Weekly moderator election thread.

immamac

On 4/7/2020 at 4:30 PM, immamac said:

This used to be a thread accepting mod applications now we are electing a mod for a week. First election Monday top rep earner for the week gets elected.

Choose wisely 

30 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Hugo? How do I donate to your campaign sir?

Sign out front should have told you - rep @Beau Vine to make him mod for the week

I am curious about something. 

I came to a previous incarnation of Surly, because of a fellow moderator on a different forum who was always posting links to a previous version of Surly in the mod forums, and passing around links to Thujone's artwork (said mod was groverat, although he got banned early on from either Shaggy or something before Shaggy I think, so maybe few remember him).   Keep in mind this was over 10 years ago (I stopped moderating due to a job change and the birth of my first kid)., and was a heavily modified vBulletin,  and we charged $10 for every new account (which cut out a lot of shit posters and provided money to run the forum since it was/is massive).

Anyways, I was part of a group of mods for a specific subforum for 6-7 years, and we had a fairly simple moderation system.  Increasing periods of probation where you weren't allowed to post, followed by bans/permabans.  

This was roughly how it played out:  Ignore the forum or subform rules, post nudes outside of certain forums, etc., your post was reported.  If it was in my subforum, I would see it in a moderation queue when I logged in, I would look at the post, and I would make a recommendation of either the post is fine, or the poster deserves probation or a ban, and then an admin would sign off on it.  

First offense, as long as it wasn't too bad (like blasting out nudes to a bunch of SFW forums) - put on probation for 12 or 24 hours, no posting, and your avatar was changed to a jailed avatar during that time, and the avatar linked to the post in question.  Do it again, on probation for 48 hours, then a week, then two weeks, and sometimes a month.  If it reached the point where they were on probation for a month or two, it was usually a ban.  We mods would make the recommendations (we had leeway with the hours/days, like on a game day, putting a sports fan on probation for 5-6 hours could be excruciating) and the admins would approve them.  

If people got banned, they could pay their $10 and get a new account, but if they were too shitty, they would be permabanned, and every account/sock they came up with would be banned on site.  So it could get expensive for them quickly.

Everybody could see why they were put on probation (jailed avatar linked to the specific post), and it was extremely smooth.

So why not put people on probation from posting for 12 or 24 hours, then 48, then a week, two weeks,, then a month or a ban?  Seems like it would massively cut down on admins/mods having to individually approve posts, and having some kind of probation avatar with a link to the post in question would let everybody know what was happening.

Mods don't need to approve posts anymore I wrote sql in the back end to take care of it for certain threads. Now it's only bans or go into the mod queue that auto hides your posts in the Daily Texan threads. 

The moderation load outside of this bullshit covid thread isn't any higher or tedious than it used to be. It's just everyone has gone full regard in that thread. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Is this real? making assholes moderators for a week? seems kind of risky?

How do we rig the election - is it really all about rep? can I just pay to be a weekly mod? I think I can find tree fiddy laying around?

No seriously, we should make a concerted effort to mod someone - post your nominations below, and we will rep the shit out of them for a week.

Hell  yeah. I'll vote for you. 

Mods don't need to approve posts anymore I wrote sql in the back end to take care of it for certain threads. Now it's only bans or go into the mod queue that auto hides your posts in the Daily Texan threads. 
The moderation load outside of this bullshit covid thread isn't any higher or tedious than it used to be. It's just everyone has gone full regard in that thread. 

Is that why I keep getting 502 errors?

On 5/17/2020 at 2:00 PM, futureman said:

she sounds like a real cunt. 

She actually has a quite gifted poisonous tongue. Sure, that doesn't necessarily prevent her from being ornery but she's got the gift of gab.

Edited by bolverk

• 2 weeks later...