Coronavirus Political Victory Lap

And this big, tough looking guy comes up to me and he's crying...he tells me he's never cried before.  And he says Mr. President, Sir, what you did Sir, you saved America Sir. 

You forgot the bit about “being so good looking and straight out of central casting”.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Let's give credit where credit is due.  Speaker Pelosi appointed this bright lady to chair the Congressional Coronavirus Task Force.  Glad to know Speaker Pelosi is taking this serious.

spacer.png

You mean the bright lady who has a more impressive education and career than you?

• Like 6

When I was driving to the liquor store today without my cell phone, which is over a mile from my house but I digress, there was something I caught the tail end of on the radio about suicides in March were through the roof.  Anyone have any data on that?  

BTW, Top 15 county or location death totals from JH site as of today  for the entirety of USA locations reporting to them at 2pm-ish 4-8-2020:

1.)   4009  NYC, NY

2.)   822 Unassigned, NY(I assume people afraid to give address for whatever reason?)

3.)   500  Nassau, NY

4.)   402 Wayne, Michigan

5.)   283 Westchester, NY

6.)   263 Bergen, New Jersey

7.)   263 Suffolk, New York

8.)   249 Cook, Illinois

9.)   232 Essex, New Jersey

10.)   230 King, Washington

11.)   205 Oakland, Michigan

12.)   185 Orleans, LA

13.)  173 LA, CA

14.)  137 Jefferson, LA

15.)  135 Rockland, NY

16.)   132 Fairfield, Connecticut

17.)  121 Macomb, Michigan

18.)  103  Hudson, New Jersey

19.)  100  Middlesex, New Jersey

20.)  95   Union, New Jersey

And this big, tough looking guy comes up to me and he's crying...he tells me he's never cried before.  And he says Mr. President, Sir, what you did Sir, you saved America Sir. 
I half expect him to say it at a briefing... during a quarantine. And 30% wil accept it without question.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Let's give credit where credit is due.  Speaker Pelosi appointed this bright lady to chair the Congressional Coronavirus Task Force.  Glad to know Speaker Pelosi is taking this serious.

spacer.png

170526_vod_orig_eyntk_kushnerMIX_16x9_99

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You mean the bright lady who has a more impressive education and career than you?

Yeah, the one who thought Vietnam was still split between two countries and that Neal Armstrong landed on Mars.  That one.  I mean it isn't fair to expect someone born in 1950 to know about the Vietnam War or lunar landing.  Those were not big deals at all for that generation.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

We'll get Trump's victory lap in mid-may when the curve lowers and he re-opens the country for a few weeks before it spikes back up and we're exactly where we are now.

If Dotard re-opens this country a little more than a month from now I hope he starts up his rallies again. Might as well get the cultists together who do not believe this is serious so they can see the consequences of not listening to medical professionals. 

He is definitely going to take a victory lap. His actions follow the same course in every terrible thing he has done in his life up to this point, especially so since becoming president. He denies there is a problem initially, makes things worse with the diarrhea he spews all over the place on twitter and then at the end he steps in and tells everyone how he solved the problem.  The total number of deaths could have been much lower if this buffoon had taken action months earlier. He did not and his cult is so ridiculously gone at this point that they believe everything he says. We have his own words as evidence that he thought this was just a joke and not serious. Then he steps in later and says he knew how serious this was at one of his dumpsterside chats. I would be infuriated if it wasn't so sad that his supporters believe him when he says this or that he knows more than the medical professionals working on this virus. 

Yeah, the one who thought Vietnam was still split between two countries and that Neal Armstrong landed on Mars.  That one.  I mean it isn't fair to expect someone born in 1950 to know about the Vietnam War or lunar landing.  Those were not big deals at all for that generation.
You voted for a guy that failed coloring.3ee13c5ce4ed886115ce7b92a9d5543d.jpg
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:
Wait, are you suggesting we should not trust everything the WHO says?

