Give me your top 10 NBA players of all time

Goo Punch

36 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Sure. Other than losing their second best player, they were the same team. The regression was considerable; it was more pronounced than when MJ left and it was Scottie-Horace. When your surroundings are bare enough, nobody wins. MJ can spin tales about his baseball body all he wants, but the reason they lost is not because he wasn't still the best player in the world (he was) or out of shape. It was because that team wasn't good enough.

I don't know wtf yall are talking about with the Blazers. Sheed was their best player, but also a historical mental midget who couldn't be relied on. Scottie was 2nd-team all-defense and ran the offense. Maybe 4th best? You're misremembering or arguing in bad faith

Sorry Mrs. Pippen. Your son was a good player too. 

Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes each put Kobe over Duncan on Simmons' pod today. I think Barnes maybe even put Kobe as his personal #2. I disagree with them on Kobe/Duncan, and they seemed to maybe put more emphasis on the Mamba Mentality sort of stuff than I would, but figure it's interesting to hear two of their peers weigh in on the matter (they're both also quite complimentary of TD).

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Simmons, but I thought this was a pretty good/interesting convo throughout and would recommend as a listen for ppl who don't already listen to his pod.

37 minutes ago, CBT said:

Most players take Kobe over Duncan. Most players are horrible at judging talent/greatness too. Duncan should be over Kobe, and it's not even that close. 

yeah this. most players don't have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff. in the last few days i've heard  current players refer to Kobe as "The GOAT"; saw another one who had him no.2 all time; saw another one who said, "he's the greatest Laker of all time so he has to be the GOAT!". 

• Like 2

Kobe seems to have the largest variance among the players who make most people’s list.

I have a hard time with guys like Kareem and Dr. J, because while I saw them play, it was at the end of their careers and they were playing with something less than their A game.  I think it influences my opinion of them in a negative way.

• Like 1

So Kareem faded into the alltime leading scoring spot in the NBA? 6 rings, one with Milwaukee and 5 with LA.  6 MVPs 19X All Star and 10X All-NBA 1st team; 4X Blocks leader, 2X scoring leader, 1X rebounding leader.  hell we all get old...

Dr J was Jordan before Jordan with regard to playing above the rim and shot creation. he also had a considerable portion of his career in the ABA, while being 3X MVP in that league. He won 2 rings in the ABA and one with Philly in the NBA.  he was an 11X allstar and 5X all NBA 1st team.  CSB- he was my favorite player as a kid in the 70's and early 80's.  

I never saw Jim Brown play football, but the stats and the testimonials say he was a badass motherfucker, generally regarded as the best RB ever.  At a certain point, you just gotta believe people with regard to Kareem and the Doctor.

• Like 1

Kareem also got to ride Magic’s coattails at the end of his career (which was awesome for me personally because I loved watching great post play). He’s so underrated it’s criminal, and yet Cap is still in everyone’s top 5. 

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

So Kareem faded into the alltime leading scoring spot in the NBA? 6 rings, one with Milwaukee and 5 with LA.  6 MVPs 19X All Star and 10X All-NBA 1st team; 4X Blocks leader, 2X scoring leader, 1X rebounding leader.  hell we all get old...

Dr J was Jordan before Jordan with regard to playing above the rim and shot creation. he also had a considerable portion of his career in the ABA, while being 3X MVP in that league. He won 2 rings in the ABA and one with Philly in the NBA.  he was an 11X allstar and 5X all NBA 1st team.  CSB- he was my favorite player as a kid in the 70's and early 80's.  

I never saw Jim Brown play football, but the stats and the testimonials say he was a badass motherfucker, generally regarded as the best RB ever.  At a certain point, you just gotta believe people with regard to Kareem and the Doctor.

My point was this:  I never saw Wilt, Russell, Oscar, West, etc. play, so with them I believe the narrative.  I saw Doc and Kareem at the end of their career, and it impairs my ability to just accept the narrative of their career.  And it’s not like they were scrubs.  I saw Kareem win multiple titles with the Lakers, and he was a big part of it, but I never felt like I was watching a top-5 all-time guy.  That was Magic.  I got Dr. J when he wasn’t really doing the above the rim thing anymore, but I did get to watch him sink a half-court shot at the buzzer to beat the Mavs during his last year.  If I had never seen them play, I would just group them in with the other old guys, and accept whatever the accepted hierarchy was.  But I did see them play, and am acknowledging the fact that it probably taints my view of them.

• Like 2

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, but since I think duncan is a top 10 player, I’ll put it here:

he starts talking about it at the 1:10 mark, but it is still a pretty good interview

I still think Garnett is a clown (and I’m pretty sure he was one of the few people Duncan legitimately didn’t like) but this was still kinda cool to here him talk about. No idea how old it is.
Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 3

On 4/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, Kermit said:

Oh, the excuses that Jordan-stans offer up for that loss. There are many who refuse to acknowledge he even played that season. 

