Surly Landlords Covid Thread

Zombie

The covid business threads are helpful, but I think a lot of commercial and residential landlords are in a different position than most businesses in that we are often self employed and not eligible, as far as I've seen, for the benefits from the assistance legislation passed so far.

How have you handled the crisis so far? I've deferred my commercial tenants' rent for April and am taking a wait and see approach for May. I haven't spoken with my lender thus far. I'm wondering if it makes sense to see if I can transition into an interest only for a year arrangement.

I own a duplex, live in one side and rent out the other. My tenant is great, usually pays rent a day or two early. But the problem is that she works for a restaurant supply store. She says they had layoffs and went from 20 people down to 6, and she survived. I asked her to let me know if her employment status changes because I would defiantly be willing to re-negotiate her rent to keep her as a tenant.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TPCJ007 said:

I own a duplex, live in one side and rent out the other. My tenant is great, usually pays rent a day or two early. But the problem is that she works for a restaurant supply store. She says they had layoffs and went from 20 people down to 6, and she survived. I asked her to let me know if her employment status changes because I would defiantly be willing to re-negotiate her rent to keep her as a tenant.

There are some casual negotiations you can add to that 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

She’s under 17? 

The terms of the agreement should be clearly stated and tenants living in a residential unit in the state must be at least 18 years of age to occupy the unit.

Not a landlord here, but this is what scares me the most about the economics of COVID and the lockdown.  We have an employment/wage shock the likes of which we have never seen, which will spill over to the landlords and the banks in short order. Then we have a financial crisis too. Fun times.  The curve better start bending soon.