You should verify early "preliminary" findings. Not that it matters in a scenario when an American president has a track record of dismissing American intelligence in favor of the word of foreign autocratic regimes, much less multi-national orgs.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

spacer.png

She's a trainwreck.  She's part of the reason you and I belong to the same party.  It's just that for such a self-congratulatory member...we've never heard of you in real life.  You're honestly so beyond insignificant despite being born to rich parents, it's beyond our understanding.  I mean, I'm a nobody from a nothing family from Illinois and I've risen through the ranks at 10x the speed of you.  I just don't like Trump and I still got into party leadership.  You remain an absolute fucking zero in real life.  Happy to talk about it off-line...

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

spacer.png

I wonder if she knows not to stare at the sun...

• Like 1

Spoiler

The Event 201 scenario

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/scenario.html

Event 201 simulates an outbreak of a novel zoonotic coronavirus transmitted from bats to pigs to people that eventually becomes efficiently transmissible from person to person, leading to a severe pandemic. The pathogen and the disease it causes are modeled largely on SARS, but it is more transmissible in the community setting by people with mild symptoms.

The disease starts in pig farms in Brazil, quietly and slowly at first, but then it starts to spread more rapidly in healthcare settings. When it starts to spread efficiently from person to person in the low-income, densely packed neighborhoods of some of the megacities in South America, the epidemic explodes. It is first exported by air travel to Portugal, the United States, and China and then to many other countries. Although at first some countries are able to control it, it continues to spread and be reintroduced, and eventually no country can maintain control.

There is no possibility of a vaccine being available in the first year. There is a fictional antiviral drug that can help the sick but not significantly limit spread of the disease.

Since the whole human population is susceptible, during the initial months of the pandemic, the cumulative number of cases increases exponentially, doubling every week. And as the cases and deaths accumulate, the economic and societal consequences become increasingly severe.

The scenario ends at the 18-month point, with 65 million deaths. The pandemic is beginning to slow due to the decreasing number of susceptible people. The pandemic will continue at some rate until there is an effective vaccine or until 80-90 % of the global population has been exposed. From that point on, it is likely to be an endemic childhood disease.

Edited by zork

The lap starts at around 5 pm most days.  A list of meaningless numbers, self congratulations, and a complete avoidance of any responsibility.

Yep... sounds like a Trump victory lap... only weird thing is the bodies keep piling up, the economy keeps heading into the shitter, and our President honestly thinks he should be CONGRATULATED on his greatness....

1 hour ago, zork said:

2.)   822 Unassigned, NY(I assume people afraid to give address for whatever reason?)

Personally, I wouldn't assume that. Other reasons could be patient too ill to confirm location, homeless, undocumented, transfer from other hospital, etc.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Was his name Marine Todd?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Personally, I wouldn't assume that. Other reasons could be patient too ill to confirm location, homeless, undocumented, transfer from other hospital, etc.

More likely that they wanted to aggregate small county NY deaths so they can be represented on the list.

58 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

If only we had some sort of intelligence agencies that we could use to know what is really going on in other countries.....

Adam Schiff didn't seem all that bothered by the very same intelligence reports.  Nor did anyone else who saw them. I am sure their intelligence reports all the time about potential threats.  The medical experts were saying until late January that there was no person to person transmission.  Dr. Fauci in late February was stating the risk to Americans was low.  Those medical experts are the ones you listen to on the risk of spread.

Jesus, the left bitched and moaned when he issued the travel ban on January 31.  Calling it an overreaction and due to xenophobia.  When he created the Coronavirus task force it was criticized for lacking diversity.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Dr. Fauci in late February was stating the risk to Americans was low.  Those medical experts are the ones you listen to on the risk of spread.

I keep seeing this repeated. The problem is, the last part of what he said gets chopped off. This is from an interview on February 17th.

The risk of coronavirus in this country is still relatively low, but, as I said about the possibility of emerging into a pandemic, this could change. As of today, on the 17th of February, the risk is really relatively low. But we, the public health officials, have to take this seriously enough to be prepared for it changing and there being a pandemic.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I keep seeing this repeated. The problem is, the last part of what he said gets chopped off. This is from an interview on February 17th.

