Beans

workswithseed

Scoop of beans.  Spoon of lard. Salt.

Cook in a pan until it's the consistency you want.  Stir so they don't burn.

Could probably use bacon grease instead.  Could add a little garlic powder, chili powder, or whatever.  

I try to make them healthy and don't put the lard.  It's not as creamy, but gets thr job done.

• Like 1

Pro tip: scorch some onions (about half a big one per 2 lbs of refried beans), a couple of finely chopped jalapenos, and two cloves of garlic, plus seasonings (I keep it simple: cumin with lots of black pepper and chili powder).

If you really want to impress, fold in about five cubed-up Roma tomatoes at the very end. They will add a depth and tartness that will make your taste buds sing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I don't even know where to get that. 

readily available online. perfect for cooking a pot of beans. 

i also highly recommend Sazón with Saffron, also available  online. small pack but adds a lot of flavor 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gotta have some sorta salty pork -- some bacon, some ham hocks, what have you.  Without it, even if you use some bacon grease, it just ain't the same.

21 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Pro tip: scorch some onions (about half a big one per 2 lbs of refried beans), a couple of finely chopped jalapenos, and two cloves of garlic, plus seasonings (I keep it simple: cumin with lots of black pepper and chili powder).

If you really want to impress, fold in about five cubed-up Roma tomatoes at the very end. They will add a depth and tartness that will make your taste buds sing.

Are y'all saying you add all this when you make the refrieds?  I put in pork, onions, peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and a can of rotel when cooking the pot of beans.  Then to refry, I load up the skillet with bacon grease, drain most of the liquid off of the pintos, add them to the skillet, and mash them up as they fry.  

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Are y'all saying you add all this when you make the refrieds?  I put in pork, onions, peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and a can of rotel when cooking the pot of beans.  Then to refry, I load up the skillet with bacon grease, drain most of the liquid off of the pintos, add them to the skillet, and mash them up as they fry.  

A hock is easy to remove before you mash.

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

Are y'all saying you add all this when you make the refrieds?

I generally cook the beans with fatback, salt pork, ham hock, or bacon (doesn't matter which, imo, but you gotta have poke fat).

Once the beans are tender, I mash them up.

Then I get my cast iron skillet heated up, scorch the onions and peppers, toast the garlic, toss in the beans and seasonings, let it simmer together for a few minutes, and then turn down the heat and fold in the tomatoes.

Bean-and-cheese tacos have never tasted better.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
added salt pork

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's not refried beans... that's a fiery fart salad....

Damned good though.  However, during a TP crisis may be inadvisable.  lulz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I have a lot of pinto beans cause of current events. Today I'm about to make some homemade refried beans. Is there any good recipes y'all have come up with?

Stage 1:

Soak the beans (I go in 1 cup increments) in cold water for a couple hours or overnight. Toss the water. Keep the beans

Stage 2:

Peel an onion, chop in half around the equator, but leave as one piece. Put beans, 4x as much water as beans, 1 Tbsp sea salt and the onion half in the water.

Bring to boil, then simmer for 40 minutes or until all the beans are soft. Toss the water and onion half; keep the beans.

At this point you have yummy straight-up beans. You can eat 'em right there.

Stage 3:

If that ain't good enough for you, mash 1/2 to 2/3ds of the beans. Throw the remaining onion half, 3 cloves garlic, a jalapeño pepper (you can add habanero or hatch chiles as well), salt, 1tsp cumin, 1tsp oregano, 1tsp coriander into a food processor and blend it evenly. Toss into big-ass saucepan along with olive oil (2 Tbsp or so) and bacon drippings (a big ol' dollop). Once the onions, garlic, and pepper are wilted (translucent onions). At that point, put in a can of chicken stock (1.5C) and all the beans, mashed or otherwise. Bring to a boil, then cook on low heat and stirring. When the gunk peels away from the sides of the pan, it's done. Serve with a sprinkle of white cheese on top.

I find that hatch red chile sauce added to the above when cooking not only tastes great, but gives it a reddish-brown color that's nicer-looking than the brownish-gray you'll otherwise end up with.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

hatch chile sauce:

12 dried red chiles, stemmed 'n' seeded

12 oz water

2 tsp salt or so, shit, I never really know, I just eyeball all these

1/2 tsp oregano

1 tsp salt

3 cloves garlic

Blend the everloving fuck out of the above. Like, really, you think it's done? No fucking way, blend more. Scrape every little bit into a pot. Bring to boil, let simmer on VERY low heat, COVERED, for ~40 min. If you fuck that last bit up you'll end up with burnt shit, blech.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I don't even know where to get that. 

If you live in Texas it's in the Fiesta spices section in virtually all grocery stores.

NM.  I see the pics now...

Edited by Iceman

Was gonna say I’ve never done refried but for regular I boil the beans with one whole entire garlic, splash of oil, and half way through put in some salt for taste. Boil with a lid on until the water is almost completely evaporated but the beans aren’t sticking to the bottom, turn off the heat, let sit a smidge with the cover on. 

They sure as hell look/act refried and taste great but without any extra steps. That said, lot of the recipes up top sound great. 

• Fuck You 1

Thanks to this thread I decided to take a stab at pinto beans - got a late start on soaking today so didn’t have time (or energy) to do refried. Was surprised how simple this was....it just takes time.

Soaked the beans for 8 hours then tossed into the pot with a halved onion and a few smashed garlic cloves. Sautéed for a couple of hours then dumped in the seasoning (used the pinto bean seasoning, chicken bouillon, and some sea salt).

I thought it might be a little thin when I took it off the heat but it thickened up really nicely as it cooled. Really damn good. Never going back to the canned stuff.

6a50caccaa77c7b05dcc0725fb122df9.jpg
b2d88fc05ad2241e13b4387d23646cab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I made a big Easter ham.

It yielded a gorgeous hambone with lots of meat and collagen.

The pot of beans will happen Wednesday or Thursday. It will be glorious. Jalapeño cornbread will join along for the party.

What type? I might have to make Charro or baked beans next.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I made a big Easter ham.

It yielded a gorgeous hambone with lots of meat and collagen.

The pot of beans will happen Wednesday or Thursday. It will be glorious. Jalapeño cornbread will join along for the party.

that hambone makes for a damn great pot of beans 

im jelly 

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For realz? We just got one....I may need to make a test batch? Got a solid pinto recipe for it? With salty pork involved, of course.

sweat some bacon (use saute function and the adjust button to get it hot), remove, deglaze with whatever beer you're drinking, add picked/rinsed beans and tub of pico + any salsa and bits of onion and that last jalapeno in the jar you have banging around in the back of the fridge, add 3 tablespoons fiesta pinto seasoning + 1 tablespoon chicken base, put bacon back in, add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches, 55 to 1:05 on high pressure (depends on bean age), quick release, mash some up if you like, eat.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 4

Just gonna leave this here. Probably my fault for letting it slip to the tenth page.

I made the red beans from the first post yesterday, and added a couple splashes of Worcestershire near the end and the outcome was divine. I like to stop before they all turn to mush and mash a few beans on their own to get the sauce creamy, while still leaving most of the beans whole.

I've got a pound of navy beans soaking tonight for a batch of baked beans tomorrow, which will be turned into an uptown beanie weenie for myself and the 2 yo.

spacer.png

• Like 3