Top 10 white basketball players of all time.

Uncle Boobs

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you're right. to say that he will easily exceeed Hakeem is too much. still, if i may rephrase my original statement, he projects to be the best European born player ever. the kid is truly an all-time talent for his age. he's amazing. 

Oh for sure. I'm just catching you on a technicality. Luka is fucking amazing - and through 2 years is easily the best Euro ever - if not the best foreign player.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're such a waste of space shithead troll. I don't get why people like you think it's funny to take advantage of some societal downtime to go parade your dick around the entire board. Take it easier on the booze or ratchet down the peanut gallery.

What the fuck are you going on about?You attacked me first, fuckface.  For no reason.  Clearly you have a personal problem with me. And it has nothing at all to do with these bball threads. 

And I agree that this isn't the venue for you to air your bitch ass grievances. So pick a venue.  

Edited by FondrenRoad

How is luka in there OP? He has played maybe a 100ish games. Yes he is fun to watch but he could blow out a knee or get in a car crash tomorrow. Not top 10 of all time, and my kid has his jersey and a big ass poster of him on the wall so not putting down his awesome game.
You may be right. Let me slide Sura to #8. Penders Jr. to #9. And I my new #10 is between Cherokee Parks and Wild Bill Wennington.

I haven't seen Peja Stojaković getting any mention.  He was really good in his prime.  Averaged 21.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.2 spg shooting 47% FG, 89% FT, 41% 3PT over a 5-year stretch, with 3 all-star appearances. He came very close to being in the 50, 40, 90 club.  In today's NBA, he could have averaged close to 30 ppg with his ability to shoot the 3-ball.

Drazen Petrovic was starting to really get going at the time of his death.  He was averaging 22.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.5 apg shooting 55% eFG% in his final year in the NBA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Boobs said:
11 hours ago, markstanco said:
How is luka in there OP? He has played maybe a 100ish games. Yes he is fun to watch but he could blow out a knee or get in a car crash tomorrow. Not top 10 of all time, and my kid has his jersey and a big ass poster of him on the wall so not putting down his awesome game.

You may be right. Let me slide Sura to #8. Penders Jr. to #9. And I my new #10 is between Cherokee Parks and Wild Bill Wennington.

3ce48g.jpg

• Like 1

1.  Billy "The Whopper" Paultz

Look at this fucking stone-cold killer:

2.  Paul Mokeski

3.  Shawn Bradley

4.  Chuck Nevitt

5.  Uwe Blab

5. (tie) Bill Wennington

7.  Cherokee Parks

8.  Jon Koncak

9.  Tyler Hansbrough

10.  Bill Cartwright

Honorable mention: Dave Corzine, Scott Wedman, Kevin Grevey, Bill Garnett, Steve Mix, George Muller, Danny Vranes, Jim Farmer, Randy Breuer, Rik Smits, Joe Wolf, Gheorghe Muresan, Swen Nater, Mark Eaton, Jim Peterson, Richard Anderson, Mike Newlin, Brian Winters, the van Arsdale twins, Jerry Sichting, Bill Hanzlik, Jay Burson, Kevin Pittsnogle, Mitch Kupchak, Mike O'Koren, John Pinone, Geert Hammink, Joe Kleine, Danny Ferry and finally, Steve Scheffler, who was such a fucking badass that I named my first dog after him.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 3

On 4/5/2020 at 10:00 PM, Hate said:

Well, if Manu is white that changes everything.

Bird

Manu

Mchale

Walton

Dirk

Stockton

Nash

Cowens

Maravich

Sabonis

Not really.  Pettit and Havlicek were two of the greatest players who ever played the game.  Pettit played a young Bill Russell to a standstill in the playoffs in the late Fifties.  He made the All-Star team (in an undiluted league) in each of the 11 seasons he played.  He averaged 26 and 16 for his career.  He was a beast.  Havlicek was a 13-time All-Star and far more important to Boston than Cowens.  One of the great all-around athletes to ever play the game.  Both Pettit and Havlicek were far greater than Ginobili, Sabonis, Cowens, or even Walton or Maravich for that matter.   

