Fenves Leaving

Lobwedgephil

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I do think it’s odd.  Last I heard his kids and grandkids are here.  The school he’s going to has nothing to do with his academic area of expertise.  You’d think he’d at least want to be at a school with engineering.  Maybe he wants out of the fishbowl. 

At that level, not sure your academic area of expertise is what matters. Not like he is going to be a lecturer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's not CR.  Removing those statues in the middle of the night with no notice and no open deliberative process is not our standard.

Wait...do you know what CR means?

You believe that debating whether it was right or wrong to take down Civil War monuments that celebrate a side that were in favor of slavery in the middle of the night versus giving notice and having a deliberative process is not a conversation that belongs in the Cloak Room? 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Wait...do you know what CR means?

You believe that debating whether it was right or wrong to take down Civil War monuments that celebrate a side that were in favor of slavery in the middle of the night versus giving notice and having a deliberative process is not a conversation that belongs in the Cloak Room? 

Governor Hogg wasn't even born until 1851.  Never had anything to do with the Civil War.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Governor Hogg wasn't even born until 1851.  Never had anything to do with the Civil War.

My mistake. I thought you were intelligent enough to know the difference between having the debate and why this is the improper forum. Please continue 

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, 1978horn said:

Provost and the President leaving within a week of each other....something else is going on.

my guess.

big 12 is going to play football in the fall endangering lives of fans congregating and catching CV. against their objections, UT is pressured into following. they are leaving because they don't want to shitshow to land at their feet.

that or he likes southern cooking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He actually wasn’t going to leave, but then Emory flew their offensive coordinator out to meet him on his driveway and he was so moved by the gesture that he changed his mind.

Seriously, though, very big meh on this guy for a number of reasons.   We should do better as long as we don’t let Korn Ferry or Steve Patterson choose his replacement.

I normally like  your takes, a lot, so am curious why "meh"?

Everyone loved Powers and he was a good fundraiser, but it's almost like he was having too much fun with the job.  He kept Dodds and MBTF around too long (and the latter shouldn't have been his call).  And also I think had too much "fun" having big donors and legislators suck up to get their moron spawn into the university, leading to a scandal (probably kept us out of hotter water in the recent one).

From what I know of the guy (law student who never actually had him), he was a pretty nice and fun dude.  So much so, in fact, that questions of insincerity or "cult of personality" always lurked.  He did go through several law students as spouses/partners (hence my "reputed cocksman" comment some years back).

I liked Fenves.  I didn't "dislike" Powers, but always was a bit suspicious.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Emory is a great school, and certainly less pressure.

I don’t know if Fenves was really that good or not, because it’s hard to see behind the curtain.  I thought he always had the same look that Austin Mayor Steve Adler has — smiling “deer in headlights” look

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I normally like  your takes, a lot, so am curious why "meh"?

Everyone loved Powers and he was a good fundraiser, but it's almost like he was having too much fun with the job.  He kept Dodds and MBTF around too long (and the latter shouldn't have been his call).  And also I think had too much "fun" having big donors and legislators suck up to get their moron spawn into the university, leading to a scandal (probably kept us out of hotter water in the recent one).

From what I know of the guy (law student who never actually had him), he was a pretty nice and fun dude.  So much so, in fact, that questions of insincerity or "cult of personality" always lurked.  He did go through several law students as spouses/partners (hence my "reputed cocksman" comment some years back).

I liked Fenves.  I didn't "dislike" Powers, but always was a bit suspicious.

When i was a student, I had lunch with Joe Jamail, Mack and Sally Brown, Bill Powers and a grad student sitting at my table. It was the week before the 2008 RRS.

I cant believe im saying this, but Mack was the douchiest person at the table

33 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

When i was a student, I had lunch with Joe Jamail, Mack and Sally Brown, Bill Powers and a grad student sitting at my table. It was the week before the 2008 RRS.

I cant believe im saying this, but Mack was the douchiest person at the table

Salesmen always reveal themselves. They can't help it.

11 hours ago, 1978horn said:

Provost and the President leaving within a week of each other....something else is going on.

Maurie leaving is nothing sinister.  She has had her sights set on becoming a major university President for some time, and she aimed for SUNY-SB many months ago.  It's a Tier I research institution that is on the brink of becoming the flagship of the SUNY System over Binghamton and Buffalo.  Right now, it would be the equivalent of leaving the #2 post at UT to head up UT-Dallas/UT-Arlington/UT-San Antonio.  She's an East Coast native and she'll do great as a head fundraiser/face of a university.  After she's had a few glasses of wine, she reminds one of Kate McKinnon.  There was probably also a publishing element to this New York move as well (well, Long Island).  She'll do great, she's been wanting something like this for awhile and this is a natural progression. 

Now, the Fenves stuff.  There'll be plenty of speculation on that for the next several weeks.