I am probably only improving my odds to fight off the disease slightly, but that alone gives me a sense of some control that boosts my mental state.

What are you doing to safeguard your mental health?

• Like 6

We are trying to have structure.  So much time for online school a day, so much time for exercise, some creative time, some screen time.  It works, but we have our moments.  Wife and I have a private office out of the house we use so thank God for that.  She had to leave and go there this morning cause the kids forget that the house has become an office in the mornings.  She tries to be polite, but teenagers take shit so personal and drama ensues for no fucking reason.  May 1st can't get here fast enough.  Fuck 2020.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

We are trying to have structure.  So much time for online school a day, so much time for exercise, some creative time, some screen time.  It works, but we have our moments.  Wife and I have a private office out of the house we use so thank God for that.  She had to leave and go there this morning cause the kids forget that the house has become an office in the mornings.  She tries to be polite, but teenagers take shit so personal and drama ensues for no fucking reason.  May 1st can't get here fast enough.  Fuck 2020.

Yeah I think that’s a great idea.  I already worked remote, my wife was already a stay at home mom and our kids were already homeschooled, so we kind of already had that in place.  I can only imagine this might be more overwhelming for those who have found their world turned completely upside down.

I've worked out every day for the 3 weeks I've been stuck at home. First time in ages, and it feels pretty good. I live right next to an 800 acre park and preserve that's got some decent MTB trails, so I've been riding a few times a week. Great to get outdoors, and it's practically empty right now. 

When not traveling to customer sites, I've been working from home for years, so that hasn't been much of an adjustment for me. Mrs Rojo just went back to work part time last month after being a stay home mom for 13 years. She was just getting used to getting dressed and going to an office when they went to work from home, which has been weird for her. I had to set her up a little office in our master bedroom so we both had some privacy. Plus side, they've been so busy (title company) that she's basically been working full time hours with no end in sight. 

I seem to be busier now than I was before, and find myself on Zoom calls from 8:00 to 5:00 all day every day, which is a bit much. When traveling, I usually have plenty of time to myself and now that's hard to come by. I started daily meditation on Monday. Something I've always wanted to do, but had no idea how. I'm using the "Waking Up" app from Sam Harris, and like it so far. I've talked with some friends about doing a virtual HH, but haven't pulled it together so far...need to do that soon. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've worked out every day for the 3 weeks I've been stuck at home. First time in ages, and it feels pretty good. I live right next to an 800 acre park and preserve that's got some decent MTB trails, so I've been riding a few times a week. Great to get outdoors, and it's practically empty right now. 

When not traveling to customer sites, I've been working from home for years, so that hasn't been much of an adjustment for me. Mrs Rojo just went back to work part time last month after being a stay home mom for 13 years. She was just getting used to getting dressed and going to an office when they went to work from home, which has been weird for her. I had to set her up a little office in our master bedroom so we both had some privacy. Plus side, they've been so busy (title company) that she's basically been working full time hours with no end in sight. 

I seem to be busier now than I was before, and find myself on Zoom calls from 8:00 to 5:00 all day every day, which is a bit much. When traveling, I usually have plenty of time to myself and now that's hard to come by. I started daily meditation on Monday. Something I've always wanted to do, but had no idea how. I'm using the "Waking Up" app from Sam Harris, and like it so far. I've talked with some friends about doing a virtual HH, but haven't pulled it together so far...need to do that soon. 

Yeah....that is approaching necessity level.  My interactions are either 1) intense workday, without break, or 2) my nuclear family.

I'm getting exercise -- we're taking LONG walks each evening, and it actually feels really good.  And by and large, I've been eating much healthier (today's Popeye's lunch for the boy's birthday notwithstanding).  But the mental health....there's some strain.  We're working a lot, and doing okay so far, but clients are going to start feeling a cash crunch sometime soon, and when they have cashflow issues, they can be slow to pay, so that translates to our cash flow.  We'll see.  If we can begin to relax restrictions so that normal office work can resume in May, I think things will be okay.  Otherwise....we'll see.

So....yeah....need some sort of real mental break.

• Like 2

Brisket basically nailed mine, except the eating healthy part.  Doing consulting for a midstream company now, so that stress has ramped up around 10x in the last few weeks.  I started working from home about 4 weeks ago, as did the wife.  This very well could be the longest stretch I’ve ever spent with the entire family.  It has been absolutely exhausting, and I can feel my mental health fading over the last week or so. I don’t really drink at home, and have been avoiding it even more so recently.  