24 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

The saddest part of this thread is realizing that there are no Brandy Perryman highlights on Youtube.

Deer gawd, Brandy let himself go:

1961053_10153970497275311_1803804937_o.j

And we'll always have this:

D7fbM4IW4AAdQ40.jpg

That's actually an animated gif -- he's just so slow you can't detect movement.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

2.  Paul Mokeski

3.  Shawn Bradley

4.  Chuck Nevitt

5.  Uwe Blab

5. (tie) Bill Wennington

7.  Cherokee Parks

8.  Jon Koncak

9.  Tyler Hansbrough

10.  Bill Cartwright

Honorable mention: Dave Corzine, Scott Wedman, Kevin Grevey, Bill Garnett, Steve Mix, George Muller, Danny Vranes, Jim Farmer, Randy Breuer, Rik Smits, Joe Wolf, Gheorghe Muresan, Swen Nater, Mark Eaton, Jim Peterson, Richard Anderson, Mike Newlin, Brian Winters, the van Arsdale twins, Jerry Sichting, Bill Hanzlik, Jay Burson, Kevin Pittsnogle, Mitch Kupchak, Mike O'Koren, John Pinone, Geert Hammink, Joe Kleine, Danny Ferry and finally, Steve Scheffler, who was such a fucking badass that I named my first dog after him.

I don't see Greg Ostertag, Ron Baker, or Luke Axtell on the HM list. .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

2.  Paul Mokeski

3.  Shawn Bradley

4.  Chuck Nevitt

5.  Uwe Blab

5. (tie) Bill Wennington

7.  Cherokee Parks

8.  Jon Koncak

9.  Tyler Hansbrough

10.  Bill Cartwright

Mike Bratz and Mark Olberding for the HM list.  Spurs love.

SWCFROG

• Like 1

Here are some stats on the Gasol brothers.  A lot of people have forgotten how good Pau was in his prime due to the longevity of his career.  He was a VERY skilled big man. 

People like to talk a lot about Dirk's greatness, but at his peak Pau was right there with him. He was a better rebounder, defender and ball distributor. He did the little things that produce wins.  Back in 2009 before the Mav's title, fresh off back-to-back Lakers titles, I'm not sure I would have taken Dirk over Pau.

Pau Gasol:  2x NBA Champ (2nd best player), 6x All-star, 4x All-NBA, Rookie of the Year 

Best 5-yr avg of 19.4 pts, 9.6 reb, 3.7 ast, 1.6 blk, 54% FG

Averaged 19 pts, 11 reb, 2 blk, 56% FG during the playoffs in the two Lakers title runs. 

Solid all-time career marks:  37th in Points, 28th Rebounds, 21st in Blocks, 27th in Win Shares, 93.3% HoF probability.  One of 4 players with 20K pts, 10K reb, 3.5K ast, 1.5K blk.

Solid international experience:  2008 and 2012 Olympic Silver Medals, 2004 Olympics Scoring Leader, 2014 FIBA World Cup All-Tourney Team, 2015 EuroBasket MVP and more

Marc Gasol:  1x NBA Champ (role player), 3x All-Star, 2X All-NBA, 1X DPoY

Best 5-yr avg of 17.2 pts, 7.3 reb, 4.0 ast, 1.4 blk, 46% FG

2nd player to win FIBA World Cup gold and NBA Title in the same year

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Not really.  Pettit and Havlicek were two of the greatest players who ever played the game.  Pettit played a young Bill Russell to a standstill in the playoffs in the late Fifties.  He made the All-Star team (in an undiluted league) in each of the 11 seasons he played.  He averaged 26 and 16 for his career.  He was a beast.  Havlicek was a 13-time All-Star and far more important to Boston than Cowens.  One of the great all-around athletes to ever play the game.  Both Pettit and Havlicek were far greater than Ginobili, Sabonis, Cowens, or even Walton or Maravich for that matter.   