Right. A whole lot of context omitted regarding a contagion with the potential to bloom exponentially in the larger context of an administration with a track record of ejecting officials that don't parrot the administration's narrative a week and a half before same administration was characterizing the then elevated concern as a hoax from supporters of an administration that was proactive in dismantling agencies and protocols that were formed for this very event. Had this administration only been rudderless and let the federal  "deep state" apparatus handle this instead of limiting their actions to counter-productive sabotage like they've done with healthcare, it would have at a bare minimum, considering the advantageous resources of our country, increased the likelihood of a better, yet to be concluded outcome.

Moscow theater siege

From the Atlantic

At the time, authorities claimed no child died in the siege. The families of the dead, however, say as many as 10 children were killed.
Ten years on, the probe into the deaths is still underway and investigators have failed to release even preliminary findings.

_63681365_63681364.jpg

Trump likes to emulate the Russians. Did they not get a ton of the hostages killed but still took a victory lap.

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Right. A whole lot of context omitted regarding a contagion with the potential to bloom exponentially in the larger context of an administration with a track record of ejecting officials that don't parrot the administration's narrative a week and a half before same administration was characterizing the then elevated concern as a hoax from supporters of an administration that was proactive in dismantling agencies and protocols that were formed for this very event. Had this administration only been rudderless and let the federal  "deep state" apparatus handle this instead of limiting their actions to counter-productive sabotage like they've done with healthcare, it would have at a bare minimum, considering the advantageous resources of our country, increased the likelihood of a better, yet to be concluded outcome.

Jeffrey Lancashire (public relations officer at CDC) email from August 31, 2017:

"Effective immediately and until further notice, any and all correspondence with any member of the news media, regardless of the nature of the inquiry, must be cleared through CDC's Atlanta Communications Office," Lancashire wrote. "This correspondence includes everything from formal interview requests to the most basic of data requests."

This caused some problems for leaders at the CDC. Dr. Birx had been with the CDC prior to being appointed within the State Dept. Dr. Fauci is within NIH. But Dr. Nancy Messonnier, Director at the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), at the CDC was who was most often giving the telebriefings to reporters beginning in January and that was when the scientists and the administration began to butt heads.

From the Jan. 17 telebrief:

Based on the information that CDC has today, we believe the current risk from this virus to the general public is low.  For a family sitting around the dinner table tonight this is not something that they generally need to worry about....

As relates to the spread of the virus, we’re still learning more.  While most of these infections seem to be happening from animals to people, there is some indication that limited person-to-person spread is happening, including outside of Asia. ...I think we are concerned anytime there is a new virus or a new pathogen emerging in a population that hasn’t seen it before because what it means is that populations don’t have existing immunity, and we don’t have specific treatments or vaccines.  So we’re always concerned about that.  In this particular situation, we are especially concerned about a novel coronavirus because we have the precedent of MERS and SARS, and those were quite complicated, difficult outbreaks with many people getting ill and deaths, and so understanding that this pathogen looks, at least from a genetic perspective, like those pathogens makes us especially worried.  It doesn’t take much for a virus in general to go from being worrisome to being extremely worrisome because they tend to morph and mutate a lot, and so that’s why in this class of viruses, we are especially worried and we’re taking a very cautious proactive approach....

At the next briefing on January 21, the first US patient with COVID in Washington (state) had been confirmed. The first question out of the gate was about the embargo (release of the info by the press until specified date/etc) Perhaps relating to the case test results.

Reporter from STAT: Could we get something clear off the top.   This was supposed to be an embargoed press conference, but this news is out.  We can assume the embargo has lifted, yes?

Messonnier: I understand the answer to that is yes.

And this is what I really don't understand with respect to how some of the testing ended up failing so badly. I don't know how much was the attempt to roll out large scale testing kits, something that undoubtedly (as Fauci said) is actually faster when private industry can do it because they can scale up more quickly  because when this patient reported to his doctor on Jan. 19, they had his results back the next day. I guess because it was only one sample, they could do it rapidly with the PCR but still a little odd. Note that his case was only two days after she had given her first telebriefing on the 17th and one day after Alex Azar was reportedly able to get through to speak with Trump. At this time the CDC had three people on staff in China at that time working with the ministry of health but they were in Beijing and not working in epidemiology as was the staffer removed in July.