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....that is approaching necessity level.  My interactions are either 1) intense workday, without break, or 2) my nuclear family.

I'm getting exercise -- we're taking LONG walks each evening, and it actually feels really good.  And by and large, I've been eating much healthier (today's Popeye's lunch for the boy's birthday notwithstanding).  But the mental health....there's some strain.  We're working a lot, and doing okay so far, but clients are going to start feeling a cash crunch sometime soon, and when they have cashflow issues, they can be slow to pay, so that translates to our cash flow.  We'll see.  If we can begin to relax restrictions so that normal office work can resume in May, I think things will be okay.  Otherwise....we'll see.

So....yeah....need some sort of real mental break.

I'm a business litigation lawyer in Austin and right there with you on the work stuff.  We're as busy as we've ever been and I'm very proud of our associates and my partners for making the transition to WFH without losing really any productivity / hours.  My main concern is how long can clients continue to pay.  

Home renovations, gardening, and I already worked from home, so my routine hasn't really changed that much in terms of day-to-day activities, but... the stress is definitely telling. I'm just middle-management for a large online retailer, and I'm having to deal with more and different kinds of complaints than I'm used to, from people who are more unhinged than they usually are.

We had to shut down one of our warehouses recently for decontamination, and that facility was offline for 48 hours while all the employees who had been exposed to the one who tested positive also got tested, and it was amazing to me how customers reacted to that news. Demanding to talk to the CEO to get their deliveries on time, in spite of the supply chain disruption. "That's not my problem, that's YOUR problem!" Like... seriously? WTF. So, yeah, that part of this whole deal is getting me down. There are good people doing amazing things under tremendous stress right now, but there are also selfish pricks doing everything they can to fuck up everyone else's parade, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Meditation and a virtual HH are good ideas.  We tried the latter through my work and it was awkward, but it would be better with a close group of friends/family.

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Meditation and a virtual HH are good ideas.  We tried the latter through my work and it was awkward, but it would be better with a close group of friends/family.

Yeah we’ve been doing virtual HH on Sunday evenings via FaceTime.  And nightly fortnite sessions 

I've always had trouble sitting still, and we've had a full plate with kids' activities, etc for the last several years, so coming to a complete stop has been difficult.  Work has been bananas trying to figure this all out, so I'm spent at the end of the day.  We've been eating good, but I've been drinking too much.

To keep busy, I've knocked out a ton of projects around the house.  Still a bunch more on the horizon.  My son has been obsessed with "Forged In Fire", so we started making a machete.  That's been great spending time with him and letting him take the reigns there.  Every night, we go outside and shoot hoops or hang while the kids ride bikes.  Been playing a ton of darts and 9-ball with my wife.  And lots of card games.  The only thing that I really watched on TV is sports, so I really miss that.  My running has been back up.  Averaging 30 miles/week over the last two weeks which is double what I was doing.

We're at the ranch right now.  It's been incredibly cathartic.  I've been working as much as I would be at home, but it's nice to be able to go for a long walk around the place looking for sheds when I need a break.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Home renovations, gardening, and I already worked from home, so my routine hasn't really changed that much in terms of day-to-day activities, but... the stress is definitely telling. I'm just middle-management for a large online retailer, and I'm having to deal with more and different kinds of complaints than I'm used to, from people who are more unhinged than they usually are.

We had to shut down one of our warehouses recently for decontamination, and that facility was offline for 48 hours while all the employees who had been exposed to the one who tested positive also got tested, and it was amazing to me how customers reacted to that news. Demanding to talk to the CEO to get their deliveries on time, in spite of the supply chain disruption. "That's not my problem, that's YOUR problem!" Like... seriously? WTF. So, yeah, that part of this whole deal is getting me down. There are good people doing amazing things under tremendous stress right now, but there are also selfish pricks doing everything they can to fuck up everyone else's parade, too.

Heh, be glad you aren't my manager :D.  You would hate your job right now.  I got stuck with a monotonous, thankless yet critical task that I hated before everything got serious.  I have to migrate all our company's data from databases where we are running out of room for integer ids to new databases where all the primary and foreign keys are big integers.  It has to be done right the first time by the end of June, or all of our systems stop functioning because we can no longer insert data into our databases.

