Taika Waititi

Beau Vine

Holy shit, what a talent this guy is.

We watched Jojo Rabbit a couple of weeks ago.  Really good, almost Wes Andersonesque.

Then this past  week we went on a Taika binge:

Death of Stalin   whoops

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Boy tonight

All three of these movies were just absolutely great, to the point that I would have watched them again the next day.

I guess we'll watch Eagle vs Shark tomorrow.   Saw What We Do in the Shadows several years ago, need to see it again.  

Edited by Beau Vine

Sucks he's quitting film though. 

Jest aside, What We Do in the Shadows is still my favorite. 

So great. And the TV show might be better than the movie. Taiki and Clement are helping produce and write some of it, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 4:55 PM, ztejas said:

It sounds like a risque drink you'd order at a beach bar. 

"I'll have a sex on the beach and a Taika Waititi"

Or a place where there would be a beach bar.

"Oh, we're going to head to the South Pacific for holiday.  We heard of this little island, Taika Waititi, it hasn't been overrun by the tourists just yet.  The US was testing atomic bombs on it back during the '50s.  As a matter of fact, you know how the bikini was named after Bikini Atoll, where they did a bunch of atomic bomb tests as well?  Women could just as easily be wearing the waititi instead of the bikini, but Louis Reard thought "bikini" was easier to spell!"

• Like 1

Confirmed that he's going to do a Star Wars movie:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/taika-waititi-star-wars-1234597104/

Taika Waititi will direct a new “Star Wars” movie for theatrical release, which he will co-write with “1917” scribe Krysty Wilson-Cairns.

The news confirms reports that first broke in January that Waititi was developing a new “Star Wars” movie. When Variety asked Waititi about those reports after he won the Oscar

More to come…

• Like 1

https://io9.gizmodo.com/taika-waititis-star-wars-movie-is-real-1843241805

Once again, there’s very little in the way of current details, but previous rumors had suggested that the show will take place in a different period of the Star Wars timeline compared to its fellow Disney+ counterparts, and focus on a cast of female characters.

Finally, the Star Wars project all the fans have been demanding for decades.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

You must be true a connoisseur 

mr. sunshine that’s precisely what I am.  and because of that I was able to see through the bullshit and take that movie for what it was: a beautifully shot steaming pile of shit. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Taika Waititi will direct a new “Star Wars” movie for theatrical release

It will suck because Star Wars sucks.  Two legendary movies and the rest are not.  Us 40-50 somethings just keep hoping though don't we.  

27 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

It will suck because Star Wars sucks.  Two legendary movies and the rest are not.  Us 40-50 somethings just keep hoping though don't we.  

The first two are legendary, the third is a pretty awesome movie. Rogue One was great. I haven't watched Solo but I hear it's pretty good. The prequels were just dreadful.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, futureman said:

hunt for the wilderpeople is greatness.  saw it twice in the theater. 

Good to know.  Trying to convince the fam to watch it tonight.  I am going to just force the issue

On 5/4/2020 at 3:33 PM, rage-a-holic said:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/taika-waititis-star-wars-movie-is-real-1843241805

Finally, the Star Wars project all the fans have been demanding for decades.

I mean I'm probably the most Pro Disney Star Wars guy around(I know, not a surprise).  I will tell anyone who listens they have had some big missteps(Kathleen Kennedy, not having the same director for all 3 Sequel trilogy movies, the entire backlash causing the worst of all the moves, Rise of Skywalker, being made) but in general I loved Rebels, R1 and even Solo.  Mandalorian is great.

But if they STILL haven't figured out that the fan base is not okay with the over saturation of female specific stories and leads, then they are really missing the boat.

Rey is THE Lead of the tent pole franchise sequels. R1 has a female Lead.  Ahsoka has gone from being the favorite character for most from Clone Wars under Lucas to being a certifiable icon under Disney.

Even the games have had either a female lead(Battlefront) or co star(Fallen Jedi)

We don't need more and more forced down our throats.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:14 PM, PRONG HORN said:

There's more than 2 great movies in the franchise.  NO matter what you think of the prequel and sequel trilogies.

I hope they make it a women's prison movie in space, all lonely, charged up, and Zoe in some blue/green paint as the strict (but not quite fair) horny warden with a thing for turning them to the dark side of her body.   Oh and chains.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, futureman said:

hunt for the wilderpeople is greatness.  saw it twice in the theater. 

Watched it last weekend.  Very enjoyable watch.  Not groundbreaking.  Just easy watching.  And anything with Murray Hewitt (Rhys Darby) gets my vote. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah he’s a good good.

We’ve seen Boy, what we do, flight, eagle v shark, wilderpeople, Thor ragnorok, his episode of the inbetweeners, Mandalorian, and JoJo.

He’s been doing some great work for a long time.