I beleive Havlicek won at least one title without Russell, as well. (yep he won two - 74 and 76)

9 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Damn brandy!!!! Mix in a salad or two bro!!!!!

I bet he's still got that soft buttery jumper though.

He does. I did a couple of his shooting camps at WAYA when I was a kid and one of my dad's first comments when dropping me off was "Man he's really let himself go".

But at one point he lined up on the baseline from about 18 feet and drilled like 25 straight jumpers. Those guys just never lose it. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

.  Back in 2009 before the Mav's title, fresh off back-to-back Lakers titles, I'm not sure I would have taken Dirk over Pau.

I'm one of the biggest Dirk bashers on here for being such a one-sided player in the pantheon of all-time greats.  That post is just fucking insane, however.

Dirk carried a franchise.  Carried it like a motherfucker.  Gasol was a great role player.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I'm one of the biggest Dirk bashers on here for being such a one-sided player in the pantheon of all-time greats.  That post is just fucking insane, however.

Dirk carried a franchise.  Carried it like a motherfucker.  Gasol was a great role player.

Gasol was more than a role player. He was a 6 time all star and 4 time all-NBA player - and from 2009-2011 with the Lakers played at a near MVP level. His peak was better than Marc's by a good margin.

But on your larger point, yes, Dirk compares favorably to guys like Durant or KG as a leader, franchise cornerstone type player. Pau was never that. 

OK, perhaps I overdid it with saying I might take Pau over Dirk. 

Still, in his early career with Memphis, Pau had them competitive for most of those years despite absolute trash teammates.  In 03/04 they were only 2 games back of Dallas despite a terrible roster while Dallas had Dirk, Nash, Finley and others.

From 2008-2011, Pau had 39.4 win shares compared to Dirk with 34.3 win shares.  That is 4th in the NBA for that 3-year stretch behind: 1) LeBron, 2) Dwight Howard, 3) Dwyane Wade.  That is also higher than Kobe and Tim Duncan FWIW.

Also from 2008-2011, Pau averaged 22.8 PER (#9 in NBA over that time). Dirk averaging 23.1 (#8 in the NBA).

Again, I'm not saying that Pau had a better career than Dirk. But he was far better than a role player during those years. He was definitely a top-10 player in the NBA and borderline top-5. 

a borderline Top 5 player that wasn't even honorable mention in MVP consideration?

During that time period, Gasol was never Top 10 in scoring.  In Rebounding he was 8th( 2009,) 6th( 2011,) and 7th(2012.)

During the same time period, Gasol never made 1st or 2nd all defensive team either.

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

He was top-20 in points, top-15 in blocks, Top 8+ in boards for those years while averaging 3.5 assists and being very efficient.  2nd team All-NBA and two 3rd team ALL-NBA.

But haters gonna hate.

I don't hate him.  One poster said he had a near MVP performance.  You said he was a borderline Top 5 player during that stretch,.

He was neither.

Edited by Iceman

Pau's highest playoffs points/gm average (wrong side of a 4-0 sweep in '04-05) was 4 points/gm less than Dirk's career playoffs ppg.

They belong in different conversations.

He's also 0-8 against Dirk for his career in playoffs (mostly a random fact, I think team success arguments in these types of discussion are pretty meaningless)

16 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I don't hate him.  One poster said he had a near MVP performance.  You said he was a borderline Top 5 player during that stretch,.

He was neither.

Pau was 2nd in the league in win shares behind LeBron in 2011, and ahead of Dwight, Chris Paul, and Derrick Rose. On a Lakers team that won 57 games. The year before, in the playoffs, he led the playoffs in win shares and posted a 5.9 BPM. 

There was absolutely a 2-3 year stretch where Pau was a top 10 player in the league. When I said "near MVP" I meant good enough to garner some MVP votes. He never got any, but then again, he was playing next to Kobe. Put him on a different team and his accolades could have been different. 

