What's the opinion on Fonda San Miguel?

Asithappens

Yeah, this evening is an absolutely dynamite time to go.  Between the torrential rain and the viral death, it's an absolute can't miss on Zagat's.  

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, this evening is an absolutely dynamite time to go.  Between the torrential rain and the viral death, it's an absolute can't miss on Zagat's.  

I didn't specify tonight, but you do you.

So for those who have enough snap to realize that we can't go out for now, is/was the place worth it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Deej said:

Great atmosphere, but menu is a bit stale after all these years.

This.  Menu really needs an update, and the last couple of times we’ve been there the food was just OK.  Sadly, FSM is nowhere near the leading edge of creative, high-end Mexican cuisine.  Bar is nice for margaritas and appetizers.  In Austin, ATX Cocina, Comedor and El Naranjo have passed FSM for “gourmet” Mexican.

Edited by AustinMT

I don't really care at all about FSM being on the creative leading edge of Mexican cuisine.  I just want delicious food made from quality ingredients.  Honestly, I prefer a place like that stick to their standards, no need to muck it up if you're doing it well.

And for years FSM was definitely that, but the last time I went (maybe a year ago) I'll agree with AustinMT, it was just okay.  

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't really care at all about FSM being on the creative leading edge of Mexican cuisine.  I just want delicious food made from quality ingredients.  Honestly, I prefer a place like that stick to their standards, no need to muck it up if you're doing it well.

And for years FSM was definitely that, but the last time I went (maybe a year ago) I'll agree with AustinMT, it was just okay.  

I have no issue with this (i.e.  good food is good whether it’s leading edge or not), but FSM holds itself out as high-end Mexican and competes in that “space.” Price wise, it is.  Quality-wise, it no longer is

• Like 1

It was very good.  I only went there every few years.  The last time I was there I had a reservation on a Saturday night, we arrived on time, and they told me that there would be a 30 minute wait, and we were welcome to wait in the bar.  I reminded them that they had my phone number and could have called.  We were seated about 5 minutes later.  The 30 minute ruse was a bullshit method of selling more margaritas.

I'd compare the quality and scene favorably with Javier's in Dallas or Armando's in Houston.  All muy bueno.

So is the Dart Bowl Cafe.

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Good comparison, except that Thursday nights at Armando's is an amazing experience.

Javier’s is another place I’ve always liked, but could use an update as well.  It is a crazy scene on weekend nights, however

59 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I have no issue with this (i.e.  good food is good whether it’s leading edge or not), but FSM holds itself out as high-end Mexican and competes in that “space.” Price wise, it is.  Quality-wise, it no longer is

I don't think they compete in that space.  Perhaps your expectation is that they should, but clearly that's not their intention.

They're priced for quality.  If it's not there, then they're over-priced.

55 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't think they compete in that space.  Perhaps your expectation is that they should, but clearly that's not their intention.

They're priced for quality.  If it's not there, then they're over-priced.

Not starting a fight, just a debate.  Have to disagree with you.  No, the menus aren't the same, but they fall into the "space" of gourmet interior and coastal Mexican food occupied by El Naranjo, Suerte (forgot about that one until it was mentioned above), Manuel's, Hugo's, Javier's, ATX, etc.

44 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Not starting a fight, just a debate.  Have to disagree with you.  No, the menus aren't the same, but they fall into the "space" of gourmet interior and coastal Mexican food occupied by El Naranjo, Suerte (forgot about that one until it was mentioned above), Manuel's, Hugo's, Javier's, ATX, etc.

Agree to disagree I suppose.  They've been around longer (in most cases, MUCH longer) than all of those you mention, and have always done their thing, and have always been pricey. 

They're not a trendy or edgy place-- as you yourself point out, they don't even try to be.  So no, I don't see them in the same space, other than the food is interior/coastal.  I don't have that expectation of them, even if you do.  You're certainly free to believe that, but I don't.

For years, for me, their price was justified by their quality.  The last time I went, I was disappointed in that quality.  But as I stated, it's been a long time. 

Anyway, to answer the OP, I liked Fonda San Miguel for a lot of years, and clearly some folks around here still do like it.  It's likely worth a try, though I have no idea what the curbside pickup food is like.  A part of the experience was always the restaurant atmosphere itself.

Edited by utee94

I demand that all of my Mexican restaurants update their menus regularly. If not, I ask to speak to the manager or write a strongly worded letter.
This! And I need to know upfront which space they wish to compete in.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paco said:
7 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:
I demand that all of my Mexican restaurants update their menus regularly. If not, I ask to speak to the manager or write a strongly worded letter.

This! And I need demand to know upfront which space they wish to compete in.

Tweeked for truth.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, Steel Shank said:

(Sigh).  I’m not talking about a place where you go in and get the #2 plate or the Senorita.