The Amp Pron Thread.... (guitar or bass)

Napoleon

I'm using the quarantine to finally learn to play the guitar. I have acquired a few electrics with varying styles of pickups (p90s, single coil, humbuckers) and am now looking for an amp to buy online. 

Though I'm not going to go this big to start...

dicbgyb5nulfps6di7xa.jpg

I was wondering what amps people have at home and what might be recommended for a beginner. (Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.)

Photos are always welcome.

• 3 years later...

Have been playing live a lot more this summer, nothing big, but one-man band stuff and sitting in with some local bands at pubs, little outdoor venues, one festival.  Anyway, as far as sitting-in-with-bands, I've played mostly electric guitar, but have been asked to play bass, acoustic guitar and keyboards as well, and encountered a few problems.  I had to turn down the acoustic guitar and keyboard opportunities because I wasn't really set up well to do them live.  I've had times I was plugged through a modeler direct to PA and been unable to hear myself because they had no monitors, etc... 

Anyway, this has put me on a quest to find something with a 1x12 combo footprint that could work for all those instruments that has a line out to go to PA but a speaker and enough power to be a self monitor.  I just ordered these two items from Sweetwater.

This has the 1x12 footprint, enough power to be a self-monitor and handle a small pub alone, a line out to go to PA for sound reinforcement when needed, the speaker to handle all those instruments, something akin to 4 channel mixer for busking/1man band gigs/band practice, individual channel EQ, post EQ, and some built in effects.

In addition to that, I bought a Tonex pedal.  This is an AI powered amp profiler for guitar and bass, and reviews are pretty good as far as tones go.  It's real small, which is important to me.  I need to fit into whatever space isn't being taken up by the band, so I want something that will fit into the pocket of a gig bag vs needing its own gig bag.  I've been using Fractal/AxeFX products for awhile now, so if this doesn't work out, I'll return it and get a Fractal FM3 which is slightly bigger and significantly more expensive but can play presets I've made for the AxeFX.

My hope is that I'll have just a single 1x12 combo-sized thing sitting around cluttering up my space, and when I have an opportunity to play, I'll just be able to throw it, a couple cords, and the gig bag with whatever instrument I'll be playing into the truck and go.  If its electric guitar/bass, I'll also make sure the tonex is in the gig bag.

This is all theoretical.  It may turn out to be shit, I dunno.  I'll post more about how the experiment works.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

20240316_182529.thumb.jpg.a2a5fd9059fe39449d47c159b8fc9485.jpg

I've had this (well, technically it was my brother's until the 1990s) since it was brand new.

Speaker's blown. Amp still good. Well, the preamp is still good.

I can get a decent speaker (Eminence Legend CA154) for... oh, $180 or so. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost, for a piece of equipment that's barely worth $300...

Also worth mentioning I barely use the thing. But it's one rare case where I find modifying my bass sound easier and better through the amp than through VST emulators (I have TH3 and just downloaded the Marshall Silver Jubilee VST.

Fix or ditch?