Movie theaters and the future of streaming

Chet Steadman

I didn’t really know which streaming thread this belonged therefore I figured a new topic may be best.  WRT Covid and the shutdown, has there been any talk yet among the major movie studios about shifting some of their blockbuster spring and summer releases on to streaming platforms?  The latest streaming numbers show demand for movies is at the highest it’s ever been, yet there is no current way to meet that need outside of streaming. 

Additionally, if things do ease up in the coming months the movie business may very well continue its downward trend anyway.  I can’t foresee a scenario where Americans -who will have been locked up inside their homes for months- will be running outside just to then go sit inside again at a theater for three hours. 

I don’t know the economics of the business but I think most would happily pay $15-20 to watch a movie like ‘A Quiet Place 2’ at home right.  Seems like that’s easily more than they’d garner at the theaters and your potential customer base is arguably higher than it will ever be again.

Why not bite the bullet and capitalize?

I don't know much, but I've heard that the theatres take it in the shorts on movie rights and their profits come from concessions.  If so, obviously the theatres are dead, but the studios would have a hard time capitalizing on streaming because I doubt at $20 a household is going to make them their nut either.

saw today that in the last week of march theaters took in $5k nationwide.  compared to $200MM in the last week of march, 2019.  that can't be good for the bottom line.  

also saw that top gun 2 release got pushed to christmas.  not a bad idea, that needs to be seen on the big screen.

Yes, Kirk Cameron hosted the double-feature and spoke in between films about salon perms versus Ogilvie.  I

I still think you can do an Alamo model with interesting programming, entertaining intros while you sit and order, premium menus, and booze up the ying-yang.  But just going to a shopping mall theater because it has reclining seats to see some shitty marvel movie, I don't think that lasts beyond a couple more years.  But it's like car dealerships and branch banks...some people just don't know they're dead yet. 

Well yeah, the big screen and big sound and free-flowing drinks and good food?...what's not to love?  Even the price-tag is digestible when all is said and done.

But last time I checked, there's people at the movies.  I don't need a laugh or gasp track to my life.  I know what's funny and what's scary, the audience is just an annoyance.  

They're dying and they need to know it.  They were obsolete before this virus, only good thing about Covid-19 is we're save so much damn real estate blight.  Fuck the developers.

Yes it is being considered by the big houses. 

Disney announced Artemis Fowl will go straight to streaming - https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-04-03/disneys-artemis-fowl-will-skip-theaters-and-go-straight-to-streaming-on-disney

The new Trolls movie is also going straight to streaming for $19.99 - https://www.distractify.com/p/trolls-world-tour-streaming

I believe other movies will follow soon as more studios test out this idea. 

• Like 1

Whenever this ends, the theaters that are able to be back up and running will be packed.  The ones that aren't will be bought by other investors.  

This is all just a very expensive speeding ticket for America.  We'll go the speed limit for a few days and then go back to our old ways.  Movie theaters will be back along with everything else in society.