Top 10 white basketball players of all time.

Uncle Boobs

Not reading the thread, but if Brandy Perryman or Hank Dudek are not on this list I don’t even want to know y’all.

Seriously though Luke Axtell could have been that type of NBA talent but he came along at the wrong time and well, you know how the rest of that goes. To quote Derka holy shit he was a “baller”.

this was the tame stuff from the Axtell days  - “Many of the deposed witnesses were asked about an alcohol problem Penders was rumored to have had, although Penders says such rumors were all started by Dodds, who Penders says wanted a new coach for some time. 

“I don’t even drink,” said Penders, who vehemently denies all the charges.

One player, Brandy Perryman, whose deposition focuses greatly on Penders’ character, said in his deposition that Penders had a sports psychologist speak to the team incessantly, and that Penders verbally abused him, calling him late at night and telling him how poorly he played.”

too lazy to look up where that came from.

Guest Lobo

Pos rep on Brandy Perryman.  I still remember the insane over the shoulder shot he made at ESPN Midnight Madness in '96.  

Obviously he was mentioned above but I have to reiterate Drazen Petrovic.  I vaguely remember him from growing up in Chicago and following NBA more closely in the 1990's and some epic battles he had with Jordan.  But hadn't thought about him in 25 years probably.  Then I started down the wiki/youtube rabbit hole on him yesterday for some reason (probably the Jordan thread).  Didn't realize exactly how good he was just getting when he died tragically died.  I mean, I knew he was good, but he already well on his way to becoming a perpetual All-NBA team type.  Hope he's resting in peace.  

And I always thought (again, a long time ago when I actually followed the NBA) that Chris Mullin was overrated.  

On 5/19/2020 at 7:36 PM, Uncle Boobs said:

What about Manute?

f9646f979366b2c5b54dbc2fdb10c3c6.jpg

While I love Manute, I dont think that counts as a tan.

CSB.  I was in Philly back in the day when Manute played for them.  Maybe 

On 5/19/2020 at 7:36 PM, Uncle Boobs said:

What about Manute?

f9646f979366b2c5b54dbc2fdb10c3c6.jpg

While I loved Manute, I don't think he qualifies as a white tan guy.

CSB.  Was on a job in Philly in the early 90s when Manute played for the Sixers.  Workmate and I decided to drive to Atlantic City to check out the new Trump Taj Majal.  It had just opened and was still under some construction (it was crazy how ugly and cheesy it was in the beginning- maybe still is?).  Was at a craps table and in walks Manute with an entourage of family and friends.  He had a game in Philly that night and he still had on his game uniform and sweats.  He comes to our table and stands right beside me.  It is shocking how tall he was.  We get on a roll and start winning and so we chatted a bit.  His english was very broken but he told me that he was living in a suite in the hotel for the entire season.  After about an hour or so (he was up around $20,000) and it was about 1:00 am or so and he invites us to dinner.  Of course we accept and we follow him (and his entourage) to the elevator and go up to his suite.  Craziest scene I may have ever seen.  Huge suite, people everywhere and from all ages and races.  Clothes and trash and random shit strewn everywhere.  There was an african woman (i assumed form where he grew up) completely topless and breast feeding a baby on one of the couches.  Just a surreal scene.  There was a buffet set up with everything you can imagine to eat- steak, chicken, seafood, potatoes, fruit, salads, african looking peas and rice stuff and a fully stocked bar.  We ate and drank for a while and then waved good bye.  He almost certainly had to have been broke when he stopped playing.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, sheeeit said:

While I love Manute, I dont think that counts as a tan.

CSB.  I was in Philly back in the day when Manute played for them.  Maybe 

While I loved Manute, I don't think he qualifies as a white tan guy.

CSB.  Was on a job in Philly in the early 90s when Manute played for the Sixers.  Workmate and I decided to drive to Atlantic City to check out the new Trump Taj Majal.  It had just opened and was still under some construction (it was crazy how ugly and cheesy it was in the beginning- maybe still is?).  Was at a craps table and in walks Manute with an entourage of family and friends.  He had a game in Philly that night and he still had on his game uniform and sweats.  He comes to our table and stands right beside me.  It is shocking how tall he was.  We get on a roll and start winning and so we chatted a bit.  His english was very broken but he told me that he was living in a suite in the hotel for the entire season.  After about an hour or so (he was up around $20,000) and it was about 1:00 am or so and he invites us to dinner.  Of course we accept and we follow him (and his entourage) to the elevator and go up to his suite.  Craziest scene I may have ever seen.  Huge suite, people everywhere and from all ages and races.  Clothes and trash and random shit strewn everywhere.  There was an african woman (i assumed form where he grew up) completely topless and breast feeding a baby on one of the couches.  Just a surreal scene.  There was a buffet set up with everything you can imagine to eat- steak, chicken, seafood, potatoes, fruit, salads, african looking peas and rice stuff and a fully stocked bar.  We ate and drank for a while and then waved good bye.  He almost certainly had to have been broke when he stopped playing.

This is the definition of a CSB...fantastic.  I had always heard really good things about Manute. 

On 5/21/2020 at 3:20 AM, justhookit said:

Not reading the thread, but if Brandy Perryman or Hank Dudek are not on this list I don’t even want to know y’all.

