Fenves Leaving

Lobwedgephil

58 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

When i was a student, I had lunch with Joe Jamail, Mack and Sally Brown, Bill Powers and a grad student sitting at my table. It was the week before the 2008 RRS.

I cant believe im saying this, but Mack was the douchiest person at the table

You weren't at the table?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

When i was a student, I had lunch with Joe Jamail, Mack and Sally Brown, Bill Powers and a grad student sitting at my table. It was the week before the 2008 RRS.

I cant believe im saying this, but Mack was the douchiest person at the table

How was their tipping game ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wonder, too, if all the talk of "free college," which would seem to implicate state schools first, made a private school look like a less-challenging venue?

Oil tanking means finances might be....interesting. Get out before that hits 

• Like 2

We saw Mack and Sally at Julio's in Hyde Park. My wife and I smiled and politely said Hi to them as they were sitting at their table and eating.

Mack winked at my wife and ignored me. Mack cuckolded me, so I whipped out my penis and nutted on Sally.

That last sentence may be fiction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Good point.  I was a student all during $20/bbl oil and things were more or less OK, unless you were a PEn student.  State funding levels were higher then, though.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

hmmmm, this is a great observation. The budget crunch is going to be a real bitch probably leading to wide changes in how and how many they teach and layoffs for faculty and administration.

• Like 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

hmmmm, this is a great observation. The budget crunch is going to be a real bitch probably leading to wide changes in how and how many they teach and layoffs for faculty and administration.

Another good point.  Current staffing levels didn't exist during $20/bbl oil.  I'm sure that's going to be a challenge.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

We saw Mack and Sally at Julio's in Hyde Park. My wife and I smiled and politely said Hi to them as they were sitting at their table and eating.

Mack winked at my wife and ignored me. Mack cuckolded me, so I whipped out my penis and nutted on Sally.

That last sentence may be fiction.

You played it wrong. He cuckolds you, you cuckold him- should have nutted on Greg Davis.

• Like 4

“Passion” studies may no longer be affordable and god forbid we reduce administrators. 

Now would be the time to trim the fat and make some cuts. Doubt he wanted that kind of heat and responsibility as any constriction will surely be met with calls of racism or prejudice etc.  Why put yourself through that if you have other options?

The next person will be the hatchet man and take what comes with it. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 minutes ago, freyguy said:

At first I thought it was the former general guy, but I guess that was the wrong position.  Don't know who this Fenves dude is/was.  Don't care.  Whatever.

Admiral.

McRaven.  He was Chancellor of the System, not the University.

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This and All the remote learning has to make some people question need for massive university campus with continuous construction. 

Also, can we buck the Austin/UT and take someone from outside California for once? 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

This and All the remote learning has to make some people question need for massive university campus with continuous construction. 

Also, can we buck the Austin/UT and take someone from outside California for once? 

Powers had been at UT for what, 20-25 years?

Faulkner was a UT alum and came from Illinois.

Won't count Flawn twice, but zero Cali connection.

You have to go back 25 years to find another one straight from the Cal system in Berdahl.

And, I don't really see a problem with people from the Cali System.  It's the most analogous to ours and probably what we should strive to be.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

the med school was approved and starting before he took over, but he was the one that was around when it was getting built and staffed

he did pretty good with that

fundraising has not been that great under him and I don't think he would be that good at a major fundraiser and UT is due for one of those (UT seems to like to start them when the economy and oil or both are in the shitter)

4 to 6 years is about average though he is young for a university president so that should not hold per say.....but it looks like about 5 years exactly so you have to wonder if it was planned all along......he took over for a guy that was around forever and was basically picked from "the crowd" with not much of a search so he would had to have been a top leader to really push through anything major

he did a lot of things though....stabilized athletics for the most part, med school up and running, kissed ass to the dickheads that ran off Powers, Cigaro, and McRaven....unfortunately what he did was really not amazing....no major increase on research, no major gifts other than to athletics, no major faculty hires...he is a good guy to hold the wheel after you have sailed through troubled waters and are heading to port....UT is in port right now and there is a lot of shit to get done

probably a major fundraiser, get the Port Aransas campus rebuilt and up and running.....UT could probably use a new research vessel there and they could probably make better use of that facility overall and perhaps land a major research SHIP from the NOAA

the Astronomy facilities and GMT are going well, Super Computers are up to snuff, Balcones could probably use some new major facilities besides the super computer, Breckenridge needs to be squared away and the City of Austin told to fuck off on charity and begging, research at the med school needs to start ramping up and overall research funding needs to bump up.....I think that requires a more dynamic leader that comes from outside.....it is too bad that aggy hired the UW president and then basically made him a puppet for not-so-smart or he could have done amazing at UT....then again perhaps he wanted to just ride the pine and retire with a fat salary and fat retirement and aggy is known for that

Greg you seemed like an OK guy, thanks for getting a few things squared away.....enjoy your new job I am glad you saw it was a time for change no ill will hope the best for you

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Good point.  I was a student all during $20/bbl oil and things were more or less OK, unless you were a PEn student.  State funding levels were higher then, though.

I was that guy in the mid '80s.  It sucked. And it was $10/bbl.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

UT-Austin operating expenses were underwritten by the State at about 50% in the 80’s. The State’s share was about 10% more recently. And, 15 years or so ago, Perry deregulated tuition.

I read a couple of years ago that Texas' funding from the State is now so low that it barely meets the criteria for a State school.

21 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Does "alum" necessarily equate to "graduated"? 

Only curious. 

Yeah, I mean I only attended UT for 2.5 years.  I worry some nights that Rex Kramer doesn't think of me as either an alum, nor a graduate.  

And yes, as stated above, we're barely around 12% for state support of UT.  Who knows what this next cycle will bring to several land grant universities around the nation? 

• 4 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 8:59 AM, AustinMT said:

Emory is a great school, and certainly less pressure.

I don’t know if Fenves was really that good or not, because it’s hard to see behind the curtain.  I thought he always had the same look that Austin Mayor Steve Adler has — smiling “deer in headlights” look

Yep, a couple of morticians.