When my boss talks to me, my attitude has become:   whatever, I am working on this and only this and will allow no other distractions.  If you want to assign me something else, it will not get done and you'll look bad.  You are welcome to fire me and see if you can find someone else qualified that wants to do this shit while the world ends.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I've always had trouble sitting still, and we've had a full plate with kids' activities, etc for the last several years, so coming to a complete stop has been difficult.  Work has been bananas trying to figure this all out, so I'm spent at the end of the day.  We've been eating good, but I've been drinking too much.

To keep busy, I've knocked out a ton of projects around the house.  Still a bunch more on the horizon.  My son has been obsessed with "Forged In Fire", so we started making a machete.  That's been great spending time with him and letting him take the reigns there.  Every night, we go outside and shoot hoops or hang while the kids ride bikes.  Been playing a ton of darts and 9-ball with my wife.  And lots of card games.  The only thing that I really watched on TV is sports, so I really miss that.  My running has been back up.  Averaging 30 miles/week over the last two weeks which is double what I was doing.

We're at the ranch right now.  It's been incredibly cathartic.  I've been working as much as I would be at home, but it's nice to be able to go for a long walk around the place looking for sheds when I need a break.

Sounds like you've got some good activities for you and your kids to keep things positive.

• Like 1

i just retired (early) in october so was used to staying home... but had gotten into an awesome rhythm of lunch dates, gym time, running errands and happy hours. 

now just walking,  walking, walking... not drinking nearly as much actually. it's just me and husband and the dogs. i'm somehow watching LESS tv.

main strain is house construction, which i feel like i've whined about too much already...we have about a third of our house operational, we're living in 2 rooms and a patio. i'm unable to cook more than a basic meal bc kitchen is packed up and stored, we're living/dining/cooking on the patio mostly, LOTS of takeout.

guys are still working on the house...we avoid them and the work areas during the day and then i come thru with gloves and wipes and spray when they leave. i know it's not ideal...but getting shut up in these circumstances through summer...we can't even run the a/c bc of the construction. on the one hand thank god it's been cool so it's bearable...otoh we have a pool and if it was warmer i'd at least have something else to do. 

i also don't have laundry facilities. thank god for nearby friends with laundry in their garage. 

we know the risk, we've discussed it in depth, it's scary and we're very careful and we basically interrogate them every day, how are they, how is their family, anybody not well...husband is higher risk than me for several reasons so i let him make the call. 

i keep telling myself it could be so much worse, and it could. i feel like i've been remarkably upbeat and dealing with it all okay...

sunday morning i watched that video a local artist did of Austin empty streets and i fucking lost it...cried off and on all day. like it just hit me all at once suddenly, what kind of situation we're all in, people dying, businesses dying, cities dying...

fucking sureal

is that hyperbole? fuck if i know and neither do any of y'all... i'm pretty sick of the word unprecedented but it's the only one that fits... none of us know what this is going to look like a month, 3 months, 6 months from now...

i'm a thinker. i spend a lot of time in my own head under normal circumstances and i never get bored. 

but i can't think about this too much, for too long.

i try to get out every day and walk at least 3 miles. we're taking vitamin D and C supplements, and i try to get in the sun whenever i can. took a walk on a nature trail earlier this week and that was really nice i need to do more of that...are Pease and/or Zilker hike and bike trails actually open? wonder if they are a madhouse...i think seeing more of Austin than just my little 10 block area might help. 

oh yeah... so the lack of social interaction is what's really getting me... gonna try a virtual HH tomorrow. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

This isn’t easy, because of the sickness and death associated with it, but my wife and I were discussing our lifetimes the other day and I realized that it has really been one thing after another.  I was born in 1966, the height of the Vietnam war, newly integrated schools, gas lines and stagflation were my childhood.  My immediate adulthood was marked by the 1987 crash, S&L and bank failures, which actually benefited me at the time.  Got married mid-90s and had kids and started saving for retirement just in time for 9/11 and that financial crash.  Back our or feet, then 2008 happened.  In the interim we’ve effectively been at war since 1991.  Between 2012 and 2019 I lost five immediate family members.

There has never been a “normal” in my lifetime.  Maybe that has helped me cope with this, I dunno.  I still think I have it pretty good comparatively speaking.

• Like 4

Work is keeping me extremely busy even at home.

Ive replaced my usual philandering activities with training my dog, and god damn is she smart. Once out of the apartment complex gates i let her loose and she responds to every command I give her.