JFC Kermit.  Stick to bashing Malone.  The excuse that he started hooping a few months before that game?  Couple years off seems like a decent excuse?

Why does it demand an explanation?  Do we hold the Laker losses to the Celtics against Magic?  Is the 83 Sixers Championship held against Bird?

Good grief.  There was actually some fucking competition in the league back then.

Edited by Iceman

Dream vs Shaq is an easy call. If the game is tied in the last few seconds and you coach Shaq's team, you're going to send the double team when Hakeem gets the ball. If you're coaching the other team, you don't have to send the double team to help Dream--you can hope for a steal, block, altered shot, or something from Dream, who is clutch. And then there are free throws and the basketball elegance of Dream over the brute force of Shaq.

To me, Duncan is the toughest Top 10 call. Lots of accolades and accomplishments, and he did make clutch shots--but he missed some clutch free throws. Also, he often took the easier big man defensive assignment, particularly in the playoffs. You almost never saw him guard the best post player all game. Nit-picky, yeah, but we are talking Top 10. And how do you factor the cultural significance of Dr. J?  Anyway, here are my Top 10:

1. Jordan
  2. Magic
  3. LBJ
  4. Bird
  5. Olajuwon
  6. Kareem
  7. Russell
  8. Wilt
  9. Shaq
  10. Duncan

Dr. J, Oscar, and Kobe are next. I don't think Steph is Top 10 material and KD will have to do a few more things before he works his way up to consideration.

Speaking of Hakeem, the first 3:40 of this video are something else. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

For @ztejas

KD, KD, KD, KD, KD, KD, MJ, KD, KD, KD. 

Lol. I'm not one of those clowns that says shit like Kobe is the GOAT or AI is top 10 ever or some nonsense. 

I recognize KD's place in the hierarchy. I think he's right around 15 give or take a few spots. But he's playing the best basketball of his career right now - and could certainly finish in the top 10 with some more hardware.

Gold medal tonight would be a nice little bump. 

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol. I'm not one of those clowns that says shit like Kobe is the GOAT or AI is top 10 ever or some nonsense. 

I recognize KD's place in the hierarchy. I think he's right around 15 give or take a few spots. But he's playing the best basketball of his career right now - and could certainly finish in the top 10 with some more hardware.

Gold medal tonight would be a nice little bump. 

I actually have him ahead of Larry Bird personally. Or will very shortly. 

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm close to putting him above Kobe. 

Bird... nah. Want to see a little more from him. At least another title. 

Bird had a 10 year career (more or less). He played on a super team just like KD. Give KD another title like I assume he will get this year and he’s good. 
Honestly KD probably missed out on 2.5 rings due to injuries. His career has been very unlucky for as great as he is. 

They were a super team because of Bird.  Larry didn't join the greatest regular season (and one game away from being the greatest) team of all time.  Larry didn't have a chance to eliminate the team he joined the year before but couldn't come through.  How do you think KD would handle an "Isiah Thomas" like controversy compared to how Larry handled it?  

• 10 months later...

I think Kobe and Shaq are the biggest two you can debate now. He isn't to Bird or Duncan yet. Edges Hakeem and KD imo.

I'll be pretty surprised if they get back - feels like may be the one he'll go out on (not retire - but last Finals trip). Some stuff fell right and at some point it's hard to have the same drive. Mainly I wonder if they can stay healthy like this again. 

But shit - he's at least in striking distance of top 5-8 level if they could somehow do it again. Which is insane. 

On 8/6/2021 at 9:13 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Bird had a 10 year career (more or less). He played on a super team just like KD. Give KD another title like I assume he will get this year and he’s good. 
Honestly KD probably missed out on 2.5 rings due to injuries. His career has been very unlucky for as great as he is. 

Are you related to Dennis Rodman?

14 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Are you related to Dennis Rodman?

Ha. No. I’m not hating on Larry Bird. I value longevity of peak as much as absolute Apex and Bird just had a short career peak wise due to injuries. That 86 team had what- 6 HOFers on it?  The 80’s Celtics and Lakers were the original super teams that guys like KD get slandered for. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha. No. I’m not hating on Larry Bird. I value longevity of peak as much as absolute Apex and Bird just had a short career peak wise due to injuries. That 86 team had what- 6 HOFers on it?  The 80’s Celtics and Lakers were the original super teams that guys like KD get slandered for. 

A few points:

The league was much different in the 80s. Almost every good team had multiple HOFers. Neither Bird nor Magic left their team in search of a championship they could call their own. The 86 team was Bird’s 3rd championship with the Celtics. In the 1981 Finals, Bird (in his 2nd year) averaged 15, 15, 7, and 2; and should have been the MVP (over Maxwell). 

