Phil Romano is a dipshit

threesheets

I know, newsflash.  Even if you're anti-political correctness, this is just fucking lame.  "Who doesn't love a happy ending?" = handsy drunk uncle humor.  Plus it's in Trinity Groves, which automatically means it sucks, eh @Landomatic?

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2020/04/02/controversial-chinese-restaurant-opens-in-trinity-groves/

The restaurant’s name, Sum Dang Good Chinese, and questionable verbiage on the menu left some restaurant industry professionals cringing and calling it culturally insensitive and tone deaf.

Phil Romano’s latest concept, which occupies the spot once housed by Chino Chinatown, boasts a cocktail menu that reads “CONFUCIUS SAY ‘BOTTOMS UP,’” while the page of desserts is mostly occupied by large text that says, “WHO DOESN’T LOVE A HAPPY ENDING?” which seems to reference misconceptions of sexual services offered by Asian masseuses and spa workers.

EUYHgasXgAAZW4A?format=jpg&name=large

He's busting your balls as you're the leading hater of Trinity Groves on this site. I think you once referred to it as the Disney World of Dallas dining. 

I thought the menu was fine until I ran across the drinks menu and one of the cocktails was called "We Go Pee Pee In Your Coke".

And put us down as people who enjoyed Chino Chinatown the couple times we ate there. Nothing Earth shattering but good food nonetheless. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

He's busting your balls as you're the leading hater of Trinity Groves on this site. I think you once referred to it as the Disney World of Dallas dining. 

I thought the menu was fine until I ran across the drinks menu and one of the cocktails was called "We Go Pee Pee In Your Coke".

And put us down as people who enjoyed Chino Chinatown the couple times we ate there. Nothing Earth shattering but good food nonetheless. 

Huh...I would highly doubt if I’ve ever given enough fucks about trinity groves to be a leader in anything to do with it.  On this site or any other.

But yeah it’s pretty fucking lame.  So, whatever...

6 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

“Sum Dang Good Chinese”

It’s a shitty joke from an 80’s movie. Or a joke A MAGA hat would laugh at. 

Phil Romano...MAGA hat...oh, you have no idea.  That dude's into some shit that would make Trump blush.  But I won't get into that because, no CR.

On a much more serious note, with regard to this whole offensive menu thing, apparently it's all in the delivery.  Because "sum dang good" and "who doesn't love a happy ending" are, in fact, lame as fuck.  However, this shit was genius, I don't care who you are or where you stand...

But on an actual serious note, didn't some Chinese food place get in trouble for this type of shit in Dallas once already?  Place on Cole and Lemmon?  Happy Joy or some shit?  People behind it probably don't have Phil's level of fuck you money.

16 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Fucking idiotic concept from start to finish. 

Too bad, because this side of town needs good Chinese (even American style Chinese) badly.   Chef from Royal China?  Jeeeze, it would have been an easy, home run. 

10 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Huh...I would highly doubt if I’ve ever given enough fucks about trinity groves to be a leader in anything to do with it.  On this site or any other.

But yeah it’s pretty fucking lame.  So, whatever...

Pretty sure you're the one who coined the "Disney World of restaurant concepts" on The Shag. Don't sweat it -- you weren't wrong. I've been to The Hall a few times for work and it's pretty good. Amberjack's is OK but I'd rather go to a half-dozen other seafood concepts before that. Babb Brothers would've been welcome when I moved to Dallas more than 20 years ago but now it is an affront to BBQ. Off-Site Kitchen isn't what it was but it's still really good -- and at least more accessible than in original space. LUCK is gone (I think).  The idea isn't/wasn't bad. Execution just leaves something to be desired. That part of town was a shit-hole before they developed the area.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...