This is from 2010, when he was garnering MVP hype early in the season: https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2010/12/8/1863461/nba-mvp-power-rankings-chris-paul-pau-gasol-lebron-james

This is an op ed from Feb 2010 calling him "the MVP of the Lakers" https://www.slamonline.com/nba/pau-gasol-is-the-mvp-of-the-lakers/

I mean Pau was basically a poor man's Duncan (obviously Duncan was in a different stratosphere defensively). He gave you an efficient 20/10 every night, maybe a couple blocks, 4ish assists, and lead by example and was always a paragon of what it means to be a teammate. He made everyone around him better - including Kobe.

Edited by ztejas

If we are going to talk playoffs, let's not cherry pick the years where either of these guys only played 4-5 games. I'm not saying Pau's career is better.  I'm not even saying his best 3-year stretch is better than Dirk's.  I'm just saying they are in the same conversation.

Dirk's best playoffs:

2005-2006 (23 games) - 27.0 pts, 11.7 reb, 2.9 ast, 0.6 blk, 1.1 stl, 2.1 TO, 46.8 FG%  (or)

2010-2011 (21 games) - 27.7 pts, 8.1 reb, 2.5 ast, 0.6 blk, 0.6 stl, 3.1 TO, 48.5 FG%

Pau's best playoffs:

2008-2009 (23 games) - 18.3 pts, 10.8 reb, 2.5 ast, 2.0 blk, 0.8 stl, 1.9 TO, 58.0 FG%  (or)

2009-2010 (23 games) - 19.6 pts, 11.1 reb, 3.5 ast, 2.1 blk, 0.4 stl, 1.9 TO, 53.9 FG%

Sure, Dirk averaged more points.  But averaging the two years shown (both title years), Pau had more rebounds.  More assists. Waaay more blocks. Fewer turnovers.  And most importantly, a vastly higher field goal percent.  He was a much more efficient player than Dirk, which made him a perfect complement to Kobe.

and just for fun...

Tim Duncan's best playoffs

2002-2003 (24 games) - 24.7 pts, 15.4 reb, 5.3 ast, 3.3 blk, 0.6 stl, 3.2 TO, 52.9 FG% - wow!

Rolling out a FG% in 2020 is like arguing with batting avg or RBI. Ignores value of FTs, 3's, floor spacing, volume and "oh shit, we need a bucket and there's :05 left on the shot clock... you're our guy, here's the ball: do something" factor

TS% would suggest Pau was a narrowly more efficient (~1% for the years you chose) player while handling a fraction of the usage Dirk did.

ETA: also, if we're talking cherry picked years (... which I don't think I did 🤷‍♂️) in your handpicked 3 year window you chose for Pau  he went 3rd-team-, 3rd-team-, 2nd-team All-NBA...  Dirk went 1st, 2nd, 2nd over that same stretch

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 1

Nobody is arguing that. But to say a 2nd team all-NBA player is is in the same discussion as a 1st team all-NBA player isn't absurd. Especially when he has more win shares and comparable PER.

But since some of you are having reading comprehension issues, let me state it again. Dirk is better than Pau. Better career. Better peak. There.

But Pau was not a role playing scrub.

Gonna throw out some stats of two former college hoopers who each played for four years. At the end I'm going to ask you to name those players. Here we go.

3 Point shooting player comparison:

Player A:

Freshman: 44-99, .444 

Sophomore: 65-194, .335 

Junior: 59-166, .355

Senior: 42-126, .333

Career 3P%- .359

3PA/3PM as a Jr and Sr: 101-292

3P% as a Jr and Sr: .345

Player B:

Freshman: 12-47, .255

Sophomore: 61-178, .343

Junior: 51-130, .392

Senior: 46-130, .354

Career 3P%- .351

3PA/3PM as a Jr and Sr: 97-260

3P% as a Jr and Sr: .373

So, based on just looking at these numbers, it appears that Player A peaked as a freshman, where thereafter he was mostly a volume shooter who cumulatively shot less than 35% from deep over his final three seasons in college.

