any of you have a sure-fire fried chicken recipe?

52-80

I've tried tons, from James beard classic technique, to all of serious eats' experimentation, and all the celeb chef videos on YouTube, etc.

Never been able to fry chicken to my satisfaction.

I'm not after emulating any particular style, as long as its got crave-inducing skin.

How do YOU do it?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

knowing thomas keller recipes, this thing isnt going to take 18 hours just to prep, is it?

If it’s what he serves at Addendum (the chicken and bbq shack behind Ad Hoc), yes, because he brines it in a buttermilk concoction overnight.  

4 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

If it’s what he serves at Addendum (the chicken and bbq shack behind Ad Hoc), yes, because he brines it in a buttermilk concoction overnight.  

the complication of prepping hcicken reminds me of this video.  the comments are even funnier than the video itself

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

knowing thomas keller recipes, this thing isnt going to take 18 hours just to prep, is it?

Yeah, it's kind of a PITA but the overnight brine is in a water/salt/sugar solution with all kinds of lemon, rosemary, bay leaves and peppercorns and who knows what else. Once you get to battering and cooking, it's pretty easy. He says to get smaller birds -- 3-4 pounds tops. I think next time I'll buy pieces and brine and cook like he says. I'm not good at butchering whole chickens.

https://www.dartagnan.com/buttermilk-fried-chicken-recipe.html

15 hours ago, futureman said:

why do people complicate shit?  brine in salt, then buttermilk and flour and deep-fry.  if you're feeling super-crazy maybe add a little cornstarch to the flour.  salt and pepper to taste when it cools off.  the rest is just trumped up bullshit.

simplicity works but I assure you if you try Kellers recipe it will be your go to going forward. The lemon and herbs add a great flavor to the meat

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Smax said:

simplicity works but I assure you if you try Kellers recipe it will be your go to going forward. The lemon and herbs add a great flavor to the meat

I will say that when we go to Napa we always stop by Addendum for the chicken.  Yes, it’s that good...

flour the chicken and let it rest an hour on a rack before frying in hot 375 grease. Lard is best.

season the flour.

for extra crispy, dunk the rested floured chicken in eggwash and flour again. Let it rest 20 more minutes before frying. dont try and fry everything at once. 

over night brines and buttermilk are bullshit unless you want sodium filled meat.

48 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

can I use dutch oven?

yes

48 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Depth of oil?

don't go more than 2/3 of the way up the side.  2" deep is sufficient for a lot of stuff, one of the giant non-organic sub $2 chicken breasts might need 4".

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, 52-80 said:

the complication of prepping hcicken reminds me of this video.  the comments are even funnier than the video itself

This is fucking gold. But yeah, most of the joke is in the comments. 

10 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Fried chicken is like donuts. Why waste your fucking time making it and making a mess in your kitchen when you can easily get it cheap from Popeyes or a donut store?

Couldn't you use that logic on just about anything you cook?  Bread, hamburgers, ice cream, etc.  Cooking can be fun, and it will likely taste better than the cheap shit at a fast food place.  There's a reason it's cheap.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

My go to lately for fast food chicken is Golden Chick. Cheap, delicious, good fries and rolls. 

Cheap? The one by me advertises 10 piece legs and thighs for $14.99.

Their catfish is legit, though.

Edited by Deej

11 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Couldn't you use that logic on just about anything you cook?  Bread, hamburgers, ice cream, etc.  Cooking can be fun, and it will likely taste better than the cheap shit at a fast food place.  There's a reason it's cheap.

Bread, absolutely - I’ve tinkered with baking and not only is it a royal pain in the ass, 99% of us don’t have the appropriate ovens to cook a piece of bread better than a legit bakery. What’s the most expensive piece of bread you’ve even bought? ~$5. Of course I’ll go the bakery route for high quality shit. 

same goes for ice cream. While you can absolutely get high quality ingredients and mix ins to your heart’s content, most non-commercial ice cream makers will never churn the cream good and fast enough to prevent some ice crystal formation. 

burgers I disagree with. While you can’t find awesome buns at your local H-E-B, you can get much higher quality beef, bacon and cheese. 

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

My go to lately for fast food chicken is Golden Chick. Cheap, delicious, good fries and rolls. 

I have always wondered why Golden Chick, Chicken Express and Bush’s have basically the same products and packaging (though Bush’s has crinkle fries).  They are all so similar but, subjectively, my favorite of those 3  is Chicken Express (which has spicy tenders, by the way)

Edited by AustinMT

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

50/50 buttermilk and pickle juice for the brine.

Season flour with:

• Salt
  • Smoked Paprika
  • Black Pepper
  • Cayenne
  • Thyme

Fry in lard.

Have a defibrillator nearby

Sounds great, though, but does the pickle juice affect the flavor?

22 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Fried chicken is like donuts. Why waste your fucking time making it and making a mess in your kitchen when you can easily get it cheap from Popeyes or a donut store?

Coming to post this.  I get a wild hair and make fried chicken once every couple of years and I always hate dealing with the oil and the mess.  We just don't deep fry much anymore.  Find a Chester's Fried Chicken at a gas station somewhere.  I've had some of the best fried chicken at those places.  I recall one at Studemont/Montrose near Washington Ave at a Chevron station.

7 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

https://kentrollins.com/classic-fried-chicken/

His CFS recipe is badass too

If it's as authentic as his "barbecued" brisket, gonna be a hard pass.

For fried chicken, strongly suggest salt, paprika, cayenne, and garlic as your primary seasonings.

And interesting suggestion, @CooterBrown. Will give pickle juice brining a try next time I fry up some yardbird.

On 4/5/2020 at 11:54 AM, DonnyKerabatsos said:

flour the chicken and let it rest an hour on a rack before frying in hot 375 grease. Lard is best.

season the flour.

for extra crispy, dunk the rested floured chicken in eggwash and flour again. Let it rest 20 more minutes before frying. dont try and fry everything at once. 

over night brines and buttermilk are bullshit unless you want sodium filled meat.

This works for me.

10 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The recipe died with my great grandmother, grandmother, and mother.

None of us have been able to match it since even though we spent countless hours learning.   There was some small "secret" we weren't let in on.

DAMMIT

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big ups to everyone who recommended the keller recipe.  It's not the the super crackly fast food style skin, but it was damn good, best I've fried at home for sure.

Some takeaways for me:

* chicken puffed up bigly.  try to use really small pieces at the start

* really do let the chicken go to room temp before frying.  i had a hell of a time managing the heat manually frying, and trying not to burn the coating while cooking interior

* we found it slightly too salty.  i would reduce the salt slightly, and add more pepper -- possibly mix of white pepper, black pepper, and perhaps a bit of szechuan to give it extra ting

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...