Seriously though Luke Axtell could have been that type of NBA talent but he came along at the wrong time and well, you know how the rest of that goes. To quote Derka holy shit he was a “baller”.

this was the tame stuff from the Axtell days  - “Many of the deposed witnesses were asked about an alcohol problem Penders was rumored to have had, although Penders says such rumors were all started by Dodds, who Penders says wanted a new coach for some time. 

“I don’t even drink,” said Penders, who vehemently denies all the charges.

One player, Brandy Perryman, whose deposition focuses greatly on Penders’ character, said in his deposition that Penders had a sports psychologist speak to the team incessantly, and that Penders verbally abused him, calling him late at night and telling him how poorly he played.”

too lazy to look up where that came from.

Brandy Perryman and Luke Axtell top ten all-time white players? Lulz.

Guest Lobo

I think those suggestions were made in jest.  

Though if you want to talk best 10 white Longhorn hoops players.  You'll basically start with Slater Martin and Denton Cooley, then about 40 years of plenty of no-talent guys to choose from, and then you get to Axtell, Mihm, Buckman, and 5 others of your own choosing.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Though if you want to talk best 10 white Longhorn hoops players.  You'll basically start with Slater Martin and Denton Cooley, then about 40 years of plenty of no-talent guys to choose from, and then you get to Axtell, Mihm, Buckman, and 5 others of your own choosing.  

Mike Wacker, Jim Krivacs, and Jay Arnette come to mind. And obviously greggym.

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
52 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Mike Wacker, Jim Krivacs, and Jay Arnette come to mind. And obviously greggym.

Good call on Jay Arnette.  I forgot Krivacs just a few posts above mine.  But just learned that Arnette was on the 1960 Gold Medal team, Naismith Hall of Famer, and was even drafted into the NBA.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good call on Jay Arnette.  I forgot Krivacs just a few posts above mine.  But just learned that Arnette was on the 1960 Gold Medal team, Naismith Hall of Famer, and was even drafted into the NBA.  

but his most notable career achievement was being my orthodontist when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
Just now, Goo Punch said:

but his most notable career achievement was being my orthodontist when I was a kid. 

Yeah, I saw that played varsity basketball as a grad student here (not sure how he got around the NCAA, but I'm sure they had less teeth back then).  

And that he studied dentistry, and that's when I said out loud, "When the fuck did we have a dental school?"  In front of my 5 year old  

30 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Just the guys I can think of, since childhood of the 80's:

Larry Bird 
Bill Walton
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Steve Kerr
Chris Mullin
Kevin McHale
John Stockton
Mark Price
Bill Laimbeer

Mullin and Price would be remembered/thought of much differently if they were black, imo. those two guys are super underrated not only in NBA history, but even within their own era. If Mullin played today he'd go nuts scoring the ball. Price would average a double double and shoot 50/45/90. But no one ever seems to talk about them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yup.  Maybe you aren’t such a bad dude after all.  Brad’s mom Tammy  was the definition of milf before that term got popular.. she’s also really cool in a good way as in I enjoy drinking a beer or 5 with her and family. I’m feeling really old now. Miss those days where it was actually fun to travel with the team. Our final four game against Syracuse may  have been the most fun I’ve ever had at any UT game, and I was at our national championship football game. 

Edited by justhookit

Guest Lobo
9 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yup.  Maybe you aren’t such a bad dude after all.  Brad’s mom Tammy  was the definition of milf before that term got popular.. she’s also really cool in a good way as in I enjoy drinking a beer or 5 with her and family. I’m feeling really old now. Miss those days where it was actually fun to travel with the team. Our final four game against Syracuse may  have been the most fun I’ve ever had at any UT game, and I was at our national championship football game. 

I've heard good things about the whole family.  Few years after his Final Four run (pre-Europe I guess), I lived in the same complex as him off MoPac.  It was mostly transplants living there, so few people recognized him but me.  He'd see my Longhorn car sticker and I assume I was only half crazy.  Years later I joked I knew him by the stussy/mossimo stickers on his car, I think he was too young to get it.  But we reconnected through a mutual friend when he went over to Aquila and I'd join him and this other guy's "office hours" at Star Bar and/or Cover3.  It's been a couple years since I've seen him though, the other two of us started having kids.  I need to reach out to him when Covid-19 is under control.  Meantime, tell him I drafted him for my Top 10 White Longhorn players of all time...he'll be quite honored I'm sure.  /csb 

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Mullin and Price would be remembered/thought of much differently if they were black, imo. those two guys are super underrated not only in NBA history, but even within their own era. If Mullin played today he'd go nuts scoring the ball. Price would average a double double and shoot 50/45/90. But no one ever seems to talk about them.

Or, the same could be said if both were on championship caliber teams (as note, many "forget" the likes of Shawn Kemp, great player/ no rings)...

One of the cheesiest videos ever produced, but the simple truth is, if Pistol Pete had played with an even halfway decent... hell, even a remotely competent supporting cast, #1 would be him without any real debate.

I hated him at the time. Grew up the biggest Iceman fan you could imagine. But for making somebody twice as fast and quick as he was look just plain stupid, there was nobody like Pistol Pete. A fucking psychic three card monty player on the court who could score from fucking anywhere. Just ridiculous with a basketball.

• Like 1