On January 24, Messonnier gave another telebriefing.

We understand that some people are worried about this virus and how it may impact Americans.  While this situation poses a very serious public health threat, CDC believes that the immediate risk to the U.S. public is low at this time, but the situation continues to evolve rapidly....

This is a rapidly changing situation both abroad and domestically, and we are still learning.  Let’s remember this virus is identified within the past month and there is much we don’t know yet.  We are expecting more cases in the U.S., and we are likely going to see some cases among close contacts of travelers and human to human transmission. 

Dr. Marty Cetron (also with CDC): As you would expect, we are reevaluating the approach, and as I said earlier when we first began entry screening with a clear focus on the epidemic epicenter that we would continue to evaluate the balance and utility of a border entry screening program based on the totality of the circumstances.  Those circumstances have clearly changed.  We are reevaluating that approach and watching for both expansion to other cities as well as concentrating the efforts.  As you heard today, it is really important to point out that both of the initial first two U.S. cases were asymptomatic and afebrile when they arrived. 

One of the subsequent telebriefings that began to cause issues was this one on January 31 and related to the quarantine order:

While we recognize this is an unprecedented action, we are facing an unprecedented public health threat.  And this is one of the tools in our toolbox to mitigate the potential impact of this novel virus on the united states.  This legal order is part of an aggressive public health response, the goal of which is to prevent, as much as possible, community spread with this novel virus in the united states. 

Followed up by February 3:

What I would say is this is an unprecedented situation and we have taken aggressive measures.  A couple of weeks ago there were 41 cases in China.  This morning the numbers are 17,000.  17,000 cases with a novel virus, novel coronavirus that the population doesn’t have immunity to, and for which, because things have been moving so quickly, we don’t have the information base that we want.  As I said, largely expanding outbreak; person-to-person and community transmission in China.  Deaths inside China, and now a death outside of China.  Concerning data suggesting that people who are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic may be transmitting the disease. All of those are worrisome data points.  This is an aggressive action by the United States, but our goal is to slow this thing down. 

Messonnier continued with the telebriefings until the President began holding them in the press room, and in some ways, it was too bad. Although there was always a CDC media person with the doctor(s) when they held the calls, it did keep the questions upon the pandemic response. I can see why that might have been problematic for the administration if they had a different agenda or motives. Certainly, the HHS telebriefing in February with Alex Azar, et al was much milder that what Messonnier was conveying and she was pilloried for it because that witch scientist was going to ruin HIS wonderful and perfect economy.

That was a very long way to say I agree with you.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
edit
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I saw a bunch of trump idiots trying to do a victory lap earlier today in the Covid thread because reasons.  This thread may already be out of date.

Seriously, this is the strangest thing I've ever seen. A bunch of idiots are acting like this over after we just had the worse day yet (yesterday) and are matching or surpassing it today. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Others have already provided citations/examples for the various letters, etc that Senators and Congresspeople had submitted to HHS Secretary Azar and others  beginning in January in another thread so they are already collated and ready to go but they don't bolster Mr. Sack's thesis.

Regardless, the mitigation efforts nation wide may help keep the death toll from being worse, but at the same time Americans should realize it could have been even lower but for circumstances both within (pandemic planning/early response w/o obstruction) and without our control (China being China.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Okay, so she's stupid.  No argument here.

Trump is also stupid, and a racist, and a xenophobe, and a rapist, and a con man who is using the presidency to enrich his family and friends, and an admirer of and useful idiot to people like Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un.  Trump has frayed important alliances that are older than he is.  He has damaged our international reputation even more than W did, which should have been impossible.  And he may have done irreparable damage to the office of the presidency.  And now his botched handling of a pandemic has cost thousands of American lives. 

But yeah, there's a dumb Democrat in Congress.  Touche'.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1