Beans

workswithseed

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Have two large pork bones from a picnic roast in the freezer, anyone got a good pinto recipe I can use them in? Never made pinto beans from scratch before, have the fiesta seasoning as well.

Beans are the canvas. 
Only you can create your own art. 

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 5:21 AM, achooloco said:

Was gonna say I’ve never done refried but for regular I boil the beans with one whole entire garlic, splash of oil, and half way through put in some salt for taste. Boil with a lid on until the water is almost completely evaporated but the beans aren’t sticking to the bottom, turn off the heat, let sit a smidge with the cover on. 

They sure as hell look/act refried and taste great but without any extra steps. That said, lot of the recipes up top sound great. 

Yeah, I tried adding the bacon droppings while they boil, and they're fantastic in burritos that way. Still trying to figure out that trick where you toast the cheese directly on the grill while toasting the tortilla tho. I know there's some scraping involved, but it comes up all crumpled...

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:24 PM, tx 3 putt said:

that hambone makes for a damn great pot of beans 

im jelly 

Hambone makes incredible soup stock. Hambones in general are one of the most amazing unknown cooking things... Wife made hambone soup after our first was born, 'cuz she'd heard it was good for milk production. She produced like a goddamned cow and her A cup went all the way to DD. It was fucking glorious. But I couldn't touch them; they were too sore from the mass amounts of milk pressure...

Good thing my first was a good eater. Second? Not so much...

On 4/18/2020 at 12:22 AM, tx 3 putt said:

i always forget, a little shiner bock sure taste good in a pot of beans 

tastes good in bread, too. and straight. pretty much good in everything, even ice cream, as Amy's will tell ya

On 4/18/2020 at 12:32 AM, workswithseed said:

Thank God I can find it even up here. 

Yep, their distribution has definitely improved since the 90s... kinda hard to find here in SD, but occasionally Vons or Sprout's has it...

On 4/18/2020 at 6:54 PM, workswithseed said:

Hell yeah. I the back is some homemade queso, not Velveeta.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whatcha usin' to emulsify the cheese? I use sodium citrate, myself...

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

tastes good in bread, too. and straight. pretty much good in everything, even ice cream, as Amy's will tell ya

Yep, their distribution has definitely improved since the 90s... kinda hard to find here in SD, but occasionally Vons or Sprout's has it...

Whatcha usin' to emulsify the cheese? I use sodium citrate, myself...

I can find the seasonal stuff in Fred Meyers sometimes, and the regular stuff at New Seasons.

Emulsify? That's a new one. If it is what I think it means I used half and half.

Emulsify = get oil and water to mix. Important when making queso with any real cheese. Eggs, the water leftover from making noodles, flour + water, sodium citrate, lotsa things do the job. Sodium citrate works great for cheese, and is what American and Velveeta use.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Emulsify = get oil and water to mix. Important when making queso with any real cheese. Eggs, the water leftover from making noodles, flour + water, sodium citrate, lotsa things do the job. Sodium citrate works great for cheese, and is what American and Velveeta use.

We didn't use water. We just put all the veggies and peppers in oil to saute then flour. Next up was half and half then cheese.

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

We didn't use water. We just put all the veggies and peppers in oil to saute then flour. Next up was half and half then cheese.

Yeah, there's water in the veggies and the half and half. It's the flour, combined with the moisture in those, that became the emulsifier. Science!

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Working on a hambone pot of pintos right now.  Had a HUGE hambone (was a whole shoulder joint, had to split it into two pieces).  Sauteed about half an onion, added some pinto bean seasoning, and all the hambone.....here's the beginning of the cook....

278120cd78df1f7f82354229ef3f7ab2.jpg

I'd figured you'd put it in your instapot.

Just now, workswithseed said:

I'd figured you'd put it in your instapot.

Don't know how to use it yet, so don't trust it with something as precious as a major hambone.  I'll probably make a test pot of plain pintos (just with some onion, porkfat/bacon, and seasoning) that I can turn into refrieds to test it out.

BTW, family of four DEMOLISHED that pot of beans.  The boy had two huge bowls himself.  The leftovers are enough for a nice side dish at lunch today, that's it.  I may need to start cooking 2 lbs at a time to have a pot that makes for good leftovers (because leftover beans rule).

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

BTW, family of four DEMOLISHED that pot of beans.  The boy had two huge bowls himself.  The leftovers are enough for a nice side dish at lunch today, that's it.  I may need to start cooking 2 lbs at a time to have a pot that makes for good leftovers (because leftover beans rule).

They’ll make some damn good retried beans 

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this thread in my search to find a borracho beans recipe. I then realized I dont know the difference between pinto beans as they're made in this thread, charro beans, and borracho beans.

Can someone enlighten me?

46 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

I came across this thread in my search to find a borracho beans recipe. I then realized I dont know the difference between pinto beans as they're made in this thread, charro beans, and borracho beans.

Can someone enlighten me?

How the hell did you get the beans above the frank?

So I believe the answer is that most of the styles of cooking pinto beans you see here would put them in charro bean territory.  They have Tex-Mex flair to them in terms of what is being added (pork flavor base, onion, jalapeno, tomatos, etc). Think of it as Cowboy or Tex-Mex "Pork and Beans" 

Borracho just means drunk in Spanish so pretty sure all you do to make Charro beans borracho beans is mix a beer in the recipe.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 8:17 PM, RPM said:

93135274_23844530731640074_1481465173943

I'm disappointed that Dr Pepper would lend their name to that candied up yankee/limey monstrosity 

Serious Bean Co. Serious Bean Co. is a trademark of Good Eats Food Co. of Fayetteville, Arkansas.

sounds about right