RIP Bill Withers

mdmost

Damn. He was fucking brilliant. So many great songs. Lovely Day, Ain't No Sunshine, Lean On Me. Use Me is probably me favorite. Such a cool rhythm. I wish I had the skill to tap it out with my hands but it always escapes me. Great song to dance to. 

RIP Bill. Such a loss. 

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

Use Me is the fucking shit. Guy was a legend. RIP Bill.

He joined the Navy at 17 and spent nine years in the service as an aircraft mechanic installing toilets. After his discharge, he moved to Los Angeles, worked at an aircraft parts factory, bought a guitar at a pawn shop and recorded demos of his tunes in hopes of landing a recording contract.

In 1971, signed to Sussex Records, he put out his first album, “Just As I Am,” with the legendary Booker T. Jones at the helm. It had the hits “Grandma’s Hands” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” which was inspired by the Jack Lemmon film “Days of Wine and Roses.” He was photographed on the cover, smiling and holding his lunch pail.

that's pretty cool.  over 30 years old and just decided to wing it and try a career in music.  became one of the greats.  RIP

Man 2020 is really pissing me off.  Lovely Day and Lean on Me are the shit.  Interesting trivia but Withers note that he holds at the end of Lovely Day is over 18 seconds and used to be the record for longest note in a BIllboard 100 song.  I think it’s number 2 now. Just a fantastic talent as a singer and songwriter.  

I just want to point out that "Ain't No Sunshine" may be the greatest song ever written. "And this house just ain't no home anytime she goes away" is the greatest line in music ever and "I know, I know..." is the greatest chorus in music ever.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou