Recommend me Meat Grinder

This is what I have. No real complaints other than follow the directions and don't wash the parts in the dishwasher otherwise the coating starts to rub off on everything (I had to order new parts). Small scale operation for me, I make sausage 2-3x per year. 10-20 lbs at a time. 

https://www.amazon.com/STX-International-STX-3000-TF-Turboforce-Electric/dp/B0012KJBR0

I'll add in, this is the stuffer I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H0VIZKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Baboontyme

I bought the cheap add on to the kitchenaid to get my feet wet. I made some ground beef with some tenderloin trimmings. Way too lean. What’s the beat way to incorporate fat, or am I just using the wrong cut of meat?
Review of kitchenaid attachment? Did it work pretty well? I'm looking for a meat grinder for beef tallow, but don't want another standalone appliance.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:
12 hours ago, Jimbaround said:
I bought the cheap add on to the kitchenaid to get my feet wet. I made some ground beef with some tenderloin trimmings. Way too lean. What’s the beat way to incorporate fat, or am I just using the wrong cut of meat?

Review of kitchenaid attachment? Did it work pretty well? I'm looking for a meat grinder for beef tallow, but don't want another standalone appliance.

I got the plastic one and it worked fine with the meat.  However, I got a strip of sinew with fat that bogged it down (the sinew wrapped around the blade and I had to take it apart to get it out).  For ~$40 it's probably worth what you pay and I imagine I'm going to break it before too long.  I bought a chuck roast I'm going to try and see how that goes.  I'll make sure to update once I break it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Buy an untrimmed packer brisket and grind it, fat and all.  Well most of the fat anyway depending on the cut.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I caught one on sale years ago and made summer sausage and hamburger meat out of it. Turned out damn good.

Before the hard times hit, you could find brisket regularly for less than $2 lb and make a ton of hamburger and chili meat.  Helps to have a vacuum sealer which I don’t have at the moment.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

I added some bacon, but apparently not enough.  Good idea on getting some fat from the meat counter.  I'll have to save some next time I trim a brisket.

Or, if you buy animals whole and have them processed (we do half a pig each year), you can ask the processor for fat for lard.  I imagine it would work well as a sausage enhancer as well.  Same for beef fat.

Before the hard times hit, you could find brisket regularly for less than $2 lb and make a ton of hamburger and chili meat.  Helps to have a vacuum sealer which I don’t have at the moment.  

By hard times, do you mean before every jack ass thought they were Aaron franklin?
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

By hard times, do you mean before every jack ass thought they were Aaron franklin?

Lol no, I meant the current price of beef.  I didn’t know how to refer to the current situation.  2 months ago you could still get $1.97lb now and then.   I think it’s shot up the last few weeks.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 4/10/2020 at 4:50 PM, Jkwellborn said:

You can get far from the locker plant or meat counter at the store. If I’m making burger or sausage, I’ll buy a box of bacon ends and pieces and grind them in with the meat.

toss in some butterfingers and baby you got a stew going!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, Jerry Callo said:
On 4/9/2020 at 10:36 PM, Jimbaround said:

The kitchenaid attachment works pretty good