Player B on the other hand was terrible as a freshman, but then backed it up with a pretty nice final three years in college, shooting nearly 40% as a junior, while cumulatively shooting over 37% during his final two years. That's the conclusion we can draw based on looking at these numbers anyway.  Now then- name those players. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Gonna throw out some stats of two former college hoopers who each played for four years. At the end I'm going to ask you to name those players. Here we go.
Player A:

Career 3P%- .359

Player B:

Career 3P%- .351

So, based on just looking at these numbers, it appears that Player A peaked as a freshman, where thereafter he was mostly a volume shooter who cumulatively shot less than 35% from deep over his final three seasons in college.

Player B on the other hand was terrible as a freshman, but then backed it up with a pretty nice final three years in college, shooting nearly 40% as a junior, while cumulatively shooting over 37% during his final two years. That's the conclusion we can draw based on looking at these numbers anyway.  Now then- name those players. 
Brandy perryman and Aj abrams?

19 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:
31 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:
Player A:

Career 3P%- .359

Player B:

Career 3P%- .351

Read more  

Brandy perryman and Aj abrams?

Yes on Perryman. He is Player A. I'm gonna spoil who Player B is now:

Javan Felix

Edited by Goo Punch

AJ Abrams:

Freshman: 46-118, .390

Sophomore: 120-284, .423

Junior: 118-309, .382

Senior: 105-265, .396

Career 3P%- .399

3PA/3PM as a Jr and Sr: 223-574

3P% as a Jr and Sr: .389

He is the greatest shooter in Big XII history, and one of the greatest three point shooters in modern college basketball. And his work rate off the ball is the best I have ever seen. He was a truly special player who for some reason does not get the love that he deserves. I suppose playing the likes of PJ Tucker, LaMarcus Aldridge, Boobie Gibson, Kevin Durant, and DJ Augustin can have that affect. FUCK i miss when we were THAT fucking good with stacked rosters full of well coached players. 

14 hours ago, HookEm said:

Nobody is arguing that. But to say a 2nd team all-NBA player is is in the same discussion as a 1st team all-NBA player isn't absurd. Especially when he has more win shares and comparable PER.

But since some of you are having reading comprehension issues, let me state it again. Dirk is better than Pau. Better career. Better peak. There.

But Pau was not a role playing scrub.

Nobody remotely said that. He was never an MVP candidate nor was a he a Top 5 type player; those were the lofty but unsubstantiated praise comments thrown out there as if they were facts..  I DID say he was a great role player, and nothing discussed here has changed that assessment.

Maybe you should follow your own advice and read more better.

15 hours ago, HookEm said:

But since some of you are having reading comprehension issues, let me state it again. Dirk is better than Pau. Better career. Better peak.

23 hours ago, HookEm said:

People like to talk a lot about Dirk's greatness, but at his peak Pau was right there with him. He was a better rebounder, defender and ball distributor. He did the little things that produce wins.  Back in 2009 before the Mav's title, fresh off back-to-back Lakers titles, I'm not sure I would have taken Dirk over Pau.

Well, which is it young fella?

Kevin McHale was such a badass. He had more low post moves than anyone and that includes Hakeem. Barkley said that if McHale got the ball down on the blocks all you could do was hope he'd miss because you weren't going to stop him. He also gets points for being one of the funniest MFers of all time. One of my favorite quips from McHale was him busting the ball of #33. A reporter asked him "what's the most amazing thing you've ever seen Larry Bird do?" He didn't miss a beat with "well, I saw him pick up the check one time."

And I know he doesn't belong on the top 10 or probably top 50 white players, but a shout out to 'Thunder' Dan Majerle. White Men Can't Jump definitely did not apply to him.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

he may not be the best, but Jerry Lucas is certainly the most interesting. 

I'd throw his teammate Bill Bradley into the discussion for most interesting as well. He's the only player I can find on basketball-reference with a couple years of stats listed as:

DNP (Rhode's Scholar)

afaik he's the only NBA alumnus Senator as well

• Like 1