Coronavirus Antibody test available in Austin

blacklab

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

In Dallas I know Baylor Scott and White isn’t running antibody testing at the moment because of their concerns regarding the inaccuracies of the antibody testing, and the variations in quality from the companies creating the tests. Said PCR tests take a degree of technology and technique that weed out lots of companies. Antibody testing is “simpler” is being developed by lots of companies, but specificity and sensitivity vary significantly.

I don’t understand this. PCR is looking for RNA or DNA (RNA in this case of the active virus), so it is a test that you currently have it. Antibody tests determine if your immune system produced antibodies against it, meaning you are getting or got over it. If you are 8+ days without symptoms and cleared the virus, a PCR test wouldn’t tell you anything (except that you don’t currently have it).

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

The @atxconcertqueen on Instagram took the test today and came back positive. She said she was sick like three weeks ago. Check out her Instagram she is Very Rude. 9ecf021abfbfdb003b562f8346922f95.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

¡Ay, corona!

I don’t understand this. PCR is looking for RNA or DNA (RNA in this case of the active virus), so it is a test that you currently have it. Antibody tests determine if your immune system produced antibodies against it, meaning you are getting or got over it. If you are 8+ days without symptoms and cleared the virus, a PCR test wouldn’t tell you anything (except that you don’t currently have it).

I meant that there is more comfort in the PCR test being accurate, versus a wider spread of reliability in the antibody testing. Yes, they are two different tests useful to two different purposes. PCR useful for active cases; antibody testing useful to determine if you previously had the disease.