Android VR Help

Here is where we are with social distancing. Years ago I bought a phone, I think it was maybe a S5 or S6, and it came with a VR Headset. Some sort of Oculus. It was pretty damn cool. The headset had a port for your phone to plug into when you put it into the headset, and it would automagically launch the Oculus home. It had its own web browser and store to download apps. It already had a number of default apps in it - shit like Netflix, etc. You could do all of that within the headset. 

Out of boredom I ordered a headset last week for my current phone - an S8. It was some Destek off of Amazon that had decent reviews and came with a remote. I've been fucking around with it for 2 nights but the experience kind of sucks so far. Is there some sort of "home" app that I can get that will mimic the Oculus setup described above? I downloaded "Cardboard" thinking it was similar but it's not. You have to download apps individually in the play store, and basically you have to launch them on your phone individually, and then pop the phone into the headset to get them to work. Not very seamless or convenient. I tried to download Oculus but it doesn't seem to let me go forward unless I have one of their headsets. Individual apps are pretty cool if I can figure out the controls but what a pain to have to pop my phone out every time I want to enter/exit an app. Doesn't seem right. 

What's the best way to do this?