As to his Star Wars movie, I have confidence he’ll do something impressive like he did with Thor. He basically gave Thor new life and seeing his touch on the season finally of the Mandalorian shows he can give amusing life to the stormtroopers and scouts. I think he’ll be solid

8 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

As to his Star Wars movie, I have confidence he’ll do something impressive like he did with Thor. He basically gave Thor new life and seeing his touch on the season finally of the Mandalorian shows he can give amusing life to the stormtroopers and scouts. I think he’ll be solid

even considering its popularity, what he did with ragnorak was really fucking impressive and fairly unappreciated.

this was during a period of time when marvel was just as likely to release a clunker as a hit, especially when only evaluating sequels.  iron man 2, iron man 3, thor 2, guardians 2, ultron, and so forth.  thor 2 was one of the worst marvel movies made at that point (and probably still is).  i don't know what those meetings looked like, or who made what decisions, but for him to grab the franchise by the balls completely saved "thor" and really put a jolt into marvel right at the time when they needed the momentum swing back towards their huge end-of-phase tentpole movies.

if he could bring some new perspective and imagination into the star wars universe, he'd be a fucking legend.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 10:28 AM, XYZ said:

Last night I watched What We Do In The Shadows. I found it pretty entertaining but not nearly as memorable as Jojo Rabbit.

PSA: Go watch the TV series.  Both seasons are up on Hulu, including today's episode.

Mark Hamill was in last week's episode if you want a Star Wars tie-in.

Edited by atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't know what those meetings looked like, or who made what decisions, but for him to grab the franchise by the balls completely saved "thor" and really put a jolt into marvel right at the time when they needed the momentum swing back towards their huge end-of-phase tentpole movies.

5 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Ragnarok is the most entertaining movie in the MCU.  The fact that it was the third movie of the least energetic franchise in the MCU shows just what an amazing feat he accomplished.   

When I was a kid, I occasionally read Thor, either in the Safeway while my mom was grocery shopping, or when I'd get hand-me-downs from relatives.  It was kind of interesting, but if you told me 20 years that there would be a 24-movie-and-counting universe of Marvel movies, and that Thor 3 would be in the top 5 of those two-dozen movies., I would have said "how the hell did they take a Norse god who reminds me of a roided-out California surfer dude and pull that off?"

Actually,  would have said "WHAT THE FUCK?  YOU MEAN THEY MADE THREE THOR MOVIES?"

On 5/21/2020 at 10:38 PM, atomheartbevo said:

PSA: Go watch the TV series.  Both seasons are up on Hulu, including today's episode.

Mark Hamill was in last week's episode if you want a Star Wars tie-in.

I must have had too much scotch last night.   didn't remember seeing him in it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 12:34 PM, Drew said:

I mean I'm probably the most Pro Disney Star Wars guy around(I know, not a surprise).  I will tell anyone who listens they have had some big missteps(Kathleen Kennedy, not having the same director for all 3 Sequel trilogy movies, the entire backlash causing the worst of all the moves, Rise of Skywalker, being made) but in general I loved Rebels, R1 and even Solo.  Mandalorian is great.

But if they STILL haven't figured out that the fan base is not okay with the over saturation of female specific stories and leads, then they are really missing the boat.

Rey is THE Lead of the tent pole franchise sequels. R1 has a female Lead.  Ahsoka has gone from being the favorite character for most from Clone Wars under Lucas to being a certifiable icon under Disney.

Even the games have had either a female lead(Battlefront) or co star(Fallen Jedi)

We don't need more and more forced down our throats.

There's more than 2 great movies in the franchise.  NO matter what you think of the prequel and sequel trilogies.

I can't comment on the video games, but I don't think the female lead characters were the problem, per se.

Most fans really liked Rogue One, and I also think that most people had no problem with the character Rey in the sequel trilogy, it was more the disjointed nature of the storytelling. And as you noted, Ashoka has been a fan favorite for a while, and the reaction to the last season of Clone Wars was overwhelmingly positive.

The key thing to note her is DAVE FILONI. As if Clone Wars and Rebels weren't proof enough, if you watch the Manadlorian "making of" videos on D+, it's just absolutely clear that Filoni GETS IT. He understands Star Wars and what it needs to be, and it'll be fine as long as he's around driving stories.

And to bring it back to the thread at hand, having Taika Waititi as part of the core group responsible for the Mandalorian (along with Filoni and Favreau) makes me VERY hopeful for the future of Star Wars.

• Like 1

Don't really disagree with any of that at all.

I think the backlash from a certain set of the fandom on social media about "ewww, gross...womenzzzz" has been over done and overblown.  But they do need to be more concerned with the story, writing, and basic plots of these movies/shows rather than "Let's find a woman or minority to be in the lead role"

• Like 1