It is really a joy to recognize the bond building.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This isn’t easy, because of the sickness and death associated with it, but my wife and I were discussing our lifetimes the other day and I realized that it has really been one thing after another.  I was born in 1966, the height of the Vietnam war, newly integrated schools, gas lines and stagflation were my childhood.  My immediate adulthood was marked by the 1987 crash, S&L and bank failures, which actually benefited me at the time.  Got married mid-90s and had kids and started saving for retirement just in time for 9/11 and that financial crash.  Back our or feet, then 2008 happened.  In the interim we’ve effectively been at war since 1991.  Between 2012 and 2019 I lost five immediate family members.

There has never been a “normal” in my lifetime.  Maybe that has helped me cope with this, I dunno.  I still think I have it pretty good comparatively speaking.

Are you, me in a Parallel Universe?

CHIEF

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I feel like my sleep is filled with dreams of the fucking virus.

This.  I have a very active dream life.  It's actually often incredibly productive -- seriously, I get some great creative ideas out of it (often work-related, sadly enough).  Lately -- it's been almost all anxiety and virus-related dreams.  But the other night, I managed to work in a nifty little dream about my wife and another gal, so, you know, there's hope.

• Like 1

Just now, XYZ said:

I feel like my sleep is filled with dreams of the fucking virus.

I've fucked a lot of things in my dreams, but never a virus.  Kinky.

Laughter is good medicine that needs no prescription. My wife and I watched Seth Rogen's "This is the End" last night for the umpteenth time.  Present circumstances made it funnier and had us razzing each other.  She was like, "You know you're going out like that bitch Channing Tatum" and I was like, "You just want a giant big-black cock demon to appear and make all this worthwhile."

Fun end times.

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I've fucked a lot of things in my dreams, but never a virus.  Kinky.

Laughter is good medicine that needs no prescription. My wife and I watched Seth Rogen's "This is the End" last night for the umpteenth time.  Present circumstances made it funnier and had us razzing each other.  She was like, "You know you're going out like that bitch Channing Tatum" and I was like, "You just want a giant big-black cock demon to appear and make all this worthwhile."

Fun end times.

Go on...

• Like 1

My 13 yo was fucking with my 10 yo Ipad so my 10 yo changed the password and now of course has forgotten it. Can't get stupid thing to trigger factory reset. So my mental health getting ready to be impacted if I have to listen to more crying over this fucking device.

• Like 2

Assuming you mean passcode/PIN and not AppleID password...

1.  Power on iPad and connect the iPad to a computer with iTunes

2.  Hold down the home and power buttons for about 20 seconds.  You should see the iPad restart, and after restart, an image showing "Connect to itunes" or some such.  If iPad does not have a home button, you can still do this but it's a bit different.

3.  On the computer with iTunes select Restore.

This will perform a restore and erase the passcode.  You still need your AppleID password.  If you previously backed up your iPad, after restoring, you can load the backup.

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

What are you doing to safeguard your mental health?

Meditation.

Longer dog walks, just to get out of the house and get some exercise and fresh air.  And some weight lifting.

Creative hobbies: I play guitar and piano and write fiction.  I'm trying to force myself to do at least one of those things for at least an hour everyday.

I have had depression and suicidal thoughts off an on (mostly on) for going on 20 years.  Oddly, the last 2 months have been some of the lowest levels of depression in over a decade and my suicidal thoughts are virtually gone.  So from that perspective I’m great.  And I have it really comparatively good: my wife and kids are healthy and relatively happy, my job is relatively safe and has been super supportive during this pandemic, and I have a good group of people to communicate with.

But between the general worry related to what’s happening in the world, and having 2 kids under 4 home 24/7, being a semi-hypochondriac with this virus, and not being able to go anywhere, and the weather making it hard to even get outside...I’m in bad shape.  There are days where I truly wouldn’t argue if the white coats came to my door to haul me off.  I think most of my stress is coming from dealing with my kids.  Shit is taxing.

I think I’ll be fine for another few weeks, but I need the weather to be good enough to go outside everyday, both to get exercise for myself and to have something else to do with the kids.  This forecasted 9 days of rain is a fuckin bummer.

Prior to last month I was in a great routine of exercising, practicing gratitude/meditation, and  getting enough social interaction to be generally content and avoid the lowest lows, but that all went out the window the day we had to pull the kids out of daycare.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Assuming you mean passcode/PIN and not AppleID password...