KD is a great player; however, he’s no Bird. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

A few points:

The league was much different in the 80s. Almost every good team had multiple HOFers. Neither Bird nor Magic left their team in search of a championship they could call their own. The 86 team was Bird’s 3rd championship with the Celtics. In the 1981 Finals, Bird (in his 2nd year) averaged 15, 15, 7, and 2; and should have been the MVP (over Maxwell). 

KD is a great player; however, he’s no Bird. 

hell, the '83 Sixers (as well as a couple other 80's Philly teams) were totally stacked and simply had the misfortune of having to compete with Boston and LAL during the decade. those Sixer teams were good enough to win 2-3 titles minimum. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Kobe. My team would have other big men who were more athletic and could make free throws. 

i'm more concerned with your top 10 all time players than i am with your ideal team. Cap, Russell, Shaq, Hakeem, Wilt- there's no shortage of all time great big men, so no doubt you can live without Shaq on your team. but do you rank him ahead of Kobe all time?

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Please explain Curry over Duncan. 

@shadow_operative I think I put Shaq over Kobe. They're close for me.

i think i feel the same way. it's super close, so i feel like i'm splitting hairs when choosing between the two. i think that it comes down to the fact that kobe was a)really a volume shooter, and but more importantly b)a guy who alienated a ton of his teammates. Shaq was able to blend in and improve the morale everywhere he went, and that matters to me. 

Edited by shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i think i feel the same way. it's super close, so i feel like i'm splitting hairs when choosing between the two. i think that it comes down to the fact that kobe was a)really a volume shooter, and but more importantly b)a guy who alienated a ton of his teammates. Shaq was able to blend in and improve the morale everywhere he went, and that matters to me. 

Yeah but I don't think Shaq was a great intangibles guy. I mean I'm sure he was less of a dick and easier to play with. 

For me - Shaq was better at his peak and played at that level or near it for quite a few seasons. Kobe was never as good as Shaq was from 00-02. Shaq was more important to those titles, although Kobe's 09/10 seasons obviously outweigh Shaq's Miami ring. 

I think Curry is right there with them now - and I have Hakeem and KD behind that trio. 

I don't love trying to rank the real old school guys against the more modern players. Like I'm not sure how I'm supposed to rank Jerry West against Durant. So if Kareem is the oldest guy I throw in there mine is something like:

MJ

LeBron

Kareem

Magic / Duncan / Bird

Shaq / Kobe / Curry

Hakeem / KD 

(I think Giannis is in this weird floating category right now)

and then it's like Moses / Dr. J / IT / KG / Dirk / K. Malone / Barkley / Pippen / Wade / CP / Kawhi

Which gets really messy depending on what you're giving credit for. I feel like I usually go maybe 60% career/40% straight up how good were they at basketball with some consideration for what teams they were on. 

I think Curry, KD and Giannis could wind up in any order for me depending on what happens the next few years. Jokic is maybe already in that miscellaneous tier. 

Hakeem is in my top 10 for sure. offensively he's just totally unstoppable- like a precursor to the modern center, but better. a world class athlete in multiple sports, his footwork and timing are the greatest ever. he's then also the all time leader in blocks, 3rd in BPG, and he could go out on the perimeter and defend opposing guards. If he wasn't MJ's contemporary he would have won, i dunno, 5 or 6 titles. i mean the guy led this team to a title:

5050E768-BC0A-4913-93CE-4B9ED1443D82.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative

I’m going to cheat and omit Russell, West, Chamberlain, and Oscar (so basically 70s-2022).

MJ, Kareem, LeBron, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Kobe, Steph, Hakeem, Shaq, Durant. 

Depending on the development of Pool, Kuminga, and Wiseman and how long guys like Dray and Klay can stay competitive, Steph might not be done. 

old man here...grew up watching tape delayed NBA finals, and vividly remember Kareem having to sit out a finals game-injury and Magic completely took over the game...

In no particular order:

Jerry West

Magic Johnson

Michael Jordan

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Shaquille O'Neal

Larry Bird

Hakeem 

S. Curry

Lebron 

Bill Russell*

*Only player in memory to win huge number of championships and then coach essentially the same team to championship shortly after. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

informal poll: you can only put one in your top 10 all time- who do you take- Shaq or Kobe?

Do I have to put either in my top 10?  Because neither are.  They are like 11 and 12. 
and if you have Hakeem in front of Shaq neither should be in your top 10 either. 

MJ

LeBron

Russell

Kareem

Wilt 

Magic

Duncan 

Curry

Durant 

Bird 

If and when KD wins another title I’m hopping him over Curry. I was there when they were on the same team and KD was better and even Kerr, their coach, said as much. 

Hakeem 

Shaq or Kobe (12 or 13). Apologies if I’m forgetting someone obvious. Doing this while taking a shit having just woke up.