1.  Power on iPad and connect the iPad to a computer with iTunes

2.  Hold down the home and power buttons for about 20 seconds.  You should see the iPad restart, and after restart, an image showing "Connect to itunes" or some such.  If iPad does not have a home button, you can still do this but it's a bit different.

3.  On the computer with iTunes select Restore.

This will perform a restore and erase the passcode.  You still need your AppleID password.  If you previously backed up your iPad, after restoring, you can load the backup.

Yes passcode. Been trying but can never get itunes to pick ipad up. Is annoying. Thanks for info. 

I’m working from home and my wife has been deemed an essential employee so she still has to go into the lab every day. We have a 3 year old and I can’t keep her engaged while working and on calls so my wife has started working 2am-11, and I’m working 11am-8pm which inevitably turns into 9, 10, 11. The kid sleeps until 6am normally but has been getting up at 5am a lot recently so I’ve been getting shit sleep. My wife even less. My day is wake up too early and do stuff with the 3 year old until my wife gets home then work until dinner and put the kid to bed then spend a little time with my wife until she’s falling asleep then back to work for a few hours until the stress of cutting too far into my sleep pulls me off the computer and then read until I’m tired enough to go to sleep. Rinse repeat. And it’s really starting to wear me thin. I’m realizing I need to get a LOT more regimented with my schedule or I’m not going to make it through another month or more of this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

I'm a business litigation lawyer in Austin and right there with you on the work stuff.  We're as busy as we've ever been and I'm very proud of our associates and my partners for making the transition to WFH without losing really any productivity / hours.  My main concern is how long can clients continue to pay.  

I’m the opposite of you and Brisket. While my litigation practice has been set up to work from home when I’ve needed for the past year or so, and our whole firm, from attorneys to paralegals to staff, has done a heroic job transitioning to WFH, my work has slowed down considerably. Depositions, mediations, hearings, trial settings, all gone for an indefinite time, and may not really ramp up until May or June at the earliest. I have a few things to keep me billing each day, but it’s starting to make me nervous.

Fortunatley I have a decent amount of savings and my expenses are manageable, so it would have to be several more months of this before I hit the panic button.

So until work picks back up and things get closer to normal, I’ve been doing in-home workouts almost every day, I run the Town Lake trail a couple days a week before sunrise, have been trying out some new recipes, and have been fucking quite a lot.

• Like 2

Moved our kids bedtime up an hr. To 8pm, that’s our goal to make it to that time. This is tough with a 4 and an out of control 1 year old. Couldn’t imagine being a single parent

It snowed and shit ice today, so we’d normally go for a drive around town around 2 to break up the day and get a nap in for 1 yr old.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

I have enjoyed people staying the fuck away from me...

Damn.

That's one of my mental health stresses with this crap going on.  I can't go anywhere here in Waco where people will stay the hell away.  I'm usually very laid back, but I swear I want to go assassin on these Waco regards.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Moved our kids bedtime up an hr. To 8pm, that’s our goal to make it to that time. This is tough with a 4 and an out of control 1 year old. Couldn’t imagine being a single parent

It snowed and shit ice today, so we’d normally go for a drive around town around 2 to break up the day and get a nap in for 1 yr old.

Raised by a single mom, so i understood it.  Holy shit i would have gone postal on someone if my wife and I hadn't been able to trade off shifts, so to speak.  and that was during 'normal' times, whatever the fuck that means.

• Like 1

I've been working from home for a couple of weeks now, and every day has been more stressful than the last.  I have to keep doing my full eight hours a day job, and am also expected to sit on top of my subordinates who are working from home, too.  Like, be on the phone or Zoom with them for eight hours per day.  Management further up the line can't decide exactly how they want us to do the work, so there are daily changes that must be effective immediately.  Most of my subordinates have kids at home with them who also need the only internet connection in their house for their school work, have insufficient equipment for the work, or both.  Our employer sure as shit isn't helping with the tools they need.  Nope, doesn't matter, make them do it the way we want.  It is a Mongolian cluster fuck of the highest order, and it is grinding me down, hard.

Beyond that, I worry about my 86 year old dad, brother who had cancer, now underemployed son, and daughter stuck in New York.  I dream about the damned virus, too.

So, yeah, I'm concerned about my mental health. 

• Like 1

Gentlemen, I host a weekly radio segment up here in Dallas every Tuesday called The Mental Health Moment. This past week, we had on a board certified psychiatrist talking about isolating and the mental health issues which arise from it. He gave some pretty good recommendations and ways to survive.

• Like 4